Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

97 tj takes time to start

View previous topic :: View next topic  
erther

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:27 am    Post subject: 97 tj takes time to start Reply with quote

I just bought a 97 tj. looks and sounds like its in good condition, and i have no complaints except one so far. when turning it on, the starter will try for about 5-10 seconds before the engine starts, unless you give it gas as you are turning it off. before the tj I had a 96 xj which would start very quickly, and it was older and in much worse condition. I'm thinking maybe an o2 sensor is dirty or something? any suggestions?
mucker111

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a dirty fuel tank vent?
Can't remember what the thing is....but have heard of ppl have issues.

Is there any noise when you remove the gas tank cap after driving for a bit? Likea suction hiss?
guesswho369

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same problem here - I bought mine a month ago (97 cyl) and it seems to be starting slower and slower. Did you ever find anything out?
erther

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nope, never found out anything, but it hasn't gotten any worse, so I'm just not going to worry about it until it does. One of my mechanicaly-minded friends told me about a few cars he and his friends have had/worked on with the same problem, and usually it was much more expensive and time-intensive to fix to worry about, since the symptoms never worsened.
guesswho369

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if it's pertinent (I'm no mechanic), but what about clogged injectors? You may try and run a few tanks through with injector cleaner to see if you notice any dif at all
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely the fuel filter is starting to clog. Over time they will plug up till eventually the engine will fire and stall. This can happen faster if the vehicle sits for a while.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
guesswho369

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to drop my fuel tank to install a skid plate anyway - I'll just change the FF then and be done with it...
chappy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something else you may check is the fuel pump.

If the seals are starting to go on the pump the fuel volume in the line can bleed down while the key is off. The long start is the pump reprimeing the line. I had a cherokee that did the same thing. I would think that if it was the filter you would have some stumbling while running down the road from lack of fuel getting through the filter at higher rpms.

Just my tow cents.

Matt
guesswho369

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what it's doing, actually - if I go to start it wihtin 10 minutes after switching off it starts fine. Thanks!
monkonmonk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:46 am    Post subject: regulator Reply with quote

Another thing you may check is the fuel regulator which is outside the tank, but on top. Much cheaper than the fuel pump and filter combo. The regulator is what maintains pressure when the jeep is turned off. If the seals in it go bad, when you turn off the jeep the fuel runs slowly back down to the tank and then there is all this dead space that the fuel has to come all the way from the gas tank. Good Luck with what you find!
guesswho369

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So maybe just check the seals, huh?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: