Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dozen newb questions :)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gamgan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: Dozen newb questions :) Reply with quote

been reading as many post as can trying to find the answers myself before asking, but there is a bunch of questions I have, and dont know any other jeep owners in the area that I could ask ( I know theres a few jeep clubs in Puerto Rico, just have to find them)

bought a TJ98 Sahara 2 months ago and love it but have a ton of questions but will only start with a few;

1) Why torx bolts on jeeps? Dont they have a better chance of wasting away in the inside when you have to remove tightly bound bolts? And is it a safe practice, as I remove torx bolts on my jeep for any reason to replace them with normal bolts?

2) When I do remove bolts, should I W-40 every thing before I put them back on, too keep it from rusting? or is there another product I should be using?

3) the speed chip I keep seeing on ebay, that adds 20hp, is it a safe item to use or not recommended ?

4) for a 6 cylinder motor my jeep feels a little slugish, might be that I dont know how to drive her yet, but if it is the motor thats responding a little sluggish, will replacing my intake for a custom one help any?

5) Is there a site, that I can look up that will explain the types of mods that are recommended for the type of offroading you will do? Or are they pretty much all multipurpose mods?
( I ask because I read some where that you should not put a winch if you plan on submerging your jeep often 'cause it will ruin your winch)

6) Since I have a 98TJ Sahara is it not recomended that I do certain offroading with her till she has been modified?
( Example I was told that since I have airbags, that they would have to be disabled if I ever wanted to do serious offroading, and since I have carpets, cloth seats and a few other things I would have to change a lot of things to make my jeep an offroad vehicle)

7) Where is a good place to order small misc items to replace damage / lost items on my jeep? I mean stuff like, the bolts that go on my doors, the caps that go on the lights under the dash, odd bits an pieces.

8 ) I want to add a extra set of lights on the windsheild, next to the side view mirrors. Since I already have a set of foglights, should I get them as a extra set of foglights, or driver lights or what is recommended? ( like a spot light or something? I just want them because I like how they look but if I can get a good use out of them even better)

9) I would like to install OME 2.5 lifts, how much in parts alone will this run me? I can look up the OME lifts on quadratec.com but was not sure what else would be needed or recommended when these where installed. I have 31' tires on stock rims

10) the few bushings I have seen under my jeep seem to be chewed up and more then half gone , so I would like to replace them, is this something a non mechanicaly inclined person can do , or do I need to take it to the shop to get all of the bushings replaced?

11) is there a tech-advice page that will explain how to fix the water leaking under the dash? I know its not the air conditioning because it only happens when it rains, and I have a hard top

Wanted to say thanks for all the advice you guys have given already.
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Dozen newb questions :) Reply with quote

Gamgan wrote:
been reading as many post as can trying to find the answers myself before asking, but there is a bunch of questions I have, and dont know any other jeep owners in the area that I could ask ( I know theres a few jeep clubs in Puerto Rico, just have to find them)

bought a TJ98 Sahara 2 months ago and love it but have a ton of questions but will only start with a few;

1) Why torx bolts on jeeps? Dont they have a better chance of wasting away in the inside when you have to remove tightly bound bolts? And is it a safe practice, as I remove torx bolts on my jeep for any reason to replace them with normal bolts?

Chrysler thought it would be fun to screw with us and use torx bolts and different sixes on almost everything. (Well on my jeep atleast)

2) When I do remove bolts, should I W-40 every thing before I put them back on, too keep it from rusting? or is there another product I should be using?

I use PB Blaster before removing anything and after I put it back on. WD-40 should work fine

3) the speed chip I keep seeing on ebay, that adds 20hp, is it a safe item to use or not recommended ?

Waste of money

4) for a 6 cylinder motor my jeep feels a little slugish, might be that I dont know how to drive her yet, but if it is the motor thats responding a little sluggish, will replacing my intake for a custom one help any?

The 4.0L is about as good as it gets from factory, not to many mods that will actually improve it

5) Is there a site, that I can look up that will explain the types of mods that are recommended for the type of offroading you will do? Or are they pretty much all multipurpose mods?
( I ask because I read some where that you should not put a winch if you plan on submerging your jeep often 'cause it will ruin your winch)

Ask us here, we usually give good advice. Why would you plan on submerging your jeep any way?

6) Since I have a 98TJ Sahara is it not recomended that I do certain offroading with her till she has been modified?
( Example I was told that since I have airbags, that they would have to be disabled if I ever wanted to do serious offroading, and since I have carpets, cloth seats and a few other things I would have to change a lot of things to make my jeep an offroad vehicle)

Your jeep is an offroad jeep already. Carpets come out very easily and the floor board has drain plugs in it so that you can wash out the inside. MY airbags have never gone off while wheeling. The sensor for your airbag is located infront of your center console under the carpet, it's the silver looking box. You'll be fine wheeling unless you plan on ramming things

7) Where is a good place to order small misc items to replace damage / lost items on my jeep? I mean stuff like, the bolts that go on my doors, the caps that go on the lights under the dash, odd bits an pieces.

quadratec.com, 4wheel hardware, etc.

8 ) I want to add a extra set of lights on the windsheild, next to the side view mirrors. Since I already have a set of foglights, should I get them as a extra set of foglights, or driver lights or what is recommended? ( like a spot light or something? I just want them because I like how they look but if I can get a good use out of them even better)

That is your preference, I like the brighter lights of driving lights but fog lights spread out more, doesn't travel as far, and is not as bright

9) I would like to install OME 2.5 lifts, how much in parts alone will this run me? I can look up the OME lifts on quadratec.com but was not sure what else would be needed or recommended when these where installed. I have 31' tires on stock rims

The lift is pretty complete, beside sway bar disconnects, but I still don't have those yet. Eventually you will want to add lower adjustable control arms.

10) the few bushings I have seen under my jeep seem to be chewed up and more then half gone , so I would like to replace them, is this something a non mechanicaly inclined person can do , or do I need to take it to the shop to get all of the bushings replaced?
Yopu should be able to do it your self, but don't get in over your head.

11) is there a tech-advice page that will explain how to fix the water leaking under the dash? I know its not the air conditioning because it only happens when it rains, and I have a hard top

I'm pretty sure that happens in all jeeps, mine does it. I notice it worse when I have the vents on for heat or defrost. I'm sure it would happen with AC also.

Wanted to say thanks for all the advice you guys have given already.
Welcome to the board and enjoy your new jeep

My Morning Jacket
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: