Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

99 Cherokee Sport 4.0L - Possible Transfer Case Problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
xsearnold

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:42 am    Post subject: 99 Cherokee Sport 4.0L - Possible Transfer Case Problem Reply with quote

After coming back from vacation (1.5 wks) I started driving my Jeep Cherokee and heard a noise resembling a tailpipe dragging on the pavement. Checking under the car showed no such problem, so I took it to my local shop (Merlin) and they told me they thought it was the coming from the transfer case. Since they don't handle that sort of thing, I was going to take it to another shop, but the noise went away the next day and hasn't come back since (for a week so far). My brother-in-law, who is a mechanic in North Carolina (servicing forklifts, etc.) said I should probably get the transfer case flushed and then not use my 4WD, as some metal parts may have been ground off making the noise.

I was looking for sources of info on how to do this myself and happened on this forum, but could not easily find the info I was searching for. So, here are my questions:

1) Is my brother-in-law's diagnosis reasonable to assume as correct?
2) Is there a fairly simple DIY method of performing this flush and refill?
3) How much should I expect to be charged for such a service at a transmission shop (ballpark) so I know I'm not being ripped off?

Thanks in advance for any responses.
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure it was coming from your t-case? Changing the fluid isn't that hard - you should see a fill plug and a drain plug on the back of it. The upper one is the fill plug. Remove that first. The lower one is the drain plug. If you can, use a long funnel to get the fluid over the edge of your skid plate and throw a magnet in it. As the fluid drains, let it flow over the magnet then inspect it for metal fragments. After it's all drained, reinstall the drain plug, fill it to just beneath the fill plug (or whatever your manual says) and insert the fill plug. I can't remember exactly how much my local stealership was asking to change the t-case fluid but it seems like it was $150-200. Highway robbery.
xsearnold

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code3TJ wrote:
Are you sure it was coming from your t-case? Changing the fluid isn't that hard - you should see a fill plug and a drain plug on the back of it. The upper one is the fill plug. Remove that first. The lower one is the drain plug. If you can, use a long funnel to get the fluid over the edge of your skid plate and throw a magnet in it. As the fluid drains, let it flow over the magnet then inspect it for metal fragments. After it's all drained, reinstall the drain plug, fill it to just beneath the fill plug (or whatever your manual says) and insert the fill plug. I can't remember exactly how much my local stealership was asking to change the t-case fluid but it seems like it was $150-200. Highway robbery.

No, I'm not sure the noise was coming from the t-case. (My first thought was that it was the U-joint, since I thought the noise was coming from the rear of the car.) However, if the fluid changing is that easy, I suppose it might be as good a place as any to start? I apologize for my ignorance, but am I changing transmission fluid, or some other type? The tossing of a magnet into the mix intrigues me, but, if I don't ask some silly questions, I'm likely to get it wrong and do more damage than good. I'm using a funnel with a tube to get the fluid into the fill plug, but the magnet is in another funnel catching the draining fluid, correct? If the magnet shows no metal filings would this indicate the t-case is NOT the problem?

$150 to change fluid sure seems exorbitant to me.

Thanks for the response!
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll be changing the transfer case fluid. Check you manual, but it should take ATF. I use a small funnel with a flexible drain spout to get it out and away fromt he skid plate. Drop a small magnet in the funnel and let the fluid pour over it. If there are chunks of metal/broken gear teeth, they should collect on the magnet. I have a little pump that attaches to the bottle with a flexible hose to refill it. You can try the funnel route to refill, but if you have limited space, you might have trouble keeping the new ATF from spilling everywhere. Wink
Are your brakes good? Any noise coming from the axle?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Drivetrain All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: