Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

03 Rubicon Tire Size

View previous topic :: View next topic  
D-Rod

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:57 am    Post subject: 03 Rubicon Tire Size Reply with quote

I have a 3 inch Teraflex lift and a one inch body lift. I have 285/75R16 Goodyear MT/Rs right now but they are worn and it's time to buy new ones. I want to get BF Goodrich All Terrains. I know I can fit LT305/70R16s, but would anyone know if I could fit LT315/75R16s with the stock Rubicon wheels and the stock Rubicon gearing. Thanks !!!!
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes they fit the wheels. There basically 35" tire, so not imho the best match for the gearing. 4.56 or 4.88 would be much better.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
ehirner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll likely have issues with the stock 5" backspacing on the Moab wheels with a tire that wide. You'll need quality wheel spacers or aftermarket wheels with more appropriate backspacing. Look in the 4" area.
D-Rod

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What type of issues ? I want to go with the 35" BF Goodrich TA's. But.. I do not need any issues or such. Just need more knowledge. I have a Rubicon with a 3 inch suspension lift and a one inch body lift. If I have to, I will stick with the 33 inch tires. Thanks !!

Dave
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issues you face with the lift you have and 35's on Moab wheels:

1. The offset isnt enough with the Moabs, you will rub alot at full turn and loose alot of turning diameter. A 15x8 or 16x8 with @4" backset would be better suited....or, like ehirner said, use spacers...and only high end spacers at that.

2. IF you disco thefront end for wheeling, you will have problems with the 35's tearing up the front fenders and flares, and the fenders tearing up your tires. For offroad purposes, the lift you have just isnt suitable for 35's. IF your rig isnt ever leaving the asphault, then other than the issues stated in #1, the lift you have will clear the big meats.

3. 4.10 gears work well for 31" and 33" tires on or off road. With the 35's both will start to suffer. On road you will notice that you feel that your starting in 2nd gear at stoplights...then engine will chug a bit. You will end up shifting down for hills that you never worries about before. It wont be horrible, but very noticable. Having the crawl tcase that came in your Rube will help offroad, but without regearing the axles, you will never expeirence its full potential. Reagearing the axles to 4.56 or better yet 4.88 is the only way to overcome the 35" rubber....With the exception of a supercharger, there arent enough engine bolt-ons in the world that could be put on the rig that could outweigh proper gearing.

SO without junking the lift you allready have and going for a 6" longarm set up and proper gears, I would avoid the 35's......especially offroad. Your in SanDiego which puts you in offroad heaven, so Im guessing your planning on doing so. The factory stock TJ's are extreamly offroad capable as is in the hands of a good driver. And Im not just talking the Rubi's either.

The only "pro" side imho of running 35's on that rig, properly spaced, would be in the sand. Sand dunes require large fat aired down tires. Floatation is key or you'lle just bury it to the frame.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: