Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

T-case ATF

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RubiRock

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:36 am    Post subject: T-case ATF Reply with quote

quick question before i order, synthetic ATF is what i should use in the t-case for my 5-speed rubi, correct?
has anyone used Redline C+ ATF in their t-case?

some info per http://www.myoilshop.com/AutoPrds.html
"RED LINE C+ ATF satisfies the performance requirements of Chrysler MS7176, while providing 30% greater operating viscosity, 1/3 the evaporation of petroleum ATFs, and improved oxidation and sludge protection. Red Line C+ ATF provides the exact frictional characteristics required in the MS7176 specification, providing proper shift feel and proper lockup torque converter operation. The use of an improper fluid could cause torque converter shudder or harsh shifting. Red Line C+ ATF also provides the best low-temperature shiftability in automatic transmissions allowing proper shifting at extremely low temperatures and will flow down to temperatures as low as -60C. The improved wear protection makes C+ ATF the perfect automatic transmission or transaxle fluid for Chrysler vehicles."

Doing a long overdue fluid change, so far here's the order list:
Front and Rear Diffs: 4qts 75w90 gear oil (need to check the tags on the diffs to see if i need 75w135 or 90w135 instead)
Tranny : 2qts MT90
T-case: 2qts C+ATF

Any advice/help is greatly appreciated.
imran
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like the right stuff. I run Amsoil syn atf in my tcase. Redline isnt all that readily available where I live atm.

As far as the diffs, Im fairly sure all year model rubes all require the 75-140 range gear lube for both diffs...and no additives. Hear again I use Amsoil.

I would run Redline if I could get it. Years ago when I raced stock cars, I used to run Redline ATF in my tranny and thier gear oil in my rear axle. Back then it used to come only in 1 gallon plastic jugs that had the contents inside written on the jug in magic marker. rofl

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
RubiRock

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="WhatWasIThinkin"]As far as the diffs, Im fairly sure all year model rubes all require the 75-140 range gear lube for both diffs...and no additives. Hear again I use Amsoil.
quote]
so out of these, would the 80w140gear oil be the best?

75W90 Gear Oil - the preferred product in nearly all car and light truck differentials, both conventional and limited-slip. 75W90 is preferred for most racing applications. It contains friction modifier which is recommended for limited-slip units. 75W90 Gear Oil can be used in many transmissions and transaxles; however, other Red Line lubricants have better frictional properties for rapid synchronization. Exceeds API GL-5.

75W90 NS - a GL-5 which does not contain the friction modifiers for limited-slip hypoid differentials. This makes the transmission synchronizers come to equal speeds more quickly, allowing faster shifting and much easier low-temperature shifting. Can also be used in racing limited-slip differentials where weak spring design causes too much wheel spin.

80W140 Gear Oil - generally used in commercial trucks which will climb long, steep grades and some racing applications where power is not critical. Generally 0.5% less efficient than 75W90. Can also be used in differentials and transmissions where excessive noise is a problem and limited-slip differentials which vibrate excessively when turning a corner. Exceeds API GL-5.

75W90NS - recommended for manual transmissions and non-limited-slip transaxles that recommend 90 WT oils. Can be used in racing limited-slip units to increase lockup and reduce wheel spin. Street-driven rear-wheel drive cars should use regular Red Line 75W90 or 80W140.

75W140NS - recommended for manual transmissions and non-limited-slip transaxles that recommend 140 WT oils. Can be used in racing limited-slip units to increase lockup and reduce wheel spin. Street-driven rear-wheel drive cars should use regular Red Line 75W90 or 80W140.

80W140 GEAR OIL - recommended for heavily-loaded and low-speed differentials, including limited-slip, and where reduction of limited-slip chatter or gear noise is required

thanks again for your help and quick response! Cool
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I swear by Redline but it's easy for me to buy. Wink

I've used both 75w90 and 80w140 with no problems. Seems like last time I changed the t-case, I used ATF D4 but double check to see what your manual says so you don't get your warranty voiced.
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF you have a Rubicon then yes the 80w140 gear oil. The Rubicons lockers require the heavier viscosity lube. In my 03 owners manual It only refers to the D30, D35, and non-locked(stock)D44 and what lube to use. My manual makes no reference to the Rubicon diffs.

If you look at the actually id tags on the Rubicons diff covers its stamped on it to use 100% synth 75 or 80w140 gear oil, or something very close to that.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
RubiRock

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks again guys! Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: