Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

(Progress!!) - 95 A/C - Leaks on Floorboard

View previous topic :: View next topic  
95 JGC Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:18 pm    Post subject: (Progress!!) - 95 A/C - Leaks on Floorboard Reply with quote

I just purchased a 95 GC. The first two days I owned it, it rained. Both days I had a lot of water in the floorboard on the passenger side (front and back).

After using towels and a wet/dry vac to extract water, FOUR DAYS LATER, I STILL have a steady drip of water (about 1 drop every 2-5 minutes) coming from the bottom about 12" from the outer edge of the vehicle and located at the front door hinge area.

Does anyone have an idea where the water came from and how to repair? Sad

Last edited by 95 JGC Owner on Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:22 am; edited 2 times in total
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does the rubber door gasket look???

I have heard of TJ's getting a clogged vent and it leaking into the cab..But I have not heard anything about grands doing it...

Maybe someone else has...

Anyone????

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
95 JGC Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The door gaskets are pristine and the windshield is all in tact. We now suspect that the evaporator housing drain hose is clogged, but since it rained so hard for the first two days of ownership, still not sure.

However, does anyone know how to locate the drain hose? We have looked, but it isn't obvious.
95 JGC Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We found this info on an auto repair website (autorepair.about.com). I'll let you know if it works. As I mentioned earlier, the first 2 days of ownership, it rained, but now we have noticed that the A/C condensation does not drain, only a small drip from the frame rail. An A/C drain hose opening from the firewall area does not exist as the Haynes Repair Manual indicates.

---------------------------- Below is a Jeep TSB
AC Evaporator Drain Blockage
NO: 24-06-96
GROUP: Heating & A/C
DATE: June 28, 1996
SUBJECT:
A/C Evaporator Drain Blockage
MODELS:
1993 - 1996 (ZJ) Grand Cherokee/Grand Wagoneer
1993 - 1996 (ZG) Grand Cherokee (overseas markets)
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Debris may collect in the evaporator drain tube area causing blockage of the tube. This can lead to water leaking from the heater housing, water sloshing around in the housing and odor from decayed organic debris. This bulletin provides instructions to gain easy access to the drain tube for clearing foreign matter from the tube, without removal of the heater A/C housing.
DIAGNOSIS:
Operate the system in the A/C mode and verify that water is draining from the system. The water drains into the frame rail and exits in the center of the vehicle. If no water is draining, the system is blocked and requires cleaning.
PARTS REQUIRED:
1 5255217 Plug
REPAIR PROCEDURE:
This bulletin involves drilling a hole in the A/C evaporator housing to allow for cleaning of the drain tube.

1. Pull the carpet down in the passengers foot well and locate the evaporator drain in the housing (See Illustration).
2. Drill a 1/4 inch hole in the center of the drain tube housing as shown. Clear the drain tube with a wire or suitable tool by inserting it through the hole and into the drain tube.
3. Insert plug, P/N 5255217 into the 1/4 inch hole drilled previously.
4. Verify that the drain is clear by operating the system in the A/C mode and observing that water is draining.
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend had an early 2000's model that had a leak in the back seat. His was under warranty and before they were done trying to figure it out, the stealership had pulled out a bunch of the interior. I'll check with him and see if they ever figured out what it was.
tynee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crap, thats what that plastic tube was that I found laying in the floor of my shed after I swapped the evaporator core a couple of weeks ago. Now I gotta go re-install that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: