Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Towing with a Rubicon Unlimited?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
slamson00

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:07 am    Post subject: Towing with a Rubicon Unlimited? Reply with quote

Hello. New to this board......did a search but didn't find anything that really answered my question (unless I missed it I apologize).

I am thinking about getting a new Rubicon Unlimited. Mainly I want to use it as my weekend get away and off road vehicle....but since I already have a travel trailer I have a few questions for those of you who use their Unlimited with the the I-6 (190 horse....235 lb-ft torque) to tow with.

My travel trailer is an ultra light hard side travel trailer. It is about 23 ft from tip of the hit to back of the bumper. It has a dry weight of 2785 lbs......but as you know once you add water......some supplies....etc... you are probably closer to 3300 to 3500lbs (3500 lbs of course being the max that the Unlimited with the I-6 is rated to pull).

From those of you who have experience....how well or "not" well do you think the Unlimited with the I-6 would pull my trailer?

Also...does anyone know the allowable tongue weight on the Unlimited Rubicon? I couldn't find it on Jeep.com.

I have a 2000 Nissan Xterra right now with the 170 horse V6 ratred at 200 lb-ft of torque....so logic would tell me that the I-6 would pull better just by its power numbers.....but the slightly smaller wheelbase then my Xterra gives me a little concern (although the weight of the Xterra vs. Unlimited is very similar). Any opinions would be appreciated.

I love the Xterra...and it is terrific offroad........ but am thinking of getting the Unlimited because of the I like the "unlimited" build upon potential it has to take it offroad and build it up and big as I want to go years down the line. The Xterra just can't match that.

Thank you

Possible Jeep Owner
ATJeep

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Towing with a Rubicon Unlimited? Reply with quote

slamson00 wrote:
Also...does anyone know the allowable tongue weight on the Unlimited Rubicon? I couldn't find it on Jeep.com.

slamson00 wrote:
(3500 lbs of course being the max that the Unlimited with the I-6 is rated to pull).

Max tongue weight is usually 10% of max trailer weight, or 350 lbs.
TJgirl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sell that trailer and get a smaller, lighter one! lol Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: