Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

turning at low speeds

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cope91

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:55 am    Post subject: turning at low speeds Reply with quote

hello just bought a 98 grand and noticed while turning right or left into say a parking slot at low speeds the tires feel like they are lurching instead of turning and the jeep slows almost to a stop any ideas?

thank you
cope91
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once agian I will say.. I am going to go way out on a limb and say...

V8....249 transfer case......

You have a bad VC.. You can either buy a t-case rebuild or swap the case for a 242 or 231..

Do a search on here and you will find plenty of info.. Or check out tech section and I have a write up there on the 242 swap.. Mr. Green

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
unimog69

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you feeling the effects of full time 4wd... If you have the 249.
'96 Limited, NV249, 5.2, K&N FIPK, Red Top, Dana30 open, Dana44AL TrackLoc, Custom 3.5" RE lift, Rancho RSX shocks, 32" BFG A/T, Tomken rear bumper, custom front bumper w/ receiver, KOR Sliderz and Xmember/ T. Case skid.
cope91

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats what i am not sure of i have owned 4 wheel drives before and that is what it feels like when 4 low would be engaged on full size trucks
thanks for the input
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF you have the 249 and you are "feeling the effects of fulltime " you have a problem.. It should be totally invisible.. Feel no different than driving any other vehicle... If it fells like its pulling or lurching or jumping... Your VC is bad...

I bought mine brand new and I knew exactly when the VC went bad.. I could feel it bucking (my word for how it felt..) Before that it was totally smooth unless I was on it real hard in a corner I didnt even know the front was pulling...

And if its especially noticable at slow speeds then its definatly the VC..

Also..When the VC first started going out on mine I went to the dealership and they told me thats how its supposed to feel... I said now way its supposed to feel like that... And I made them ride with me on a test drive of a new one and then ride in mine.. The guy said.. I feel the difference but that is just because the system is more refined now... Confused

What an idiot... Anyway.. I never went back to that delership because the head mechanic was an idiot and if he dont know whats going on then who under him would... Sad

Instead I went to a local 4X4 shop and paid to have the VC replaced ..(Bad move..) but it was way back when my Jeep was still fairly new and I didnt know much about it... The second time It went out I swapped T cases..

Just a little info..

Mr. Green

Probobly a little to much.. Mr. Green

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ismolika

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:02 am    Post subject: same problem Reply with quote

Hi,I have the same problem with my 97 grand cherokee loredo v8 4x4
My question is which is better for me to do, get a TC or swap the TC?
Mine got so bad one of my axle is gone, cant even turn.Please help.
Thanks
cajzmere

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ismolika, if you're SURE it's the VC then do the swap, i would recommend getting a 242 case that's close w/in a year or 2 of your vehicle. I swapped a 89 242 t-case into my 93 GC and am having probs with speedo hookup and tranny shifts. If u get a new VC (cheapest one i could find was $385), it's just a matter of time before it goes bad, all it takes to go bad is to not rotate the tires properly or get a slow leak in one tire and not notice for a few days. I've been told that even a half inch off in tire size for 100 miles will kill the VC. If u had an axle go bad, i'd be thinking more like something wrong with your diff. or u may have a bad u-joint. Good Luck!
cope91

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok got a new np 242transfer case the date on it says 98. my question is do i really have to split the cases open and swapp the sun gears. or is there a chance that it will just bolt right up and go? thanks again for all the info keep up the good work
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way to tell absolutly is to take your 249 out and match the input length to the 242.. I have heard tale of people getting ones that matched..

But if it doesnt match you are going to have to swap it out..

Its really not as hard as it looks ...I have a write up in the tech section that is pretty good.. If I must say so myself..Mr. Green

Carl

cope91

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well will know by the end of the weekend going to try and get it done in a couple hours but will see
thanks again for all your help
cope91

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is the best fluid to use in the transfer case seeing how i am going to have to do some swapping from one to another....
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually same as tranny ...But check your manual to make sure..

cope91

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok tried the swapp man oh man no day job for sure and still not running tried to swap a 242 into it and well lets just say the speedo and the drivelines no match at all. so now going back to the 249 besides i could rebuild either a 249 or a 242 with eyes closed now......... and for the coupler you can do it in the car just a little tricky getting the snap ring off but can be done and you are only out 300 bucks or so then three days without a vehicle and lots of problems or driveline shortenings....... well anyways good luck with other swaps but for me just put the same back in as that came out and poof no problems and drive it away....
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: