Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TC or Front Diff problem!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
boncur

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject: TC or Front Diff problem!!! Reply with quote

Hi all and thx for Help in Advance (the new guy)

I got XJ-01 Sport (stock with 31' tires just installed)

Problems:
#1 When i drive i noticed some vibration it seams that it's coming either from TC or front differential faster i drive worst it gets can't really notice it at city speeds ( rear diff should be fine i had it fixed about 6 months ago), also when i have my car running my 4x4 gear shift shakes(TC related?). My old tires up front had a weird thread to them, they had like spots aroud it every other 2inches.
When i had my rear diff fixed the car drove nice for 1 day then the shaking came back and it's worst then before could it be that the TC is messing up my rear diff.
I got 3.5 lift and want to install it but first i would like to fix all my drivetrain problems (rear/front diff, TC and anything else) as cheap as possible.

Plz Help and thx!!!!
Drake69

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: TC or Front Diff problem!!! Reply with quote

boncur wrote:
I got XJ-01 Sport (stock with 31' tires just installed)

How did you get 31" tires on that Jeep without being lifted? You shouldn't even put on 30"s without expecting rubs when making turns and such. 31"s would probably bounce the undercarriage something awful.

I didn't attempt 31"s until I lifted mine 2", and even then I had to trim the fenders away and remove the plastic wheelwell covers to keep them from rubbing anywhere, and I have an '00.

boncur

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they are really tight but they don't rub unless i hit a big hole, so i'm really carefull but i want to put my 3.5 lift on as soon as possible, i will try not to drive my jeep
Drake69

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, tires don't usually wear tread oddly unless:

1: Front end majorly out-of-alignment
2: Tires weren't properly rotated every 6000 mi.
3: Ball joint, tie-rod, or other steering linkage problem
4: Tire pressure WAY off balance or overfilled/underfilled

There are probably other reasons why tires do this, but these are the principal ones I can think of (some tires can come out of a bad batch, but this is really rare).

boncur

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

How do i check that, should i just take it to a dealer???

I rotated my tires and always checked pressure. Don't want to do alignment yet cuz i wanna fix the problem although the alignment might be it, any tips suggestions???

Do you have any pics or links i could base off of???
Drake69

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boncur wrote:
Quote:

How do i check that, should i just take it to a dealer???

I rotated my tires and always checked pressure. Don't want to do alignment yet cuz i wanna fix the problem although the alignment might be it, any tips suggestions???

Do you have any pics or links i could base off of???

The guys who do your alignment will check that out for you if you ask. As far as tire wear goes, you can do a flat search on Google for what to look for as far as problems that show up. And you shouldn't have to go through a "stealership" for anything like this. A good alignment shop can point out specific problems for you while you're there.

Check back here for other ideas, I'll see if I can scrounge up a website for tire wear.

ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on the tire wear, it sounds like an alignment problem. Since only the toe is adjustable on Jeeps, it's pretty easy to check yourself...all you need is a tape measure and a buddy. Measure the distance between the front wheels both forward and rearward of the tires. Make sure you measure from the same spot on the tires (eg - one tread in or the same ridge on a tread, etc.) as well as the same height on the tires.

The wheels should be toed in slightly, maybe a 1/16"...so the measurement on the front side of the wheels should be around 1/16" less than the measurement at the rear side of the wheels.

Now, based on the description of the vibration itself, that sounds more like a tire (or tires) out of balance.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
boncur

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK i just did my allignment and: the guy said that there's no problem but i should try to balance my tires again and that i should do ( Half shafts, Hub bearings and brakes in the front). Plus i should do front and rear pinion seals cuz they leacking if that wasn't enough i'm missing TC extension cover the one that goes to rear diff..

I noticed that when i brake, i hear clicking noise that slows down and gets louder when i slow down and i'm about to stop. It's coming from the back, any idea what that might be? Do you think that my TC is messed up because i didn't have cover? What should i do can i fix some of this stuff myself? Since i'm going to lift my Jeep 3.5' should i do the SYE or just buy used TC with SYE??? Plz advice!!

Thx for the help so far, I really appreciate it!!!!!

P.s There is one more thing i forgot to mention when i put my 4x4 on when i turn without accelerating the car kind of slows down and stops don't really wants to drive and the stearing wheel kind of moves too(it's like force feedback).

Quote:
Now, based on the description of the vibration itself, that sounds more like a tire (or tires) out of balance

I did just put those tires this week and i had the same problem on old tires.
95sahara

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boncur wrote:
P.s There is one more thing i forgot to mention when i put my 4x4 on when i turn without accelerating the car kind of slows down and stops don't really wants to drive and the stearing wheel kind of moves too(it's like force feedback).

Thats normal
PICS
boncur

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do i put pictures up here???
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1495

Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Drake69

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember that the Cherokee's 4WD is PART TIME, which means you should have SelecTrac. This system does not handle well on dry, smooth pavement, and makes a lot of noise when engaged there. You should only use the part time 4-High or 4-Low when road conditions are less than perfect, like snow, ice, or heavy rain, or when you offroad. Under normal dry road conditions, stick with 2-high.

boncur

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx Drake

Are the diff. leaks common in Jeeps and would i be able to fix it?
Also is there any way to check if my Transfer Case and Front/Rear diff. are in bad condition when i change the fluids there? I read somewhere here some ppl use magnets or something?
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the mechanic give a specific reason why he thinks the huib bearings need to be replaced?

As far as checking the diffs for problems, when you drop the cover just look at the teeth on the ring gear. On the transfer case the only way to really check it is pop the cover and look at the gears. Pulling the t-case out before hand makes it a lot easier...I'd wait until you are doing the SYE and then just look at it then. I doubt that one of these is the vibration though. It might be as simple as a bad ujoint in the front driveshaft...

I recently replaced both of my pinion seals. They are not that difficult to do...but air tools make it a LOT easier as the nuts are torqued on between 200-250ft/lbs.

Quote:
boncur

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey phantum I got about 1g to spend on my lift what should i get?
I don't want to go higher than 3.5 tho, can you tell me what else i need to get(sye, shocks?). I know you got a lot of exp in this stuff so can you plz plan it for me give me websites and if possible write ups? I liked Rubicon Express 3.5 for 670 can i find them somewhere cheaper?

Thank You!!!!
P.s The tech guy said that i should do my hub bearings cuz that might of caused the weird wear of my front tires.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: