Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rubber mat below radiator. Do I need it?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
90XJ4X4

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: Rubber mat below radiator. Do I need it? Reply with quote

I am within a day or so of doing a radiator, pump, thermostat on my rig. Theres a rubber mat below the radiator that runs from the air dam back to the axle, give or take. Looks to me like its there to keep weeds and cats out of the fan belt. Also looks like it holds in heat. These days, something like that may be HELPING airflow, thunk up by some aerodynamicist. On the other hand, it seems to me it also contributes to high underhood temps.

I want it outta there. Can anyone here gimme the scoop.

95sahara

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't think of any reason to keep it. My best guess is it's there as a mud flap/shield. My old 95 Wrangler had one on it too but my 05 doesn't. Take it outta there. Of course my 95 didn't even have a radiator fan shroud and it never ran hot.
PICS
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly what it is... a splash gaurd. I took mine off a long time ago. One thing to note...if you do remove it, fab up some kind of sheild for the alternator. It hangs very low on the engine and is very susceptable to being destroyed by rain/mud/etc...especially if you remove the factory gaurd.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
90XJ4X4

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, thats what I was hoping to hear. I'll check out the alternator and make something to protect it.

In regard to my radiator, I already bought a 3 row (plastic), closed. I can return it and get a '92 with a cap and convert to open, my main question is ...what are the advantages. Will it run cooler or is it just easier to burp, fill and flush?

ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The closed system is just that, you have to burp out any air that is in the system or else you will have cooling problems. With the open system you don't have to burp it...just fill it an go. That's the advantage. Even the Jeep engineers admitted that the closed system was a huge mistake.

You will need to pick up an overflow bottle though. The tank on the closed system won't work.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: