Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How much oil does your 5.2 V8 burn???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakeZJ

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:27 am    Post subject: How much oil does your 5.2 V8 burn??? Reply with quote

Just curious how much oil you guys are burning (if any at all) in between oil changes? Assuming you don't have any serious seal leaks... I currently don't have any leaks. (knocks on wood)
I have about 96,000 miles on my 97' 5.2 and burn about 1/2 to 3/4 quart during 4000 mile oil change intervals and use Mobil 1 synthetic 10w-30.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesnt sound bad to me.. I rebuilt my engine last year and its been fine.. But before I would find myself 1/2 a quart low once a week.. (Had a rear main seal leak as well... )

Your engine will last you a lot longer.. I had 155000 on mine when I rebuilt it..and I only rebuilt it because I wanted to put a new cam and lifters in ...

I am about to do the top end again... because two of the rockers I put in are cracked...
(DONT BUY MAGNUM ROCKERS)

Good luck with yours ...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swamp boy wrote:

I am about to do the top end again... because two of the rockers I put in are cracked...
(DONT BUY MAGNUM ROCKERS)

How many miles did you get out of them? Confused
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe 10,000 I put them in after I drove my ZJ into that canal last year.. So I doubt I even got that many miles on them...

However.. My rig sees alot of Rev-limiter.. Mr. Green

I am relacing them with these..

and while I am in there I am putting a new Crame Extreme 4X4 cam and
a new timing setup...
Like this...

Also going to put some Crane Cromolly push rods..
Hopefully my top end will last a little longer this time.. Mr. Green

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Jeep Iceland

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uuhhh why are you using the gear drive Shocked causes bad vibrations (harmonics) to the valvetrain!double roller chain is the way to go!
I'm not just saying,I talked to a lot of engine builders and NO one of them uses gear drives because of the vibes,makes sense if you think about it.
just my 2 cents Wink
1976 Trans Am
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/531601
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My rig is mostly offroad (say 90%) and I am not sweating the vibes.. More worried about slack in the chain causing valve lash... This is my third set of rockers they keep cracking and I have friends at the local speed shop who are telling me its from excessive overrevving.. But If I am going to continue to rescue fullsize Broncos on 42's I am going to need to overrev sometimes.. Mr. Green

THat is the simple truth.. I dont street it much but I do run it hard.. ITs a simple trade off... Kinda like running offroad tires on the road...

And I have a buddy with a Dakota with the 5.2 with a 671 Blower and he has this same setup...I have riden in his and its barely noticable.. And his is a daily driver..

I cant find a Good Picture of the Bronco Stuck.. But he was in the hole next to me in this picture..

Just for Display purposes Here is someone else in that hole..

This is me ..TOwing him back to camp...See the strap between us... Mr. Green

And here is a Group shot so you can see how big those two are as compared to me..

See how I have my arm propped on my hood... And look where the hood of that SJ is.. Shocked

Now Look at the Bronco as compared to the SJ..Also notice my handy work on that Explorer.. (Thats the one I did the Solid axle conversion on ..)

Soooooo..If I am going to continue keeping up with these guys I am going to have to keep my engine as tight as possible... Maybe I am going over board but they are sporting 360(SJ) and a 460 in the Bronco
and so far they are having a hard time keeping up with me.. Mr. Green

Jeep Iceland

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool good luck with it Cool great pics,well the guys I talked with said if you are gonna use it go with the "quiet drive".
Do you have roller lifters too?
Did I mention how cool these pics are Mr. Green
1976 Trans Am
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/531601
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did order the quiet set.. Yes I have roller lifters .. There are tons more where those came from.... Mr. Green

I have been taking this thing out on trails since about 95 and I have pictures from pretty much the whole way along..From Bone stock to what I have now... Mr. Green Its been a fun ride...

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: