Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New buyer: undercarriage Rust a problem?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kchan156

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:28 am    Post subject: New buyer: undercarriage Rust a problem? Reply with quote

Hi everyone!
I'm pretty set on purchasing a 01 TJ Sport with less than 21k miles on it. The main concern I have is the undercarriage rust it has. The current owner said he bought it about 2 years ago and he's only put on 4k miles since. The fact that the car's in San Francisco with all those fog doesn't help. If anyone could please let me know if it'll be a problem or not down the road. Thanks.
ehirner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's the rust? There's parts underneath that aren't coated at all...driveshafts, knuckles, etc and there's nothing wrong with this stuff rusting. It's normal.

In an environment where there's a lot of rain/water, you're going to see a lot of rust. An 01 is approaching 4 years old already.
IBTJn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: New buyer: undercarriage Rust a problem? Reply with quote

Living in the NW we get almost as much rain and moisture as the Bay Area does...and I don't recall ever seeing a rig (even a coastal rig) with what you've described without body, tub, and other body items showing the same signs. Do you see any of that? If not, I'd not worry about it myself.

Is it possible that the rig actually is a transplant from somewhere else in the US that perhaps uses salt on the roads? I don't think CA does...but may be wrong. Maybe they (the old owners) decided to drive it on the beach and never bothered washing the salt water off? That can cause cancer...but I'd say other parts of the rig would be showing it, too.

Wink
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: New buyer: undercarriage Rust a problem? Reply with quote

IBTJn wrote:

Is it possible that the rig actually is a transplant from somewhere else in the US that perhaps uses salt on the roads? I don't think CA does...but may be wrong. Maybe they (the old owners) decided to drive it on the beach and never bothered washing the salt water off? That can cause cancer...but I'd say other parts of the rig would be showing it, too.

Wink

Yeah, CalTrans isn't using salt anymore - too many environmental concerns. Wink
Flatbroke

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought mine used from walnut creek and it had some rust on the parts mentioned above.

they do not seem to use much undercoating on them when built.
Gamgan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how do you guys clean & protect the bottom once it has started showing some rust?
IBTJn

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gamgan wrote:
how do you guys clean & protect the bottom once it has started showing some rust?
Cover it with mud rofl
ehirner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gamgan wrote:

Wire brush and spray paint.
lawrence914

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're really into making it look spiffy... get a wire brush, some latex gloves and can of POR-15 with a brush.

That stuff wears like iron. Follow all the directions, though. Like any paint product, preparation is the key to success.

-Lawrence
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: