Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tips needed to replace LOwer Control Arms?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeachCrawler

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 3:46 am    Post subject: Tips needed to replace LOwer Control Arms? Reply with quote

This is my first post here and I look forward to learning a lot so please be gentle. Very Happy I'd like to start doing more of my own repairs starting with the lower control arms. Can someone give me step by step instructions. I do not plan on lifting it for the install. If someone can point me to a good write-up that would be great. How do I make sure that I don't change the Cam Bolt settings and that the axle does not move. I plan to replace them one at a time.

Thanks,

James
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magic marker along the cam bolt and the control arm bracket will tell you if the cam bolt has moved..Or better allow you to put it back in the right way..

I dont know of a good writeup for a lift... But its not that hard.. What I do to get my control arms in is use a big ratchet strap.. (12,000# one From Lowes)
and hook it to the tow hook and around the axle.. That allows me to pull it formward and if I need to pull it backwards I go to the tow hitch..

ITs not very high tech but it has always worked for me.. Even when I work on other peoples Jeeps I used it...

I am sure there is a writeup on a lift install..I just dont know where it is..

I never did one because I did all my lift installs by my self and its hard to take pics and do the work at the same time..

Good luck..

Mr. Green

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
BeachCrawler

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Swamp Boy. I do not want a write-up on a lift install I want a write-up on changing the control arms without lifting the ZJ. So far, you have answered my main question with the marker tip.

James
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand you don't want a write-up on installing a lift, but most of them are going to include swapping control arms. Hence, find a lift write-up and you'll find your control arm write-up. Wink
BeachCrawler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds good. Thanks, I will give it a try.

James
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: