Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fluid Changes and how difficult for XJ

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ua50

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject: Fluid Changes and how difficult for XJ Reply with quote

I was just curious about how difficult it is to change some of the fluids on a Cherokee. I have a 2001 Sport with 63,500 miles. I have owned the Jeep for a year and I would like to change the transmission fluid, front and rear differential, and the transfer case fluid. I am mostly a novice when it comes to things other than oil changes, plugs, air filter. I had the radiator flushed and filled last summer due to the fluid being a brownish color, so I am assuming that the previous owner did not have any of these other fluids changed. I saw the tech section on the differential fluid change and that appears to be a bit involved and I dont know if I would be comfortable doing that on my own at this point. Is the differential the toughest of these three fluid changes? Also if I were to change them myself or have a shop do it, which should I be concerned with having changed first with 63,500 miles. I drive the Jeep daily but do not use it for any off road driving. Thanks in advance for any comments.
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're not very difficult - can be a bit of a mess though. Wink
Is it an auto or manual transmission? If the radiator looked like that, at your mileage, I'd do them all since none of them were probably done.
ua50

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its an automatic.
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To change the transmission fluid, you'll need to drop the pan, change the filter, install a new gasket, close it up and add fluid. I've greatly simplified it, but it's not that difficult. Basic maintenance will help you become more familiar with your jeep. Wink
Gidder-Done

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I hope I have done mine right. I have an automatic transmission on my 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport. It has a drain plug on the tranny. Just drain and fill. At least that is what I have done 3 times now. Never read anything else other than that. Hope that is right. Wink
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can just drain the fluid through the plug...but you should change the filter every 12,000 to 24,000 miles, which requires dropping the pan. Like Code3TJ said, it's not that hard...just a little messy. Wink

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
majikxms

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Draining the fluid in the trannie through the plug willl only drain about 1/3 of the fluid. It's good if you do this periodically, but as Phantum suggested you should still change the filter every 12-24 k.

Transfer case fluid is simple. Place drain pan under Transfer Case, take off top fill plug, take of bottom drain plug...drain. Replace bottom drain plug, fill with fluid until fuild runs out of fill plug, wait till it stops overflowing, replace fill plug...all done. The hard part is figuring out how to get the fluid in the hole with very little overhead room. I suggest a small hand pump that will screw on top of the bottle and should be available at your local parts store.
ua50

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How often should I change the fluids (front/rear differential, automatic transmission fluid, transfer case). I just had all of these fluids changed and am wondering when my next change should be. I have seen recommendations from 12,000 miles up to 30,000 miles. I was leaning towards 25,000 to 30,000 miles for the next change, does this seem about right? I use my Jeep for a daily driver, no off road, all stock equipment, 63,500 miles.
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually go by the severe duty chart in the manual unless I've sunk the axles in water.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: