Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Total Freakin Newby here - got the sweetest XJ Limited Eva..

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Modfatha

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: Total Freakin Newby here - got the sweetest XJ Limited Eva.. Reply with quote

Hi guys.. This is my first post ever and I am total JP newby.. This is my first Jeep and first 4x4 ever and I love it so far. My wife and I just got a 2000 all black cherokee limited with every factory option that I am aware of and we love it so much.

My main questions are about the xj's 4x4 system. The only thing our xj didnt come with was an owners manual and I want to know about the 4 wheel drive and how to engage it and disengage it the RIGHT way.

I know our XJ has part time and all time 4wheel and high low but I am a total newb like I said. When the tires that we got it with wear I'm thinkin it might be time to lift 'er up a todge. I will post pix of our sweet-a$$ xj when i get home. Thanks for helping a newby jp'er... Very Happy
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome.

First of all, keep in mind that part time 4WD modes should not be used on pavement. You can, however, run in full time 4WD on pavement.

To engage it into 4WD part time high or 4WD full time, you just pull the lever into that position. You can do it in neutral or while in gear and rolling. Part time 4WD low range is a different story. You need to be in neutral and at a stop to engage it.

Keep in mind that if the 4WD has never been used, it might take a firm hand to get it into any 4WD mode. The more you use it, the easier it will be to engage.

HTH

Steve

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Modfatha

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks! what about disengaging it? I heard something about going in reverse.. is this applicable for the Jeep? Also.. why is part time 4 wheel just for offroad use? I would have thought it would be for on road use...

When did they start putting part time 4x4 into JPs?

Thanks Phantum
Modfatha

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there anything I can lube that will make the engagment of 4x4 smoother?
95sahara

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The part time 4X4 is called that because you are only supposed to use it part of the time, such as off road driving. Full time 4X4 is named that because you can leave it in full time. All the time. For on road or off road. Most Jeeps, like Wranglers only have part time four wheel drive. As far as disengaging it, just put the selector back in 2WD HI, or Full time 4X4. As far as lubing, just climb underneath it with an oil can, and squirt up the pivoting points.
PICS
Modfatha

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

95sahara wrote:
The part time 4X4 is called that because you are only supposed to use it part of the time, such as off road driving. Full time 4X4 is named that because you can leave it in full time. All the time. For on road or off road. Most Jeeps, like Wranglers only have part time four wheel drive. As far as disengaging it, just put the selector back in 2WD HI, or Full time 4X4. As far as lubing, just climb underneath it with an oil can, and squirt up the pivoting points.

This is confusing to me.. since when i think of part time 4x4 i think of something thats like a slip and grip.. and i think of full time 4x4 as meaning all 4 wheels engage no matter what... what is physically happening when i engage part time vs full time 4x4... or is full time 4x4 just mean that its not always engaged (slip n grip) and full time part time 4x4 means i use it part of the time cause its full 4x4 engaging traction..

damn this is confusing!
Modfatha

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is the jeep Wink

Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good.

Part time means that you have the option of driving in 2 wheel drive - you'll get better mileage and less wear on the drivetrain. 4 wheel drive means power is going to both axles but doesn't lock all the tires - you need lockers in the differential to do that. Full time 4 wheel drive or all wheel drive locks the axles but there's usually a viscous coupling that keeps things turning and prevents binding.
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/four-wheel-drive.htm
Cherokee Junkie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, I'm a "noob" to this board, but definitely not to Jeeps. Just got a comment about shifting into/out of 4WD. Aren't the steps different for Command trac than for Selec trac? Shouldn't we know what kind of transfer case he has first? I remember that my '86 XJ shifted differently from my current '92.

Modfatha you should go to eBay and buy an owner's manual if you have an eBay account. There's usually plenty on sale, and whether you're new to Jeeps or not, it's $ well spent. If not an ebayer, then you can always order one from the stealership. Good luck with the XJ, and be prepared to really fall in love!
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only difference between command trac and select trac is that select trac has one extra selection for full time 4WD. The method for shifting it in and out of 4WD is exactly the same.

There are some differneces in the transfer cases for older model years, but you shift them in and out of 4WD exactly the same...4Hi or full time can be engaged anytime under 35 mph, and for 4Low you must be in neutral...preferably at a stop or rolling no more then 5mph.

Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cherokee Junkie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. With my 4 banger, I recall that I had to come to a stop to shift up. Granted, years ago when I got it, it was my first Jeep (Heck it was my first 4wd!), I read the book carefully, but I didn't know the difference between 4 Hi and 4 Lo. But I'm sure the book said stop before shifting. Now I shift on the fly "at any legal speed" ( Mr. Green ) whatever that means. Be that as it may, we won't argue. I could be mistaken. It's happened once before Wink .

I still strongly recommend getting the little book. I learned a lot about my XJ from it, and I still consult it from time to time.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're actually correct....shift on the fly is for 4Hi modes. To shift into 4Lo you should be in neutral and under 5mph, but preferably at a stop. Wink

Having the owenrs manual is nice, but I would recommend a Factory Service Manual as well. They can be a little expensive if bought new (~$100), but it's "everything you wanted to know about your XJ but were afraid to ask". Much more comprehensive than a Chiltons or Haynes.

Quote:
Cherokee Junkie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bagged one on eBay a coupla days ago ... Mr. Green Mr. Green
Modfatha

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks!
Modfatha

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a manual on ebay Razz

I had a question... cause I engaged 4wheel drive yesterday.. in full time... on my way home from the movies just to check it out. I noticed that when I cut the wheel hard to the left and right there is a slight (i dont want to say) binding that I can feel that isnt there when in two wheel. I assume this is due to the forced tracking of the front wheels but just wanted to make sure it was normal.

Its not a terrible binding and it makes no bad noises but its noticeable when cutting hard left or hard right.. is this normal? Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: