Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help- 95 Cherokee problems

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: Help- 95 Cherokee problems Reply with quote

I'm currently trying to sell my 95 Cherokee and I have been trying to fix it up as nice as possible in order to get the most money for it. I was wondering if anyone could help with the following problems (hoping these are common Cherokee issues that other people have had to deal with).

First off, the ABS warning light came on. The ABS works despite this except when it rains. Maybe its an electrical thing caused my moisture?

Secondly, the drivers-side rear door has stopped working. The lock mechanism wont move wether i try to switch it manually or with the power locks.

Lastly, the light in the gearbox (its an automatic) has burnt out. Is this easy to fix? How would I go about getting it open to replace the light?

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks in advance

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nvm the last thing, fixed it last night

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done the door locks before and it isnt' that bad.

pretty much you pull all the screws out of the door panel (yes check for ALL of them, it's easy to miss and you can screw yourself) then take a plastic wedge or flathead screwdriver will do and pry out the little plastic "christmas tree" things that hold the door panel. Next you peel back the plastic water screen thing and you are in the door. Now keep all of this stuff because you are going to need to put it back in with it in pretty nice condition.

So once you are in the door it is no big deal to fix the lock. if it won't unlock at all, and you were successful in getting the door open, you probably just have dirt in the lock mechanism. this is easily repaired by removing the lock mechanism and going nuts with the wd-40 on it. Otherwise one of the lincages has probably come loose or gotten stuck. These lincages look like wire coathangers on steroids. more or less they are just a heavy wire that is bent funny. Take note of the little plastic clips that hold them into the door mechanisms. if one of these plastic clips is without a rod, or broken or out of sorts in one way or another this is probably your culprit. The little plastic clips are a pain to deal with when they are in the door but you can do it. a good pair of needlenose pliers helps.

After you figure the problem out just put everything back where it came from including the sheet of plastic that was glued in. it is important for moisture and can be duct-taped back in if you have worn off all the sticky stuff.

Finally and most importantly (did you notice how people always put the most important part at the end so that youre sure to miss it) DON'T break the glass. I have done it and you are up a creek if you do.

Can't help with the light though. I can kick you back up to the top of the qeue.

hope that helps. tell us how it works out
'96 4.0 4x4 XJ
with some lame highway tires

'94 4.0 2x4 XJ
with lots of BODY CARNAGE
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: