Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TJ Hardtops, What Years Fit a 2005 "X"?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hoakster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:58 am    Post subject: TJ Hardtops, What Years Fit a 2005 "X"? Reply with quote

I am the newest Jeep guy in DC, I bought a Rocky Mountain 2005 Wrangler X with full doors and a soft top. I asked my dealer and parts department the following questions and could not get any straight answers (not sure if they are just stupid or don't want me to save a little money). Any assistance from forum members would be appreciated:

What year's hardtops will fit my '05 wrangler? (would like to get a deal on a used one but don't know which, if any, will work)
What extra equipment might I need to install it...wiring harness, weather stripping, etc?

If you can't provide an answer, do you know who I might be able to contact (besides my dealer) that will know the answers.

Thanks in advance
Hoakster
ehirner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

97+ can all be used. Might require a bit of modification on the latches for 97-02. The wiring harnesses have changed over the years also. I don't know the breakdown for the years in regards to that.
navyjeep

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:36 am    Post subject: Re: TJ Hardtops, What Years Fit a 2005 "X"? Reply with quote

i just got a 2002 wrangler and i have a hardtop that was on an old 1994 YJ. Do you think it would work?
Jeff

Hoakster wrote:
I am the newest Jeep guy in DC, I bought a Rocky Mountain 2005 Wrangler X with full doors and a soft top. I asked my dealer and parts department the following questions and could not get any straight answers (not sure if they are just stupid or don't want me to save a little money). Any assistance from forum members would be appreciated:

What year's hardtops will fit my '05 wrangler? (would like to get a deal on a used one but don't know which, if any, will work)
What extra equipment might I need to install it...wiring harness, weather stripping, etc?

If you can't provide an answer, do you know who I might be able to contact (besides my dealer) that will know the answers.

Thanks in advance
Hoakster
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJ and YJ tops are not interchangable.

Even on the TJ there were some slight changes starting model year 03. New interior molding brackets on the windshield. All TJ tops old to new can be swaped but, installing a pre-03 top on a new TJ means locating the windshile parts and peices.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
Ronzuki

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put a factory top on my '04 a couple weeks after I purchased the vehicle, it doesn't have any latches (tailgate holds it closed). Purchased the top and the harness kit (2 separate part #s). The harness kit includes everything for the rear defogger, wiper motor and washer. It comes w/ a different washer fluid bottle (and a second pump for the rear), the two dash rocker switches, relays and some fuses.

The top goes on quick, it's the harness that's a real PITA to install. Be prepared to dismantle most of the dash to get it all connected, I think every dash panel had to come off except the right speaker cover & the pass. air bag (wires run everywhere). The instructions that come w/ are really pretty good, but adding the wires to the factory connectors was rather unclear. If you're not careful, it would be easy to damage the connectors, opening the door for all kinds of future electrical problems. The connections are made all over the place under and around the dash....back of instr. cluster, main harness connectors under drivers side dash, fuse block behind glove box. I took my time (about 6 hrs. including washer bottle swap) w/ the harness, I didn't want to be breaking dash parts on a brand new vehicle.

Try Daimler's website, that's where I found the part numbers for the components. I ordered the stuff from one of our club sponsors and saved a ton...the dealer I bought the Jeep from couldn't come close even though he said he'd take care of me when I bought the vehicle. I ended up spending about the same as if I ordered the thing w/ two tops from the factory.

If anyone would like, I could scan the instructions and email them to someone here for posting.
Hoakster

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhatWasIThinkin,

Thanks for your insight. Can you be more specific on the changes to a pre-2003 hard top that would be necessary to mate it to my 2005.

I am considering getting one soon and would have to pick it up and drive it for a couple of hours back home. Sure would be easier if I could just install it at the buy site and drive it home as if it came with it.

Thanks again for the info...
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: