Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Long Arm Kits..

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Black2001TJ
Leopard Skin
Leopard Skin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 5:36 am    Post subject: Long Arm Kits.. Reply with quote

Sooo, with the RE long arm kits, what else would need to be purchased? IE, I'm going SYE/CV, if I wanted to go long arm, would I need to worry about the crossmember installed? Does it necessitate anything else, such as a MML or anything? TIA, just curious, starting to believe that purchasing all these components are going to make just saving and purchasing the RE LA upgrade a smarter move..
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking RE initially myself, but am gonna get this instead...

Clayton's kit

Dumps the rear trackbar by using a triangulated four link. I was talking to a guy that has the kit on his TJ and runs it real hard, swears by it. All bracketry is rock solid and welds on independently unlike RE's crossmember mounting combo. This frees you up to use any flat skid you want.....or in my case allow me to retain the factory skid until I figure out what I wanna do with the tcase. To get the same kinda setup outta the RE kit, I'd either have to reposition the rear upper mounts on the skid or buy a set of the Currie rear uppers that are set up for triangulating and either way I'd have to pick up a truss for the rear axle to mount the uppers on. I noticed on the RE upgrade kit, you have to purchase the front uppers seperate...at least according to the RE website. Dunno why that is.
Black2001TJ
Leopard Skin
Leopard Skin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at Clayton from a post you had elsewhere a bit back, but haven't heard much on them... Don't know where to get better pricing either, have you got any good links with their setup? I would like to feel comfortable knowing I can upgrade in the future to bigger springs, but not sweat having to upgrade any components.. At the same time, I need to be able to run my setup with the long arm for at least a year without issues...
Black2001TJ
Leopard Skin
Leopard Skin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nother thing is I don't see us doing all that welding and fabricating, so I wonder what installation will be.. Looks like the best way is to at least remove the rear axle cause of the truss and all..

Here are some links:

This dudes preworkup on his setup, found him on google

And now his install of the actual kit..
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, that's the guy I was talking to (PM'ing elsewhere) about it. We have a welder/fabricator in our midst..........remember Dan eyebrows Mr. Green . I was using the installation as a reason to push me to the RE kit since that's pretty much a bolt on, but said screw it since I always end up "settling" when it comes to mods, end up second guessing them, and then just getting what I originally wanted down the road. Too much money for me to be indecisive this time. Clayton finally updated their website and now have the TJ installation instructions online if ya wanna check them out. It isn't as bad as you might think.........besides, you saw my proficency with a grinder eyebrows Laugh .
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Figured I'd throw this out for a looksee too...

Rock Krawler's redesigned LA upgrade. They seem to have addressed one of the biggest concerns with their kit by replacing the old style upper rear wishbone with two arms for triangulation and have claimed to have redesigned the arm joints which was another common complaint. One area that still seems weak is the rear axle bracket for the upper arm mounts. Still a bolt on design with axle tube reinforcements. Everyone I contacted about this setup says the same thing, no matter how tight and how much locktite you apply, it still loosens up. There is an optional weld on truss upgrade to cure this, but then after adding that, you're only about $300 shy of the Clayton upgade. I was kicking around this setup after I saw the redesign, but haven't heard any real world feedback and I'll be damned if I'm gonna be a guineau pig with the prior reputation of the old products.
LAWrangX

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read somewhere that Full Traction has a LA upgrade kit also, but all I have found on it is the full kit.

The Beerman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will say that I'v seen Claytons long arms put to the test.They will hold up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suspension, Steering & Tires All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: