Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2006 Jeep Commander - More Size, Seating, Safety and Securit

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Jeep News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: 2006 Jeep Commander - More Size, Seating, Safety and Securit Reply with quote

Auburn Hills, Mich., Aug 8, 2005 - If the 2006 Jeep® Commander could talk, "more" would be its favorite word.

The introduction of Commander at the New York International Auto Show in March 2005 marked the formal addition of one more Jeep model to the already strong lineup of Grand Cherokee, Liberty and Wrangler, and signals the start of a Jeep product offensive scheduled for the next two years.

With an overall length of 188.5 inches and a height of nearly 72 inches, Commander is more Jeep SUV than ever before.

Because Commander is the first Jeep vehicle with three rows of seats, more passengers – seven – can visit more places to enjoy its go-anywhere, do-anything capability.

And Commander has more safety and security features than any previous Chrysler Group vehicle, including standard side-curtain air bags in all three rows and standard Electronic Stability Program (ESP).

"Simply put, Commander is more Jeep," said Jeff Bell, Vice President – Jeep, Chrysler Group. "With more room and more capability than other seven-passenger 4x4s, Commander offers owners an extra dose of freedom and adventure, both on- and off-road."

It doesn't end there. The Jeep brand has been building industry-leading 4x4 vehicles for more than 60 years. To be worthy of the Jeep badge, Commander was also required to have legendary Jeep off-road capability. It does – plus on-road driving refinement – because it is equipped with the same under-the-skin components as the award-winning Jeep Grand Cherokee. As a result, the new 2006 Jeep Commander is the most capable seven-passenger 4x4. And, of course, it’s Jeep Trail Rated®.
Engineering
Jeep vehicles are engineered to scale obstacles that leave less capable vehicles bent and broken. Jeep Commander is no exception. It has the same underpinnings that have proven highly successful on the current Jeep Grand Cherokee, including:

* Three, full-time, four-wheel-drive systems, Quadra-Trac I®, Quadra-Trac II® and Quadra-Drive II®
* Two transfer cases offering Brake Traction Control System (BTCS) and Electronic Limited Slip Differentials (ELSD)
* Three available engines: The 3.7-liter SOHC V-6, the 4.7-liter SOHC V-8 and the incomparable 5.7-liter HEMI® V-8. For the first time, a two-speed transfer case is available with the 3.7-liter engine, and two-wheel-drive capability is optional on the 5.7-liter V-8 engine. (Both options will be offered on the 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee as well.)
* Two five-speed automatic transmissions
* Standard independent front suspension, along with rack and pinion steering

Design
Commander’s all-new design was inspired by three legendary Jeep vehicles.

The Willys-Overland (1946 to 1962) was the tallest of the three, at slightly under 73 inches. The Willys-Overland was the auto industry’s first all-steel station wagon. It was equipped with only two doors, but a fold-down rear hatch made loading easy. Seven-passenger capacity was achieved with a single, inboard-facing seat behind the second row of seats.

The Wagoneer (1963 to 1991) has often been called the first true sport-utility vehicle. It was lower and longer than the Willys-Overland wagon, but, like its predecessor, employed round headlamps. One difference was the Wagoneer’s trapezoidal wheel openings, now a signature feature of Jeep design. A brawny 4,000 pounder, the Wagoneer was by no means aerodynamic. Still, it was less boxy than the Wagon; the windshield and rear were not as stiff. The four-door Wagoneer outsold the two-door model by wide margins.

In terms of a family resemblance, the Jeep Commander is closest to the Jeep Cherokee (1984 to 2001). The latter was 21 inches shorter, 6 inches narrower, 4 inches lower and weighed 1,000 pounds less than the first Jeep Wagoneer. The Cherokee was considered a breakthrough: It was the first UniFrame four-door compact SUV and a true car-like alternative. Additionally, it was the only compact sport utility to offer two-door and four-door models. It received rave reviews when introduced and went on to win "4x4 of the Year" from three magazines in 1984.

Commander retains important ingredients from all three vehicles, both in execution and in spirit. The result is a sport-utility vehicle with a mechanical, purpose-built appearance – rugged and unmistakably Jeep. Commander takes classic Jeep design elements – flat surfaces, upright stance, round headlamps, trapezoidal wheel openings and slotted grille – and gives them a 21st century interpretation.
Safety and Security

Full Story and Photos
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[cough]Freak! Behemoth![/cough]
Mr. Green
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code3TJ wrote:

[cough]Freak! Behemoth![/cough]
Mr. Green

Is this what you get when a XJ has sex with a pathfinder?? rofl rofl Or was it a Subaru?? rofl rofl
Drake69

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno, I think there's some "Expedition" in 'er.

rofl

WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like my version better

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhatWasIThinkin wrote:
I like my version better

Me too Mr. Green
Drake69

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photochop that second door and then see how it looks.

Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drake69 wrote:
Photochop that second door and then see how it looks.

Oh yea and some 35s Mr. Green
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here are the specs.
CoreyXJ
Turkish
Turkish

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Keep it in the circus!"

"Do what you love to do...the money will eventually follow" - I. Larry
Troubles

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, it looks like they're trying to compete with HUMMER's H3. Add some Cherokee and land rover, and a few new interior features, and this is what you get. They should lift it about 3 in. add length and width to it, and relax on the boxy body. The Cherokee is boxy enough. Too much and it becomes top heavy. I thought about checking these out, but I think I'll stick with my Cherokee.
irish1966

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a new Commander and I love it. I drove a Lincoln Navigator for years and I think the the Commander rides and drives just as good if not better. I also own a 2003 Hummer, and the Commander can drive circles around it. Finger
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you need to post some pics of your commander. What engine did you get the 6cyl or the Hemi?

My Morning Jacket
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Jeep News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: