Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jeep God (Phantum) Plz Help!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
boncur

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:54 pm    Post subject: Jeep God (Phantum) Plz Help!!! Reply with quote

What's wrong with those pictures???

Scenario I

Driver Side Bushing:

Passenger Side Bushing:

Is this OK (driver side):

Scenario II

When i grab two bolts and try to turn the wheel lightly either side:

Only this thing(hub bearing???) turns a little bit until it clicks and stops. Should it be loose like that?:

Now when this thing stops and clicks(see above), I have to use some mussle to turn the wheel.
After i turn it a little bit it clicks again in the diff. (seems like the gears are loose) and this thing starts to turn:

Now is it scenario I or II that causes my wobbling on highway speeds???
If something is wrong plz tell me what i need to get to fix it. I'm a newbie so i need everything in details.

Thank You for your help, it's really appreciated!!!

-----Adrian
P.s Saturday morning i'm installing my RE 6030, Track Bar and hopefully shocks if i get part#'s from Phantum.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, I am not a "Jeep god"...I'm just a guy with a bunch of vehicles (including 2 Jeeps) and a good, well rounded set of tools. Mr. Green

Now first off, if memory serves, you've got an RE 6030 (3.5"). The first two pictures tell me you're still running the stock sway bar links...that's the problem there. The 6030 should have come with a set of disconnects. Install them.

On the next two, it's tough to tell from pictures...but it looks like the grease boot is shot on the pitman arm/draglink heim joint. The pitman arm is attached to your steering gear box and the drag link connects to the pass side wheel. The tierod also connects to the drag link and goes to the drivers side wheel. So if that heim joint is bad, that could easily cause you vibes in the steering (also, since you lifted it, the angles have changed...which is why the problem may be cropping up now). I'm not saying that it's definatley the problem, but if it is you'll prolly have to replace the drag link end.

When you turn the wheel, what you are feeling is driveline backlash...it's normal and nothing to worry about. Oh..and what you called the bearing is not a bearing...that's actually the outer seal. The bearing is on the other side of the u-joint....your wheel/tire bolts to it. Wink

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
majikxms

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my, you are a GOD!!! Finger
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rofl

Alright....as amusing as the concept is...let's keep it on topic.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
boncur

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got one more question:

On picture 1 and 3 you can see my track bar i have a problem removing it. I removed the pin and the nut is there anything else holding it in there or is it just seized up???
Should i just keep on trying pulling the Track Bar out???
Any recom. or ideas on how to get it out???

----Adrian
majikxms

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pickle fork and a BFH.

Try this, as copied from here

Front Track Bar
Onto the front track bar…First, we removed the bolt at the axle. Then took out the cotter pin and removed the nut at the frame. Then Dale and I just took turns beating the heck out of it with the forkbar and BFH until it finally broke loose. Now to install the new track bar we had to drill out the frame side hole to 9/16". It's only the top potion of the hole that needed to be drilled so it took no time at all. Once that was done we hung the trackbar on the frame side and got the bolt godzilla tight. Now I was not to worried about getting the axle perfectly centered, as I had 4wdSpecialty dial both trackbars in and align it…but I wanted to get it fairly close. So Jen got in, turned on the jeep and we stood in front while she turned the steering wheel fully to the right side, then left, back and forth a few times. We then had her slowly turn the wheel and eyeballed the axle to center. After which, we installed the axle side of the tbar and torqued it all up…close enough for gubment work….
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: