Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

 Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

my 88 jeep cherokee is over heating?????

Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
alexkbee
Member


Joined: 09 Apr 2005

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: my 88 jeep cherokee is over heating????? Reply with quote

I just put in about 2 thousand dollars in this jeep just to get it on the road and to pass the saftey, e-test , and after the e-test was finished my jeep keeps over heating i checked out my elecrtical fan that wasn`t turning on so i solved that problem, and its still over heating so then i put in a new thermastat with gasket and sealed it !! and it doesn`t look like thats the problem either, and i checked to see if anything is pumping throw the hose and there is, Sad anybody have any suggestions???????? Confused
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin


Joined: 23 Jan 2004
Location: I knew it...I'm surrounded by Assholes!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've most likely got air in the cooling sytem. 87-90 XJ's used a closed system, which needs to be purged of all air...otherwise it will overheat. Short term...bleed all the air out of the system. Long term...convert it over to an open system.

Here's one writeup on how.
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/cherokee/98/12_dec/radiator/radiator.html

Do a goole search...it's a very common upgrade on 87-90 XJ's. Wink
_________________

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
alexkbee
Member


Joined: 09 Apr 2005

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how would i bleed all the air out?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin


Joined: 23 Jan 2004
Location: I knew it...I'm surrounded by Assholes!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One word: Google It's not hard, Google is your friend. Wink

Quote:
If you had a copy of the FSM (Factory Service Manual) or equivalent (Haynes, Chiltons, etc.), you wouldn’t need this web page but it would give you the following procedure:

1. Fill the system as normal with your antifreeze mixture. Always use a mixture of antifreeze and water (distilled works best) of at least 50%, though you can go as high as 70% antifreeze. An in-expensive tester available in most auto parts stores or the auto parts section of larger stores (Wal-Mart, etc.) that will tell you the concentration of antifreeze in your system.
2. At the top of the water box where the upper radiator hose enters the engine there is a small threaded plug with a hex fitting. Using the correct Allen wrench loosen the fitting to the point where air starts to escape. Ensure the heater is left on to allow water into the heater core.

NOTE: Before you fill the system completely it may be a good idea to remove this plug and apply some anti-seize or thread sealant to the threads. Over time the steel plug tends to seize to the aluminum head and so step two above may prove just shy of impossible without explosives. If you do manage to remove it, some anti-seize or thread sealant should make it easier to remove next time.

3. Continue to add antifreeze to replace the air being expelled through the plug.
4. When fluid starts to seep out of the plug tighten it up, top off the overflow tank, and you’re done. If you get erratic temp readings, or lack of heat from the vents in the car, re-open the screw and allow any residual air to escape.

Some people have replaced the plug with a brass one that is less likely to seize to the head, others have adapted a small valve or petcock into the threaded hole, allowing them to vent the system by simply opening the valve. A good hardware or plumbing supply store should have the parts needed for either of these modifications. Be sure that anything you adapt can withstand the temperatures and pressures under the hood.

_________________

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Billy's89XJ
Member


Joined: 03 Jul 2004
Location: I'm the Charlie Browniest

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: my 88 jeep cherokee is over heating????? Reply with quote

alexkbee wrote:
I just put in about 2 thousand dollars in this jeep just to get it on the road and to pass the saftey, e-test , and after the e-test was finished my jeep keeps over heating i checked out my elecrtical fan that wasn`t turning on so i solved that problem, and its still over heating so then i put in a new thermastat with gasket and sealed it !! and it doesn`t look like thats the problem either, and i checked to see if anything is pumping throw the hose and there is, Sad anybody have any suggestions???????? Confused


I've been told by most if the radiator is older 5 years, especially a stock one, ditch it!! I juat did a upgrade to my wife's XJ, worth the money!! You can see pics here

http://jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=5321

Also you can read this too

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/cherokee/98/12_dec/radiator/radiator.html
_________________
"GODZILLA" More than a Jeep, it's family!!


Last edited by Billy's89XJ on Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
quadna71
Member


Joined: 02 Jan 2004
Location: Delaware

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this thread is kind of ironic...i just had to return home midway into a trip to northern delaware due to our xj overheating. it's done this three times now in the past month. i thought it was due to a bad cap on that pressure bottle...but i'm not so sure now. maybe it's just a poorly designed system acting even poorer. i'll start with the cheap fix and bleed it properly. if that doesn't work then i may have to start pricing out the new radiator.
chris
_________________
2003 TJ Sport
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Billy's89XJ
Member


Joined: 03 Jul 2004
Location: I'm the Charlie Browniest

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quadna71 wrote:
this thread is kind of ironic...i just had to return home midway into a trip to northern delaware due to our xj overheating. it's done this three times now in the past month. i thought it was due to a bad cap on that pressure bottle...but i'm not so sure now. maybe it's just a poorly designed system acting even poorer. i'll start with the cheap fix and bleed it properly. if that doesn't work then i may have to start pricing out the new radiator.
chris


I know what you mean just having done this to the wife's XJ, tiss the season LOL. rofl rofl rofl rofl It makes a ton of differance having that new radiator, does so much better now.

Edit:I have all the Autozone nubers if anyone needs them Mr. Green
_________________
"GODZILLA" More than a Jeep, it's family!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin


Joined: 23 Jan 2004
Location: I knew it...I'm surrounded by Assholes!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, the closed system sucks eggs. BTW, you can pick up a brandie new 3 row, all metal GDI radiator for around $140. I bought one last year from http://www.radiatior.com for $139, signed, sealed and delivered. Just make sure you specify that you want one for an open cooling system...in other words you want a filler neck on the radiator.

The only other thing you'll need will be an overflow bottle. If it were me I'd replace the water pump, hoses, thermostat and temp. sensor too. But you know my philosophy..."while I'm in there". Wink
_________________

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Billy's89XJ
Member


Joined: 03 Jul 2004
Location: I'm the Charlie Browniest

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThePhantum wrote:
Yea, the closed system sucks eggs. BTW, you can pick up a brandie new 3 row, all metal GDI radiator for around $140. I bought one last year from http://www.radiatior.com for $139, signed, sealed and delivered. Just make sure you specify that you want one for an open cooling system...in other words you want a filler neck on the radiator.

The only other thing you'll need will be an overflow bottle. If it were me I'd replace the water pump, hoses, thermostat and temp. sensor too. But you know my philosophy..."while I'm in there". Wink


I agree thats what I did too. Maybe your a bad influence LOL rofl rofl

To me it's added safety, you know it's NEW and works!! Thats why I did it, hate to put it all back together and have problems again, plus I hate draining the radiator more than once rofl Plus it can help to a nice long life for the motor and trans.
_________________
"GODZILLA" More than a Jeep, it's family!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
alexkbee
Member


Joined: 09 Apr 2005

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey thanks for the tip, but i found the problem in one of the hoses .it was split so i just put on a new hose and everything is running great!! Twisted Evil but i`ll remember for future refrence if something goes bad to do a switch with a newer rad. thanks again !!! Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Billy's89XJ
Member


Joined: 03 Jul 2004
Location: I'm the Charlie Browniest

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkbee wrote:
hey thanks for the tip, but i found the problem in one of the hoses .it was split so i just put on a new hose and everything is running great!! Twisted Evil but i`ll remember for future refrence if something goes bad to do a switch with a newer rad. thanks again !!! Wink


No problem Mr. Green
_________________
"GODZILLA" More than a Jeep, it's family!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
quadna71
Member


Joined: 02 Jan 2004
Location: Delaware

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i know i'll probably be jonesing you for the part numbers in a few weeks. its just that i'm trying to keep from sinking money into this jeep. we got it for cash - pretty cheap too...and i don't want to ruin a good thing by soaking it with money. but - it's the only one with a mpg over 15....so....sigh...
chris
_________________
2003 TJ Sport
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
quadna71
Member


Joined: 02 Jan 2004
Location: Delaware

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy's89XJ wrote:
I know what you mean just having done this to the wife's XJ...Edit:I have all the Autozone nubers if anyone needs them Mr. Green


so, still have those numbers somewhere? i'm still fighting with this system and think it's time to just convert it.
thanks!
chris
_________________
2003 TJ Sport
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
alexkbee
Member


Joined: 09 Apr 2005

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i just burped it now its working fine thanks again everybody Razz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
monkeyman3875
Member


Joined: 06 Jul 2005
Location: Charlotte, NC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are lucky (and unlucky at the same time), mine (radiator) just plain exploded (cracked). Almost had to get the jeep towed to the mechanic. Luckily I just had to refill the radieator and drive it the 2 miles.
_________________
-1997 Stock XJ
-4.0 L
-4-speed automatic
-130k Miles (and counting)-> let me know of any preventative maintenance you guys can think of. PM me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Visit links4jeeps.com for write-ups, forums and clubs




Jeep®, Wrangler, Cherokee, Liberty and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler LLC.
jeephorizons.com is not in any way associated with or endorsed by the Chrysler LLC.
All other content is copyright Jeep Horizons 2004-2008.
Tech write-ups Links Discussion board Land use News Site Map Terms of Use

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group