Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lift and Tire Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scoob

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:34 am    Post subject: Lift and Tire Question Reply with quote

I have a 05 Unlimited and am looking for a lift kit that will give the best ride and still fit 33/12.5/15's. With it pretty heavy loaded (ARB bumper, winch, Subs and amps)

Next question is tire selection. This thing spends 95% of the time on the road but I live in Nebraska so most of the time the road is covered in snow and is my daily driver. So I need a tire that does REALLY GOOD in the snow but without the whine of Goodyear MT/R's and are not BFG's. Had nothing but problems with my last BFG AT's and swore I would never buy another BFG tire..

Thanks
Scoob
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally love OME lifts for the ride quality...I doubt any can beat it. The most important part of ride quality is the shocks. Edelbrock IAS come in a very close 2nd. Only problem with Edelbrocks I found was during cold weather when the temps got down @15* or lower, then the damping didnt work as well and they became sorta harsh. This was true on both my TJ and a 99 Dodge Ram I had.

Ive always liked the BFG AT's for snow or ice. What sort of problem did you have with them? IF your realy set against them another tire that I would concider would be the ProComp AT. It is the only year round AT that I know of that carries the Severe Weather rating that is typically only awarded to snow tires. The only thing with them is they dont offer a 10.5 x 33. Narrower is better for snow.

I run the TrXus 12.5x33 MT on mine. They are very sticky and work great on wet and icey roads. But the 12.5 width can be a problem if the snow gets more than a couple inches deep and then they just want to climb on top and then the traction disapears.

When I need tires again, Ill be looking for 10.5 width due to winter driving.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
Scoob

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhatWasIThinkin wrote:

Ive always liked the BFG AT's for snow or ice. What sort of problem did you have with them? IF your realy set against them another tire that I would concider would be the ProComp AT.

TY very much for you input. I have heard great things about the EMU lifts but I didn't know they made a 3.5" - 4" kit. Thought the most you could get is a 2.5" which would only get me to 32/11.5 tires. Could you please give me a linky to one of those that will allow me to run 33/12.5's. They sound perfect.

Problem I had with the BFG AT's was that I bought 5 for a 98 TJ within 1 month one of them had a broken belt inside (at least that what they told me at the tire store) they replaced that one with no problem 2 weeks later 2 more have the same exact problem. I take the jeep back to the tire store and they tell me my Jeep is causing this problem not thier tires and the will not replace them. This jeep has never had a problem with tires before or since. (Note: these tires have less then 500 miles on them) So I figure I will just contact BFG to get the problem straightened out. No dice, they tell me they can only go by what the store said and that I am stuck with the tires. I bought a set of Kelly AWR to run on it. That was 30,000 miles ago and not a problem.
Spent 300 bucks on 2 tires that lasted 400 miles, never again!!!

Thanks again for the input on the EMU's
Scoob
IBTJn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the TJ I have the RE-4.5" SF kit, with OME shocks. A very nice combo for me. It actually rides nicer than it did 100% stock. On the XJ we have a 2" OME kit. I'm a fan of the OME stuff...especially their shocks.

But for tires, I'm not sure there is something that would fit all the criteria you have. However, it might be worth a look at the Toyo (Open Country) AT's. But I'm not sure how well they'd air down as they are a fairly heavy side wall. If you plan on mud though, I'm not sure how well they'd do. Nevertheless, they were an excellent quality tire...especially for winter driving. Balanced nicely, high mileage, quiet on the road, etc.

But unlike you, the whine of an agressive tread doesn't bother me in the least. I personally prefer the more agressive tread designs for our uses out here where we get a little of everything; snow, ice, mud, rocks, etc.

Just a couple of ideas to consider.
Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suspension, Steering & Tires All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: