Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

seeking advice on AMC V8 intake options

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bockwinkle

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject: seeking advice on AMC V8 intake options Reply with quote

just got my .030 360 back from rebuilders about 6 months ago and while I was slapping it all back together I did some test runs around the block to make sure everything was working ok at various stages of assembly. I noticed a huge difference in response and power when running without a hood. Subsequent to installing the hood for street legal driving I developed an overheating problem which I remedied by installing a high flow 180 thermostat and building a sheetmetal radiator shroud which allows me to suck low flying birds in through the grill. The engine compartment has gotten very warm. I insulated the fuel lines with the sleeves since they ran fairly close to the headers but the intake is just a K&N 15" diameter filter sitting atop the 600 AFB. I am running a 1" carb spacer so the top pleats on the air filter are basically touching the bottom of the hood and the sides are just sucking in hot humid air. Man when I took the hood off it was like driving a different beast....got to be the difference in the air quality. Anyone experienced with perhaps louvers in the hood to let the hot air out or some sort of snorkel or custom intake to get cooler air to the engine? Air scoop in hood? Anyone?
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: seeking advice on AMC V8 intake options Reply with quote

Bockwinkle wrote:
building a sheetmetal radiator shroud which allows me to suck low flying birds in through the grill.

I would think that louvers couldn't hurt - any way that you can get heat out is bound to help. Swamp Boy installed hood vens from a Chrysler Lebaron Turbo on his ZJ. Obviously a different model, but it helped him. Send him a PM, I'm sure he can give some advice on hacking into your hood. Wink

Oh yeah, not sure what model you have, but have you thought about some sort of risers to raise your hood some?
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vents I have are actually from a Lumina Z 34 but they did drasticly reduce my under hood temps and in turn engine temps..

My under hood temps went down about 50*.. Thats an amazing difference..

Also.. When I was in the bone yard the other day I saw a Suburu Forrester Turbo..

It had a small functional hood scoop and two side vents ..IT looked very sweet. If I didnt have the holes already cut in mine I would have snatched that stuff up..

Mine are set up more as a heat extractor but they could easily be mounted the other way around to draw air in..

Check out Jegs or Summit for functional hood scoops to get you some ram air.. and get some of that heat out from under the hood..

Good luck..

Carl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Bockwinkle

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:33 am    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

that is some good advice Swamp Boy....I think I will take a ride to my local junkyard and see what I can find as far as intakes/louvers. 50 degrees is huge and would more than solve my hotness issue.

The stock 7 slot grill has the provisions for mounting 2 rectangular snorkels that could feed a stock type air cleaner housing (sorta like stock only with 2 hoses feeding it instead of 1) has anyone ever experimented with that?

I guess I am combining 2 seperate issues......the underhood temp is one thing which effects the engine performance...ideally I would think sucking in air from around the radiator for the engine to breath would be the best and then install some louvers to help with underhood temps and engine cooling.

I gotta post some pictures this weekend.....won't drink too heavy tonight so I can possibly figure out how to post some pictures of my current setup.

Thanks Code & Swamp
Bockwinkle

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject: this are kinda cool (no pun intended) Reply with quote

http://www.raceace.com/productshood.html?x=34&y=5

sort of a neat product..a bit pricey though...might look at a hvac supply house for some louvers for less $
Bockwinkle

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: nice louvered CJ hood Reply with quote

http://www.hotrodlouvers.com/louver19.jpg
Bockwinkle

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:43 am    Post subject: even cheaper Reply with quote

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Louvered-Panel-Hood-Louvers-X-Long-6x14_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ42611QQitemZ4567884383QQrdZ1
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> CJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: