Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best 2" lift kit?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KnightFire

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Best 2" lift kit? Reply with quote

While I've decided to go ahead and get 32" tires even though its my daily driver, I'm also thinking about putting a 2" lift under her too.

What's your guys' suggestion as far as the best kit to do the job RIGHT.

I've been looking at the OME 2.5" lift, but damn $$$! I know to do it right, it's gonna cost, but I also plan on putting 35's and a real nice 4.5" long arm kit at some point (after I get another daily driver). So spending ~$800.00 for a small lift 2" that I'll most likely replace in a few years, doesn't seem to make sense to me...

What is your opinion?

Thanks!!!

KnightFire

Amsoil Dealer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
KnightFire

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I've found so far:

OME 2" Kit $708.00

Front and rear coil springs, top and bottom poly spring isolators, Emu Nitrocharger shock absorber, transfer case lowering kit and track bar relocation bracket.

Fabtech 2.5" $495.00

Fully adjustable billet coil spring seats will raise the spring height while retaining your stock front and rear coil springs. This lifts the vehicle without compromising the "factory" ride. Spacers provide adjustability of the suspension level from the front to rear and from side to side. Kits include Fabtech Performance Shocks with 10-stage valving and extended urethane bump stops.

Rancho 2.5" $663.00

Systems include front and rear performance coil springs. Also, included are greasable front and rear lower links to improve cornering, anti- sway control and overall handling characteristics. Kit includes transfer case lowering spacers to maintain proper driveline angles, rear track bar relocation bracket, transfer case linkage relocation bracket and rear bump stop spacers. Rancho shocks of your choice are available separately.

RE 2" $230.00

Spring spacers. Longer travel shocks provide a sportier ride

Let me know which you think would be the best fit for my daily driver and why.

Thanks!!!

KnightFire

Amsoil Dealer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you know that you will replace it then go with the RE BB. Or check out this guy's link he was selling BB pretty cheap

http://jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=5348

I love my OME lift, but I am going to upgrade within the next year and a 1/2.

My Morning Jacket
95sahara

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan on going with the RE BB within a month or so, but search around a little more on that price, I've been told over on JeepForum.com that you can get the RE kit for under $200 shipped.
PICS
KnightFire

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the RE 2" kit, will I need to purchase bump stops as well? What about the track bar relocation? What other considerations should I have when adding a 2" kit?

I don't think I'll have to worry about dropping the TC case, due to the 1" MML I have, but I'm not 100% on that.

I don't know a lot about lifting suspensions...just want to make sure I do it right the 1st time.

I do intend on upgrading to 35's and a long arm kit, but that won't be for another 3-4yrs.

KeithTJ:
The OME kit looks like it's the most complete...please give me your impessions on yours, how does it handle on the paved roads? How does it handle in the corners? One of the things I like about my current OEM suspension is that it actually corners VERY well, no flex in the chasis at all. It is a bit rough going over potholes and such, but it does handle nicely. I prefere a firm suspension, just want to make sure it doesn't feel like I'm riding on marshmellows and I can't feel the road. Also, how did you decide between the soft/med/hard setups?

BTW I love the photos of yours on this OME kit and 32s...thats the exact stance I'm looking for, perfect for a daily driver and still has some room for weekend playing.

Thanks all!!!

KnightFire

Amsoil Dealer
95sahara

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rear bumpstop extensions come with the kit, I'm pretty sure they do anyway. You shouldn't have to worry about anything else. Just put the kit on and go.
PICS
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KnightFire wrote:

KeithTJ:
The OME kit looks like it's the most complete...please give me your impessions on yours, how does it handle on the paved roads? How does it handle in the corners? One of the things I like about my current OEM suspension is that it actually corners VERY well, no flex in the chasis at all. It is a bit rough going over potholes and such, but it does handle nicely. I prefere a firm suspension, just want to make sure it doesn't feel like I'm riding on marshmellows and I can't feel the road. Also, how did you decide between the soft/med/hard setups?

KnightFire

I love the lift, it rides better than stock. As far as corners go, you'll have some lean, but it's not bad at all. OME is the cadillac version of shocks and suspension for jeeps. You'll notice a smoother ride with that lift and a simple 1" BL will allow you to use 33's. I've had mine for atleast 4 years now and still love it and no spring sag yet. I went with the hard springs just becuase it would give me a little more boost than advertised. I got 3" out of my lift, but I have the dreaded 4 cyl so that is one reason there. Don't worry though it wont feel like you are riding on marshmellows, and you'll still feel the road. If you plan on keeping the lift for a while then it's great, but if you plan on only running it for two years then going bigger, I wouldn't get it.

here is my jeep with the ome and 1"bl with 33's

My Morning Jacket
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you were gonna bump up bigger in the next couple months to a year, I'd say just get the BB and be done with it. With the 3~4 year time frame you're looking at, I'd go for the OME kit now and run the risk of eating a coupla bucks in the long run. I don't have the kit, but know enough people that have and they all love it. I've rode in one or two and the ride is much better than what I had back when I ran a 2" BB. It's a complete kit and rather straight forward installation. Only thing that's not included is an adustable front trackbar, but you'd prolly be able to get away w/o one. I know it's a lot more cash than the other option, but for a daily driver, I don't think you'd regret it for a second.
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've skipped out on the adjustable front track bar and the control arms for a long time now.

My Morning Jacket
KnightFire

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keithtj wrote:
I've skipped out on the adjustable front track bar and the control arms for a long time now.

What are the benefits of adding these?

Thanks!

KnightFire

Amsoil Dealer
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The control arms will give your axles the ability to drop more and give you better agility for offroad. The front track bar will help decrease bump steer, which I've never really had a big problem with. Teraflex makes a front track bar for around $135 and control arms differ in prices between makes. It's not something that is required for the kit, but can help when it comes to wheeling.

My Morning Jacket
KnightFire

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keithtj wrote:
The control arms will give your axles the ability to drop more and give you better agility for offroad. The front track bar will help decrease bump steer, which I've never really had a big problem with. Teraflex makes a front track bar for around $135 and control arms differ in prices between makes. It's not something that is required for the kit, but can help when it comes to wheeling.

Ok, I can bypass those items as well...for now.

Looks like I'll probably go ahead and get the OME setup, not the most cost conservative, but I think I'll be happy with it for the time I'll be using it (a few years).

Is there anything else I should purchase with this kit, I'm guessing I'll need bump stops as their not listed, what else will I need? Shock boots?

Thanks everyone I appreciate your guidance!

KnightFire

Amsoil Dealer
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go OME, the ride is the best of the bunch. The other companies lift are fine, except they stiffen the damping in the shock valving wAAAAAAAAY too much and give a harsh ride.

OME gives a great ride on road and is about as rugged as you would ever need offroad with a DD.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the kit did come with bumpstop extensions. Lemme poke around a bit more about that. BTW, OK4WD has the kit listed for $650. Could save ya a coupla bucks here and there. There's a pic in that link of a TJ with 32's and the OME setup to give ya an idea of how it looks.
KnightFire

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'drack wrote:
I thought the kit did come with bumpstop extensions. Lemme poke around a bit more about that. BTW, OK4WD has the kit listed for $650. Could save ya a coupla bucks here and there. There's a pic in that link of a TJ with 32's and the OME setup to give ya an idea of how it looks.

Sweet! Thanks for the link!!! Mine will be slightly higher due to the 1" body lift, also should I get the light or heavy duty? I'm thinking HD, just because I intend on putting some aftermarket bumpers on (which are far heavier than OEM)

Opinions?

Thanks again guys, your help has made my decision process, MUCH easier!

KnightFire

Amsoil Dealer
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suspension, Steering & Tires All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: