Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

U-Joints

View previous topic :: View next topic  
90XJ4X4

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:14 am    Post subject: U-Joints Reply with quote

I am going to replace the joints, I heard somewhere there are stronger-than-stock joints. Anybody know the manufacturer or part #s for a '90?

ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which ujoints? The driveshaft or the front axles? For the driveshafts, you can just go with greasable Spicers. They are a huge improvement over the factory joints.

On the front axle, you can upgrade from the 5-260x to the stronger 5-297x u-joints.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
90XJ4X4

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Thats what I was looking for, the 297's and greasable spicers. I am just going to replace the driveshaft joints at both ends. Hey Phantum, I got under it and couldn't really find much slop in the joints. My rig moans with a slight vibration on the highway, from somewhere in the back. Any ideas...joints are where I am starting, I hope its not time to rebuild my rear end.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be u-joints, but it could also be a tire issue, a wheel bearing, a pinion bearing, a carrier bearing, etc.

When does it moan? When accelerating, coasting, decelerating or all of the above? Does the tone and/or volume change with speed?

Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
90XJ4X4

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phantum,
Thanks for the help. When I scoped it out closely this afternoon, this is what I found. The noise begins as the rig speeds up, slowly or quickly. Its 2 different noises...a 'moan' (very quiet, but my wife can hear it) and what sounds like 'dry' gears meshing. Not a grind but almost. OK...here's how it goes, both sounds doing the same thing. There is also an almost undetectable vibration, which shows up in the rear view mirror. Real high frequency, not like a tire.

If I put it in neutral or let off the gas, it goes away.
It does not change with the tranny shifting, just increases with speed.
No change in turns, and no sound or vibes when braking.
Its under acceleration and when cruising, not when braking.

3 things....'moan', 'vibration', 'grind' (Not really a grind, 'dry gears" sorta sound....) Easier to hear and feel the faster I go.

Stock '90. Wanna get this all sorted out before lift, lockers and 31's..

90XJ4X4

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went down to NAPA and picked up two joints for the rear. They did not have spicers, so I got Federal-Mogul "Super Strength". They are supposed to be STRONG. I have a couple questions though, before tearing into the job, since I live way out of town on a ranch.

The grease zerks are not the usual type...??? Is there a 'new' or different type of zerk these days?

Also, they are 280's...I can't find anywhere what they are supposed to be, (gotta get a FSM). Are 280's correct?

ehirner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThePhantum wrote:
On the front axle, you can upgrade from the 5-260x to the stronger 5-297x u-joints.

The 297s are actually not made any longer and have been replaced with the 760s. Either way, they require the corresponding shafts for the larger u-joint.
90XJ4X4

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, 297's, 760's...for the front. My primary question is this...Napa sold me a pair of 280's for the back. Is this the correct joint?

If I tear it down and they don't fit, gotta go back to Napa in my illegal Caddy or the boss's Cummins.

ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's usually the best course of action. There have been too many times that I've bought parts in advance and they end up not being the correct one. So I usually try and tear down first, then bring the old parts with me to get new ones.

Quote:
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThePhantum wrote:
That's usually the best course of action. There have been too many times that I've bought parts in advance and they end up not being the correct one. So I usually try and tear down first, then bring the old parts with me to get new ones.

I agree 100% take the old parts to be safe!! Everytime I go to Advance they seem to give me the wrong dam thing rofl rofl rofl rofl
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rofl I was refering to buying parts ahead of time...not just at Advance. Mr. Green

The last time it happened was when I was replacing my pinion seals. I figured it's a D30 seal, how could they screw that up? Well they did, and I ended up having to make a trip to Fredericksburg Auto Parts in the middle of a wrenching party.

Quote:
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThePhantum wrote:
rofl I was refering to buying parts ahead of time...not just at Advance. Mr. Green

The last time it happened was when I was replacing my pinion seals. I figured it's a D30 seal, how could they screw that up? Well they did, and I ended up having to make a trip to Fredericksburg Auto Parts in the middle of a wrenching party.

Which time????? rofl rofl I remember a few trips too Wink But yes I have gotten in the habit of doing it all the time too, better to be safe than sorry Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: