Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Propane instead of gas

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:05 am    Post subject: Propane instead of gas Reply with quote

I was at my local Jeep shop the other day looking at one of their rigs.
This bugy runs on propane instead of gasoline. This got me thinking about switching my jeep to propane. Does anyone know a lot about this? I'm concerend with the mileage and loss of power (if any) also the best type of conversion kits. With gas prices still rising, I'm looking at other options.

My Morning Jacket
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive seen a few that have been converted, but Im certainly no expert.

From what I understand, power loss is minimal and from some reports Ive read, there may be no lose at all.

Way less emisions to the environment then from burnt gas because it burns cleaner and more efficient.

I understand that milage is improved but I cant say how much.
Right now propane is cheaper than gas, so it would be cheaper now. But seeing that propane/natural gas markets follow oil/gas prices its likely that near future per gallon price will go up as gas has been. So maybe a little cheaper in the long run.

With propane you must be way more aware about how much you have on board seeing that there arent propane stations on every corner 24/7 like gas stations.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right I understand that I can't fill up at almost any gas station, and I've wondered about the prices also. I'm just really pissed at the gas prices right now, I wish I could run off of soy fuel, hopefully there will be more alternatives to gas.

My Morning Jacket
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try to find an article I saw a few months ago - basically, there's a company that sells retrofit kits using fork lift tanks. It got good mileage but the range was somewhat limited. I'll see what I can find.

Oh yeah, some states will give you a discount on your taxes if you have an alternate fuel vehicle.
Edit: try the first link listed. http://www.links4jeeps.com/search.php?whichtype=all&filled=1&search=propane
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here's some good info for you. Wink
http://www.kentuckycleanfuels.org/lpg/lpg.html
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the links, I wonder if I should add a grill to the heep too!

I can hear Hank Hill now, I know I'm making him proud!

My Morning Jacket
Nicole'sYJ

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahaha! My dad is the gen. manager of a propane plant and we keep trying to get him to call my dog pearl "lady bird," and get him to say "the only thing I'm trickin' out now is sweet lady propane!" Mr. Green
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was a pledge in my fraternity, one of my pledge brothers could talk just like Hank Hill and the brothers made him talk like that for an entire week. One of the funniest things I've ever heard.

My Morning Jacket
Pero

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Australian importer of Italian LPG systems.

Quote:
LPG is a commonly used name for automotive liquefied petroleum gas and it is recognised as the most important and widely accepted alternative fuel. LPG is composed mainly of propane and butane, with minor amounts of propylene and butylene.

LPG has been safely used in vehicles in Australia since the early 1970’s. Some would argue the manner in which LPG is stored in a vehicle is safer than petrol. Autogas is stored in a pressure vessel that is designed to withstand four times its maximum operating pressure. An LPG tank is made from 3mm carbon steel, whereas many cars are now fitted with composite or plastic petrol tanks. LPG tanks also have a number of safety features, which include a pressure relief valve, an excess flow valve, and an automatic shut-off device. The LPG system also has a lock-off under bonnet, which is activated when the electrical supply to the engine is cut.

AS1425 LP Gas Fuel Systems for Vehicles is the Australian Standard that regulates the installation and maintenance of LPG systems in Australia. The specifications and requirements of AS1425 are some of the most stringent in the world, and mechanics need to undergo specific training in LPG fitment and servicing before they can be certified to work on LPG vehicles.

LPG has an odourant added to it so that if there is a leak at the service station or in your fuel line, it can be easily detected by anyone. As LPG is heavier than air, the LPG installation is fitted so that even in the unlikely event of a leak, the LPG is vented safely outside the vehicle.

All of the above safety factors are reflected in the fact that no additional premiums are charged by insurance companies for running your vehicle on LPG, as underwriters consider no additional risk in using LPG compared to conventional fuel.

The main advantage of using LPG is the cost saving. You can save up to 50 % on fuel costs by running your vehicles on automotive LPG. That’s because LPG is generally half the price of petrol. In addition, LPG combustion is cleaner than petrol, so there’s less wear and tear on the engine, extending the life of the engine.

It is also generally accepted that 50% of the cost of conversion price will be recouped on the resale of the vehicle. If saving up to 50% on fuel costs isn’t enough reason to convert your vehicle to LPG, consider the environmental benefits – because that’s something that should concern us all.

LPG reduces greenhouse emissions substantially, and is widely acknowledged as a green fuel. Studies show that if a modern vehicle is converted to LPG, exhaust gas emissions are reduced as follows;

34% reduction in oxides of nitrogen

15% reduction in carbon dioxide

Virtually zero evaporative emissions of hydrocarbons

Combustion of LPG also results in less, and in some cases none, of the following harmful emissions;

Carbon monoxide - 50-60% reduction in tailpipe emissions

Smog – 30-40% reduction in tailpipe emissions

Sulphur dioxide – potentially zero emissions

Air toxins – potentially zero emissions

Using LPG not only reduces emissions and costs, it also reduces engine wear. This is particularly the case during cold starting, because LPG does not wash lubricating oil from the cylinder walls.

LPG has an octane rating above 100, while standard unleaded petrol has an octane level of 91, so LPG is well suited to performance applications. Torque remains the same and in some cases even increases with LPG. There may be a very slight drop in power, although this is not at all noticeable under normal driving conditions. An earlier gear downshift may be required when hill climbing. With continuing developments in the LPG injection systems, where the LPG is injected at the back of the inlet valve, power and torque benefits will result.

From my experience with LPG in Grand Gherokee 4.0 with automatic transmision:

LPG consumption is 10-20% higher than with petrol but here in Europe LPG costs slightly more than 50% of gasoline price. So it is still cheaper. Power loss is minimal and there is still enough power. Consumption and power depends on mixture of Propane - Butane.

It is possible to choose while driving to run on LPG or petrol, but car always starts at petrol whith cold engine! LPG tank in my car is 65 lit net.

Cost of installing LPG system is from 700-2000 $ (it depends on system and manufacturer!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Tech All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: