Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fog light covers - am I screwed?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nriethmann

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject: Fog light covers - am I screwed? Reply with quote

Hey all, first time poster here (you've been warned) with a quick question about my new Jeep. Just bought an '05 Rocky Mountain Edition TJ and, roads in Maine being what they are, I'd like to get some covers for the fog lights that came on it. The kicker is, I can't figure out what lights they are.

A friend bought me a set of covers (the black plastic ones with the Jeep logo on them -- you've seen them, I'm sure) but they don't look like they'll fit my fog lights. The screws around the rim of the light screw in from the back, vice the front like the majority of fog lights I've seen (in other words, there doesn't appear to be a way to afix a cover). They appear to be Hella lights (it says Hella on the glass, that is), but I can't seem to find a model number or anything on them.

Anyone else know something about this? Thanks in advance.
95sahara

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have an 05 RME and I have also thought about buying the Jeep logo fog light covers. The website says that they fit any and all 5" round lights, and I don't think they screw on, they snap on and off so you can use the lights whenever they are needed. I think that they just snap into the "ridge" where the two pieces of the light meet. So screw positions are a moot point. Try them out and see how they work. Then post some pics so I can see if I want to get them or not. Very Happy
PICS
nriethmann

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I was thinking, but I haven't come across any that snap on. I remember reading something about them a little while ago (but before I bought the Jeep -- I was browsing forums back then, reading about them -- so I didn't make much of a point to remember where). Now, I can't, for the life of me, remember where I saw them. Got a web address?

A fellow 05 REMer, outstanding. Thanks a lot.
ehirner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OE covers that I had, snapped on to little nipples on the front edge of the light housing. I don't know if that system has changed since the lights I had. For the Jeep covers, I'd check with www.jeepsareus.com.
Scoob

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

15 Bucks at Jeepsareus Smile

http://www.jeepsareus.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=JAU&Product_Code=MB117&Category_Code=Wrangler7
nriethmann

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the kicker: those are the covers I have. A larger picture is available here. They came with these little rubber "attachment knobs" that go on each of the three screws in the outer ring on the front of the fog light, and the covers have three small openings on the back that snap onto these knobs. The problem is that my fog lights, and presumably 95sahara's fog lights, have three screws in the back that hold the outer ring on (at least, I think that's what they do; I haven't taken them out yet -- that's tomorrow morning's project), not the front. Perhaps the idea is to remove the factory outer ring and reverse the screws. That would allow you to use the knobs, I think, but would be somewhat lame because it wouldn't allow you to just pop the cover off and rock your lights -- you'd have to pop off the attachment knobs, reverse the screws, and put the factory outer rings back on. Or not. I'll find out more in the morning, I suppose. I'll let you know what I find.

Thanks for all the input.
AggieDog

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if I can help, but Jeep changed their driving/fog lights in 03 or 04. You may be purchasing covers for the older version. I purchased a set of the older ones on sale for 60 bucks for both of them and covers at my dealer. I think the newer lights are supposed to be better. If you cant get them to fit, maybe just buy a set of covers from KC lights or someone else with the elastic version that slips over the front of the lights.
04 Rocky Mtn Edition TJ, 4.0 L 5 Speed Manual, D44 rearend,4.56 gears, Jeeperman rear bumper, swingaway, Jamboree rack, Warn front bumper, Warn steering box skid plate, Warn oilpan skidplate, Rubicon 3.5 lift, Warn CE M8000 winch.
ehirner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AggieDog wrote:
Not sure if I can help, but Jeep changed their driving/fog lights in 03 or 04. You may be purchasing covers for the older version. I purchased a set of the older ones on sale for 60 bucks for both of them and covers at my dealer. I think the newer lights are supposed to be better. If you cant get them to fit, maybe just buy a set of covers from KC lights or someone else with the elastic version that slips over the front of the lights.

If they changed them, it wasn't prior to 2004. My 04 has the same basic housings as previous years. Perhaps 05 they were changed, I don't have an 05 to look at.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: