Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another Lift Advice Question

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MM1Jeeper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:45 pm    Post subject: Another Lift Advice Question Reply with quote

Hey all,
I'm a newbie looking for some advice. My wife bought me a 1999 TJ a year and a half ago (while I was deployed....she's WONDERFUL) and said that I can do anything I want to it. I'm looking to get a 4" lift for it, but, though I am a "mechanic" in the Navy, I am not that mechanically inclined and have opted to let a shop install it for me. Anyway, I was wondering what the best brand to get it is without going overboard on the price. The shop guy recommended a PRO-COMP, though from other forums I have gotten the feeling that they are not worth getting. Anyway, I was wondering what the thoughts were here, since this seems to be the best group of knowledgaeable people I have found, and I have LOOKED. Well thanks for any advice you can give me, and keep on jeepin.
1fox2go

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hear superlift has a good one for the tj
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The knock about ProComp seems to be their shocks and control arms. People that run their coils seem to be happy with them, but usually run them in a hybrid lift with other manufacturers components. What size tire are you looking at running? Some kits, like the RE 3.5", actually run taller than they're tagged. Those particular coils will run about 4 1/4" or so and don't seem to settle much. Another thing to consider at the height you decide on is long arm vs. short arm kits for restoring control arm angles (and ride quality). I run a 4(ish)" short arm setup and can say it's a bit less than desirable on the pavement and will be upgrading it very shortly. As far as ride quality goes, shocks are gonna make or break your ride. Like I said with ProComp, they're kidney shaking stiff (I ran a Rancho RS5000 which is supposed to be similar). I've switched to OME shocks and the ride quality is nothing short of phenominal now (albeit on a swb vehicle with short arms none the less). That's just some broad info for ya, some more specifics and I'm sure others will be able to chime in as well Smile .
otisdog4

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also recommend the RE 3.5 Superflex kit. Get some good shocks and an adjustable front trackbar to go with it.
I started with the Pro Comp 4". The springs are great but the control arms don't flex and will eventually rip brackets off. I just recently put RE Superflex lower CA's on. The ES shocks that come with the Pro Comp suck - but I upgraded those when I bought the lift to MX6 shocks.
Jim
IBTJn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the RE (Rubicon Express) 4.5" Superflex kit on my TJ. I also have the Old Man Emu (OME) shocks on it. An absolute excellent combination IMO. It's more expensive than some, but worth it. Even the 3.5" would with the OME shocks is a good combo'. Some shops will promote what they make the most profit on, some promote what the best kit is. Some shops up here won't install the kit of your choice if it's one they don't normally carry. Do some shopping on price, too. Many shops will be competetive to what you can buy the kit at online, knowing they will probably get the installation business, as well. Such was the case with me.

Wink
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IBTJn wrote:
Some shops will promote what they make the most profit on, some promote what the best kit is.

This is absolutely true as well. If worse comes to worse, order the kit you want from any of the gagillion vendors you can find online and find a shop that'll put it on for ya....or save a bundle and find some local people that'll help you out with the install. We're a tight knit group of enthusiasts and no matter where ya live, you're sure to find a handful of people willing to help ya out Smile .
ZONA

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will say two things.

1) Do it right the first time. There is no bigger waste of money then going with a cheap lift to save a few bucks only to later on upgrade. Yes, the long arm kits do have a better highway ride and even flex more off road then a short arm lift but unless you are going 4" or higher, a quality short arm is not that bad, if you get good shocks. I have a 3" Teraflex Deluxe short arm kit with 33" BFG's on 15X10's and that gives me a wide track so I don't have any problems on the pavement. Since I only went 3" and had the drop done, I don't have any vibes in the drive shaft.

2) What ever lift you choose, Shop prices. I'm lucky enough to live in Phoenix where there are a ton of shops and I went from one to the next and kept saying the other guy was cheaper and got a sweet deal. I also did that on my gear drop and locker. Check it out. I got front and rear Dana Spicer 4.10 gears and a rear Powertrax Lockright, installed and after taxes for $1000.00. Shop that price around and see what you get. Alot of people told me no way, that's what I would get just for one axle but I got both gears done with the locker for that. You would be surprised at how low they will go. They all have major profit built on all this stuff and especially the labor.
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought 32 X 11.5 BFG AT tires and I'm getting a little rub in tight turns, To correct for the rub I was thinking of doing a 2" lift and all I found were spring spacer kits. What are the pros and cons of these kits? will the lift help with the rub or will have to buy wheels with different offset.

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're more than likely rubbing your control arms when you turn. If it's just a little, all you have to do is add a washer or two to the steering stops. This'll limit the turn radius ever so slightly and prevent the rubber to suspension contact. Fifty cent mod at your Home Depot Mr. Green .
ehirner

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJ Apex wrote:
I just bought 32 X 11.5 BFG AT tires and I'm getting a little rub in tight turns, To correct for the rub I was thinking of doing a 2" lift and all I found were spring spacer kits. What are the pros and cons of these kits? will the lift help with the rub or will have to buy wheels with different offset.

Where are you rubbing? Control arms? A lift won't do squat to alleviate your rubbing problems. Your backspacing is too deep and it putting the wider tires into the suspension. Check your rear tires also. They will be dangerously close to the upper coil perch. It's a sharp metal piece that can slice your sidewall. Lifting the vehicle, without getting the rear axle properly center, will exacerbate the problem.
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your right, the fronts are hitting the lip on the lower control arm but only when I turn full lock. I haven't checked the rears yet, but I will.
Oh darn...Looks like I'll have to talk my wife in to buying news wheels now.

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a check on the rears and I have about an 1 1/4 between the tire and the spring perch, I think I'll be ok on the rears.
I'd still like to know what are the pros and cons are of the spring spacer kits though.

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pro's cheap way to lift your vehicle.
Con's not a full suspesnion so wont really do much for you as far as wheeling goes.

I know a few people that run it though, and they love it.

My Morning Jacket
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thing with the spacer lift is it doesn't address the trackbars. The 1 1/4 is fine now. You throw a 2" spacer in there and it's gonna shift the axle over (to the passenger side I believe). That's gonna pull the opposite side wayyy to close to the perch if it doesn't rub against it all together. Same deal with the front ('cept there's no perches to worry about). If you do the lift, either get new wheels, wheel spacers, or have the trackbars recentered to retain the clearance you have now. Like I said, the front can be addressed with an adjustment to the steering stops at your current height while retaining the existing wheels. I ran a spacer kit with 32x11.50's and had no other adjustments made...only thing was I was running wheels that had 3.75" backspacing.

Pro's of the lift are that they are inexpensive and do give ya some more clearance to flex the tires when offroad. It's relatively easy to install and generally doesn't require any other modifications as a resulf of it......aside from some tire/wheel clearance issues Wink .
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I get the 2" spacer kit, how do you adjust the rear track bar. I would think the factory bar would be non-adjustable.

As for wheels, I'm running the steel basic 5 spoke 15 X 7 (or 8 not sure on the width) chrome wheel. I'd like to find some used Rubicon wheels, but everyone wants a ton of cash for them.

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: