Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Jeep Owner, a few questions re: hood, wheels:)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rynnakat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: New Jeep Owner, a few questions re: hood, wheels:) Reply with quote

Hi there, hope this pic shows up Smile If not, its at http://www.rynnakat.com/Jeepfront.jpg

I bought my Jeep on Wednesday and I just have a couple of questions that I haven't found the answers on the forums yet.

It°¶s a 1997 Wrangler SE 2.5L Manual with 105,000 miles.

#1 - What size tires do I have? -see pic. I have looked at the codes, but I didn°¶t see anything about 28-31 etc.. I can look again but I thought someone would recognise them. I have looked on ebay and I think these are the optional --Gambler rims-- is that correct? They look less than 31"

#2 - I don't see a bar to hold the hood up, do I lean it back against the windshield or is a bar supposed to be there? If so, which side?

#3 - Does the performance mod for the 2.5L improve the pickup on the highway? Has anyone tried it yet? I got one on ebay shipping today.

#4 Does it look like it has a small body lift? When I park next to other wranglers it seems taller. How does a newbie look for lift parts?

#5 I have averaged 2 tanks and it looks like I am getting 19 mpg. Is that higher than normal? I am a big manual trans fan, and I was happy to get higher than 15. I have been cruising about 65 mph on the highway.

And thanks for the posts about the vacuum hoses --no air in mid panel-- You guys saved me a trip to the shop!

Thank you looking forward to talking to everyone! I've been wanting a Jeep for 10 years, this is my first Jeep!

Kathleen

-----
Meyow
KnightFire

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum!

1. It appears you have 30" tires.

2. There should be a hood prop on the left hand side (as you face the motor opening the hood) under the hood itself.

3. What's this performance mod of which you speak? Frankly if you want better mpg and performance go with proven bolt-ons, ie headers, exhaust, free flow intake.

4. It's difficult to tell in that shot, but body height looks OEM to me.

5. That sounds about right, however you may want to go ahead and change your spark plugs, unless you know their new. That could help in mpg race a bit.

You can get all kinds of parts from various venders, some of my favorites are www.jcwhitney.com www.quadratec.com www.offroadtoystore.com etc, just google what you need and you'll get a whole host of websites, then come back here and ask on an exact part, these guys seem to know who has the best deals.

I'm sure others will chime in and clarify any mistakes that I've made in my diagnosis. LOL

KnightFire

Amsoil Dealer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Rynnakat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for your comments ! I have another view of the jeep too Smile I am a dork for not looking up for the prop bar. .. LOL. Now I think I see the wheel size as I look at these pics. I was looking at the smaller codes on the tire. The mod I am talking about is if you search for "mod wrangler" on ebay, its a chip. (Haven't put it on yet, just ordered one)

Kathleen

-----
Meyow
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: New Jeep Owner, a few questions re: hood, wheels:) Reply with quote

Rynnakat wrote:

Hi there, hope this pic shows up Smile If not, its at http://www.rynnakat.com/Jeepfront.jpg

I bought my Jeep on Wednesday and I just have a couple of questions that I haven't found the answers on the forums yet.

It°¶s a 1997 Wrangler SE 2.5L Manual with 105,000 miles.

#1 - What size tires do I have? -see pic. I have looked at the codes, but I didn°¶t see anything about 28-31 etc.. I can look again but I thought someone would recognise them. I have looked on ebay and I think these are the optional --Gambler rims-- is that correct? They look less than 31"

The tires size is more likely marked 235/70R15 if there 29" or maybe 265/75R15 if 30"

#2 - I don't see a bar to hold the hood up, do I lean it back against the windshield or is a bar supposed to be there? If so, which side?

It should be up under the hood. You can lay the hood back to the roof, I do it all the time. Just be cautious on windy days

#3 - Does the performance mod for the 2.5L improve the pickup on the highway? Has anyone tried it yet? I got one on ebay shipping today.

On the I6 Im not a fan of chips, but I cant honestly say how they work on the 4 banger

#4 Does it look like it has a small body lift? When I park next to other wranglers it seems taller. How does a newbie look for lift parts?

Its hard to tell from these pics. If you have some sort of BL the easiest place to see the lift is at the rear of the Jeep. Looking over the rear bumper and under the body, you will see a body puck of some sort near the rear corners. Stock are @ 1/2"to 5/8" tall. Aftermarket lifts will either be stacked on top of the rubber pucks or completely replace them with something much taller than the above mentioned. Take a pic and post it for us, if your not sure.

As far as some sort of suspension lift, its hard to tell from your pics also. Take a pic of the front spring/shock area and post it. Im sure we can figure it out for you.

#5 I have averaged 2 tanks and it looks like I am getting 19 mpg. Is that higher than normal? I am a big manual trans fan, and I was happy to get higher than 15. I have been cruising about 65 mph on the highway.

19 is great milage.....dont I wish I had that

And thanks for the posts about the vacuum hoses --no air in mid panel-- You guys saved me a trip to the shop!

Thank you looking forward to talking to everyone! I've been wanting a Jeep for 10 years, this is my first Jeep!

Kathleen

Have fun and remember to wave!

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
Rynnakat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much! I did get my first wave the second day of driving, and I cried tears of joy afterward (Yes I waved back) It was a Dream come true Smile I'll let you guys know after I do the mod chip and compare the mpg and let you know if its worth it in the 4 banger Smile

Love,
Kat

-----
Meyow
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I to have the dreaded 4 banger, never done anything to get better mpg out of it or tried any mods that would give more power. Welcome to the board though.

My Morning Jacket
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

19 mpg? I'd give anything to get that. Wink

I recently replaced my exhaust and catalytic converter - I think it's gone up slighty, but still too soon to tell.
lawrence914

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum. Please let us know about your chip results. If I have a strong tailwind, I'll get 18mpg. Most of us would take that 19 and be very happy. Smile

Detroit, eh? My grandma is in Royal Oak.

Congrats on your new toy... looks nice and clean!

-L
kizer
The Link Meister
The Link Meister

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Computer chips? Bahhhh, yo get a lot of power adding them deseil rigs, but I'm going to guess your not going to squeeze much more out of the 2.5 with a chip.

2.5 is just that a 2.5. Remember its not a honda nor a sports car. I get crap all the time for doing 65 in a 70 becasue I'm geared for climbing not racing as well Jeeps are as aerodynamic as a brick on a skate and we are not going anywhere fast. Wink

Welcome to the broke world. Wink
bltracer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

97 TJ SE 2.5 L
5 speed

Mods:

3 Inch Body Lift (self made Transfer Case Shifter Adapter)
32 Inch Tires
K&N Air Filter
Pacesetter Header (all new, all the way back)
Front Tow Bar
Rear Tow Bar
No Top
No Doors
Safari Top

Driving:

I drive with a lead foot...
Hilly Area between Placerville and Pollock Pines, California (2500 - 4000 ft elevation change in 13 miles)

Usually between 3rd and 4th all the way up, but I get 5th all the way down!!!!

15 MPG average

Its a BLOCK on 4 BIG tires pushing ALOT of air, but fun as heck. Town is crawling with Jeeps going to the Rubicon these days (about an hour away, and the last town on the way). If you are heading up, stop by the new Kragen store (in Pollock Pines) and say howdy!!!

bltracer

aka: Brian
TJgirl

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice little blue jeep there Kat, enjoy your new jeep! I checked out your web site, you do some nice art work! you go girl!
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hilly Area between Placerville and Pollock Pines, California (2500 - 4000 ft elevation change in 13 miles)

I'm like you bltracer, If anyone is familiar with Wrightwood Ca. then you might know of Lone Pine Canyon rd. (LPC). At the base of LPC the elevation is 2600ft and as you climb it at a 10% grade it tops out at 5800ft in about 7 miles (My home is 6065 ft.). I can pretty much stay in 4th all the all the way up but, I probably use gallons to the mile. on the way down I coast.

I average about 16 mpg with A/C blowing. I havenít had the jeep that long, only about 2 months, so I havenít done a check without the A/C yet.
And I found that with the A/C on and top up or top down A/C off it doesnít matter, the mileage is the same.
And who would drive with the top down and A/C on anyway?
TJgirl

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drive that erea often, I can do it in 3rd keeping it at 55 or 4rth stays right around 50. I have the 2.4L though
Rynnakat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drive a manual, and I noticed with regular gas I get about 21mpg if I stay in 5th gear and stay around 60-65 mph. I have done 2 tanks like this and got 19mpg at first and now I get 21. I am trying to coast to a stop, coast when I see a red light etc, instead of pounding the gas all the time. Seems to help out. I don't have A/C though Smile

Kat

-----
Meyow
quadna71

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

common downfall to perfomance chips are that they often require 93 octane in the tank. sort of a turn off in my book.
chris (nice looking jeep though)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: