Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rubicon Express Vs Rough Country

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hhassey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: Rubicon Express Vs Rough Country Reply with quote

Hi there, I own a 2005 Jeep Wrangler X

and I am planning to get a suspension lift, i'm not shure weather it should be a RE 3.5 or RE 4.5 or the Rough Country 4" X-Series

Any comments???

The jp is my daily car and I go Offroading almost every week, i also like to get extream on the trails.
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't have much experience with the Rough Country but from what I've heard and read that it is not a great kit. Rubicon Express makes some of the best products. I'd go hands down with RE. You'll want to budget for the sye though you might be able to get away with out it running the RE3.5" lift.

My Morning Jacket
flyerjib

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually have the 6" X-series lift on my Jeep and have absolutely no problems with it. I think it was kind of nice to save a little money in the process too. The company was very helpful and answered all my questions and was there to take my calls when I need some assistance in the instalation.
Custom bumpers
Ramsey Winch
Herculiner interior
Neoprene seat covers
Dana 44s front and rear w/ air lockers and hub conversion+much, much more... OlllllllO
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
1fox2go

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know someone who has rough country and i run tough country which are basically the same and i have no problems but mine isnbt a wrangler

just letting you know about their products
hhassey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RE 3.5" does not have upper control arms, is that a big deal?

and why would you want them to be adjustable? Shocked
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rear upper adjustables would be needed to tune in the pinion angle with a SYE kit. Not something completely necessary, but that kit also measures in at closer to 4.25". Black2001TJ put that on his Jeep and ran with the supplied tcase drop for awhile. The vibes that were still present even after the drop kit led him to installing the SYE to elimate that. Not sure how tall the 4.5" kit runs, but it's definately quite a bit more than 4.5" as well. Just something to think about.
ZONA

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's a daily driver you propbably want to go with a long arm kit. There are a few nice ones on the market now and even a few that are 100% bolt on. The long arms drive better on the road and have more flex off road but they cost more also.

Rubicon Express, from almost every after market shop I've talked to, has said it's the best there is.

Personally, I think you only need to go with a long arm if you are going 4" or higher.

I have an X and it's daily driver so I only went with 33's and you only need 3" lift to fit those. You get a little rubbing when fully flexed but nothing too bad. I have a TeraFlex short arm kit and no SYE. I don't get any vibes so I'm set.
hhassey

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats the difference between short arm and long arms???
ZONA

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hhassey wrote:

Short arms are where the control arms are pretty much straight, from the tire straight up to the frame. You probably don't want to go very high (4" is safe) because you lose the caster angle and they don't handle well.

http://www.tellico4x4.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/739_3072_3079/products_id/24144

Long arms are where the control arms are longer and instead of going from the tire area straight up to the frame, they move up and inward toward the oil pan area, restoring the caster angle back to factory specs, or at least very close. You get a much better ride with a long arm but they do cost more as well.

http://www.tellico4x4.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/739_3072_3079/products_id/24120
ehirner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZONA wrote:
hhassey wrote:

Short arms are where the control arms are pretty much straight, from the tire straight up to the frame. You probably don't want to go very high (4" is safe) because you lose the caster angle and they don't handle well.

http://www.tellico4x4.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/739_3072_3079/products_id/24144

Long arms are where the control arms are longer and instead of going from the tire area straight up to the frame, they move up and inward toward the oil pan area, restoring the caster angle back to factory specs, or at least very close. You get a much better ride with a long arm but they do cost more as well.

http://www.tellico4x4.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/739_3072_3079/products_id/24120

The length of your arms, with respect to long arm or short arm, has nothing to do with caster angle. The difference is basically the length of the arm. On a stock Jeep, the control arms are parallel to the frame and you have a nice smooth ride. The axle moves up and down nearly vertical as you travel over bumps, allowing the coil springs and shocks to absorb the bumps.

When you lift a stock Jeep, the control arms are no longer parallel to the frame. When you hit a bump, some of the bump is absorbed by the coils and shocks, the rest is transmitted to the frame, and then the vehicle. Short arms are good for clearance but bad for ride comfort when you get to about 4" of lift or higher. Also, as the axle droops(or with really tall short arm lifts, the axle swings towards the axle mount point. This also degrades ride comfort as it shortens the wheelbase.

Long arms work to restore stock control arm angles and therefore, smooth out the ride on a lifted Jeep. The stock frame mounts for the control arms are removed and aftermarket frame mounts are added. The aftermarket mounts are moved more towards the middle of the Jeep. Long arms are more parallel to the frame and correct the movement of the axle as the suspension articulates.
T.O.W. Vehicle

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Rubicon Express Vs Rough Country Reply with quote

hhassey wrote:
Hi there, I own a 2005 Jeep Wrangler X

and I am planning to get a suspension lift, i'm not shure weather it should be a RE 3.5 or RE 4.5 or the Rough Country 4" X-Series

Any comments???

The jp is my daily car and I go Offroading almost every week, i also like to get extream on the trails.

I too wanted the RE 3.5" lift. The wife sez...Whatever you want dear. What the heck, it's going to settle anyway, right? Ordered the RE 4.5" lift kit and SYE.

It's been over a year and it ain't settled yet! The wife is maxed out climbing that high and I'm pushing it too! GREAT KIT

RE don't settle like some. I spent the extra for the SYE & drive shaft and HAPPY I did. Didn't have to drop my skidplate and lose what I was trying to get in the first place, clearance!

Followed the instructions though somewhat vague in some areas and only had to adjust my rear pinion angle a year later after adding a Lockrite Locker.

Best money I spent in a while. RE is the way to go. Good support too all ya have to do is call, they'll help out.

Oh did I mention, it ain't cheap, but, you probably already know that, huh?

Warn X8000i winch, Warn Rock Bumpers
RE 4.5"Super Flex Lift
AA HD SYE
JKS Quicker Disconnects
Shrockguards
Tellico & Windrock Tested & Customized!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: