Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

help!!studdering/hesitating/miss-fire engine problems!!!!!!?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
99blktj

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: help!!studdering/hesitating/miss-fire engine problems!!!!!!? Reply with quote

my 4cyl tj started hesitating, stalling and all around takin a shit on me. it threw 2 engine codes, one is for a tps sensor and one is for gauge cluster something. so i spent the $60 and bought a tps sensor, it didnt help my problem. so i decided to change the plugs/wires and as bad as they were i thought i found the problem so i took it up the road expecting the problems to be fixed but there still there. i cant figure it out. can anyone help me with this? thanks. shawn.
bltracer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad Gas???
KnightFire

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After you installed the TPS and reset the PCM, any more codes pop up?

It could be a whole slew of things...need more details as to under what conditions it's missing.

KnightFire

Amsoil Dealer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jiles111

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a clogged Mass Air Flow sensor that caused the same symtoms. I changed the air filter and it sucked in a piece of the new filer and it happened to stick to the sensor. The engine was thinking it was not getting any air. Ran like crud for about 20 seconds then it would die.
http://bigcountryoff-road.com/
99blktj

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i also thought about the bad gas so i went today and bought some gas treatment, no help. i did reset the comp. but i havent had the code read as of yet. tomorrow i will have the codes read again and also i will purchase a fuel filter. some of my friends told me that it could be the cat. converter but i thought that would throw a code bye itself? im stumped. if i knew what the damn problemv was i could fix it. thsnks for the help. any more suggestions on what this could be? peace.
99blktj

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i noticed that it only does this while at partial throttle. i filled up today at sunocco with 89 for $2.70 a damn gallon. but still no difference. studders and misses. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!
ibspo2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: SAME PROBLEM Reply with quote

TODAY I ACTUALLY SENT MY JEEP BACK TO THE DEALERSHIP BECAUSE IT WAS HESITATING AT A LOW RPM. I REPLACED MY AIR FILTER THINKING THAT THE DIRTY AIR FILTER COULD BE THE PROBLEM, BUT IT STILL CONTINUED. THIS HAPPENED TO ME BEFORE AND AGIAN LAST TIME I TOOK IT TO THE DEALERSHIP AND I HAD MANAGED TO SOMEHOW BURN UP THE SPARKPLUG IN CYLINDER 3. AFTER THEY REPLACED THE SPARKPLUG IT WORKED FINE. THIS TIME I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT COULD BE THE MATTER WITH IT, BUT I WILL KEEP YOU INFORMED ON WHAT THE MECHANICS TELL ME.
bltracer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its only happening at anything but full or no throttle, its probably an O2 sensor. I had the front on go bad and could only drive it floored or idle...
ibspo2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i finally got my jeep back and to find out somehow i had managed to burn up, and i mean burn up every single sparkplug i had in the stupid thing, and somehow bent a tie rod but thats a different problem. I heard from a friend to not put champion spark plugs in your jeep that they are the worst you can get. So anyways just wanted to reply and tell everyone how i solved the problem. you wrote that you changed your plugs out so i guess i am not any help to you.
99blktj

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the spark plugs that i took out were so badly burned there was no center(not sure the name of the center) the spark had to jump about 3/8's of an inch!. I bought a fuel filter today but i dont think that is the prob. as soon as i get a chance i will install it this weekend. i hope its not the 02 sensor, thats another $70 or so. i guess i could replace the dist. cap. if i pull the o2 sensor can i tell by looking at it if its fried?
bltracer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the O2, you cant tell anything, you need to measure the voltage and know how to read a voltmeter to tell anything. An OBD2 scanner should be able to tell you if they are working. And BTW, plan on more than $80.00 each...

I tried the "After Market" ones, and they lasted about 1 month before giving me trouble again...

I talked to a Exhaust friend of mine, he said "Go to Jeep and get an OEM one!!!" Its OBD2 now and they are VERY VERY touchy. I paid $240 for both O2's and havn't had a problem since...
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: