Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shock & Lift kit ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gamgan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:33 am    Post subject: Shock & Lift kit ? Reply with quote

My TJ98 still has its original bushings and they are all beaten up, I wish to replace them all but not sure which set to buy, and for about 200-300 a kit, really dont want to end up buying the wrong ones ( quality I mean)

Does any one recomend a complete wrangler bushing set they have tried before? or Know about? I am looking for smoother ride for my GF and her Kids

At the same time I wish to install a mild lift ( so as not to compromise saftey)

I have been suggested OME shocks & lift , they are a bit pricey, is there any thing else as good but for less? or is OME really the best investment?

And what would I have to buy exactly? Shock set + 2.5" lift kit + full set of bushings and what else?

Also when Ehirner said to replace my control arms with EO and not worry about replacing the bushing in y old control arms, do you mean to buy the original stock control arms or an aftermarket item?

Sorry for the tons of questions but this is the only place I can get advice from, since I really dont trust the vendors in my area. I have saved up to buy these items and want to make sure I get the right ones
ehirner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Shock & Lift kit ? Reply with quote

Gamgan wrote:
At the same time I wish to install a mild lift ( so as not to compromise saftey)

I have been suggested OME shocks & lift , they are a bit pricey, is there any thing else as good but for less? or is OME really the best investment?

Yup, it's expensive. Yup, it's the best out there at that height. The only other setup I'd recommend is a budget boost. BB adds 2" spacers to the coils and replaces the shocks. There's really nothing else to it.

Quote:
Also when Ehirner said to replace my control arms with EO and not worry about replacing the bushing in y old control arms, do you mean to buy the original stock control arms or an aftermarket item?

Yup, I meant that rather than replacing the bushings in your arms, to get some OE control arms that another Jeeper removed. I have an entire set in my garage, all 8 of them, in my garage if your interested.

Keeping the stock arms is not a problem with a BB or even the OME 2.5. 3" is about the max you can lift without replacing the arms with adjustable aftermarket arms.
Gamgan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Throwing a ball park figure

how much would a BB come out too? and what items are needed?

And for a 2.5 OME lift, how much would that come out to? And what is it composed of? Coils? Lift Kit? Shocks? New controll arms ( or the ones in your garage) And how much would all this be?

And how do bushings relate to all these? Would I still need a full kit? A partial kit?
ehirner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not doing all your work for you.

Check with the vendors that advertise on this board (they have banner ads up top). Check with 4x4rockshop.com and 4x4groupbuy.com. DPGOffroad (www.dpgoffroad.com) is one of the best places for OME products. Dirk is a great help and will make you a great deal.
Gamgan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe I didnt mean it that way

The catalogs I have mention each item individualy, but does not say, If you are going to buy OME 2.5' lift , you should also buy X set of shocks and make sure while your at it you install controll arms, and as for bushings.....

You mentioned I would not have to replace the bushing in the controll arm since I should buy the whole thing. So does that mean that not all bushings will be needed? or just that one.

As for ball park figure, was asking in case any one else has done it and knows how much this would more or less come out too.

I will look up the adds you suggested

I really need to find a jeep club down, there seems to be a few of them but for mostly older jeeps and on the other side of the island.

I do apreciate all the help you guys give, and your pretty much my only source of info plus the walkthroughs I find onthe net.
Gamgan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are shocks something you can buy used? Or you should really get them brand new?

Not sure how fast they wear out, and if its a waste of cash to buy used

Here is a OME set of shocks on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/old-man-emu-shocks-jeep-offroad-lift_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33590QQitemZ7995171673QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
ehirner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those eBay OME shocks look pretty beat. I'd pass on them, personally.

If you want to go OME, stop looking at those catalogs and talk to Dirk at DPGOffroad. OME doesn't sell a kit. Dirk puts together some nice packages and he knows what he's talking about.

If you want to do the RE BB, then talk to DC4WD. DC has the best prices on RE products.

I'm not sure what you're talking about with respect to the bushings in the second last post. From my understanding of your question, if you replace all the control arms with newer ones that aren't worn, you'll be replacing all the bushings except for the two front UCA mounts. These bushings are pressed into the axle housing and are an extreme PITA to replace. I've done it twice and don't care to do it again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: