Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Insurance Co Thieves

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Death by Mullet

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Insurance Co Thieves Reply with quote

My name is Steve Penman and I live in Chico, CA. am in need of assistance and any help would be appreciated.
My CJ 7 was parked out front of my house when some guy ran into the back of it, totalling my baby of 10yrs.
Well, His insurance company will only give me $4,000. My lawyer told me that I am screwed but I am going to take
them to court anyway. What I need is proof of actual sales of CJ 7 jeeps to show to the judge that it is worth way more than offered 21st Century. My lawyer explained that I can not just show the judge the ads in the truck trader, I need actual sales. CAN ANYONE HELP ME?

Thanks,
Steve
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actual sales meaning the number built or what they're selling for?
Death by Mullet

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meaning what people paid for or sold their CJ 7 for, within a year or two to date. Basically, I need to prove to the judge/insurance company what my vehicle is worth today. Blue book says nothing compared to what people are paying today for CJ's in California.
Bockwinkle

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject: good luck Reply with quote

I work for a vendor of First Trenton Indemnity (which is owned by Travellers Ins.) and I can tell you that you are fighting an uphill battle. Your vehicle is only insured for Blue Book value UNLESS you the insured take the initiative and insure it via ammendments and riders for its actual replacement value. Basically if you want more coverage you gotta pay more. It doesn't seem fair that you pay healthy premiums already and that your rates are the same as vehicles costing 3x as much but that is how it works. I had a 78 CJ-7 that was a show jeep that I sunk an extra $15k into and I was already paying $800/yr for minimum coverage and when I went to State Farm to get 'proper' coverage they wanted to raise my premiums to over $2000/yr. I deal with people all day long who bitch about this exact same problem and many of them have gone to litigation and have been bitterly disappointed. My only advice is get a lawyer that will work for free (family member) or at least only charge a % of what you actually might win. If any lawyer is taking your money and telling you that you are gonna win then I would be very suspect of his integrity.

I wish you all the best in your case.
Bockwinkle

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject: on a more positive note Reply with quote

I would advise you not to 'go after' the insurance company....they can easily bury you and your lawyer if they so choose.......instead I have heard you can have decent success if you go after your personal insurance agent. It is the job of the insurance agent to make sure the insured has proper coverage. Unfortunately it is too often the case that the insurance agents are lazy and never go see a home or car in person to make sure that the insured has the proper coverage. That is their job...and very rarely do they do it.....they just take the basic information over the phone, quote you a price and hope for the best. Larger insurance agencies actually have insurance against being sued for underinsuring their clients. Perhaps that would be a better place to concentrate your efforts.

Hope this helps.
Death by Mullet

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is crime, they know they can get away with this. I'm sure that the total loss adjuster gets a bonus at the end of the year for under paying people like myself. The total loss adjuster told me that I could easily replace my jeep for $4,000. I replied by saying that if he could show me just one 85 cj7 like mine from the bay to Chico with 120k, new paint, hard top/doors, rebuilt motor, ac, plush interior, lift, 33's, rock crawler bumpers, dana 44''s, locked, for $4,000, that I would settle right now for 4k. He paused and said thats all I am getting. pissed If I were you guys, I would see what your policies state. ok, I am getting pissed again.

later,
Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> CJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: