Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Temp. ???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fastasu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:44 am    Post subject: Temp. ??? Reply with quote

Long story short. My 89 kept over heating only when I ran the ac. Watch the temp qauge, turn the ac off, temp went down. Someone was test driving it (yes I'm tring to sell it, but not to worry I still have a 87 (that I'm going to sell also)and a wrangler (that I'm keeping)) and apparently didn't watch the temp. gauge as told. Coolant was everywhere. Went ahead and got it home; pulled the rad, and went to get it rodded and cleaned. Radiator shop said it was shot so I went A.Z. and got their 3 row and a 180 thermostat. I know ,before anyone says, that it calls for 195, but I know these are prone to cooling problems so went this route.

Know for my 3 questions: Now my temp stays between the marks 155 and 180. It only went to 210 when it was turned off; when started, it quickly dropped down to the previous stated range. Could my temp gauge be reading wrong ? and if so how to check it? I know the i6 is made to run at a little higher temp, and if the temp gauge is correct; Do I need to go ahead and go with the 195? I really don't want to put any more money in it, but I don't want it to mess it up for somebodyelse.
Thanks for the input,
Matt
90XJ4X4

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt, compare my reply to your questions with others replies. That way, you will have the ability to confirm or reject what I tell you, leading you to the best solution.

Your cooling system is now functioning correctly. The reason an engine HEATS UP after being shut down is because the coolant, no longer being cooled by the radiator, sits in a 'heater'. An engine warms then cools after shutdown.

155-180 is just like mine, also with a 180.

A 180 is OK. A 165 will send the computer a signal to keep running rich, to warm the engine...this results in a tad more power, and worse fuel mileage.

My mpg did not change with the 180, and my engine thanks me for it, runs cool all the time.

tonloco

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was going to say the same thing as 90xj although i dont personally have an xj most of the folks i run with have said the same thing about thier xj
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: