Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tire Clearance Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RustyBrown

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:17 am    Post subject: Tire Clearance Question Reply with quote

Hey Guys,
Just a simple question. I have just installed a new set of wheels and tires to my 99'. They are 31 12.50 pro-comp x-terrains on weld racing sidewiner wheels. I also have Bushwacker 4" flares. I don't have as much clearance as I like and I was wondering wat I should go with to lift it a little. I would prefer not to use a body lift. Ho High should I go? a 2.5 lift or some spacers of some kind?
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a stock tj will handle the 31's, but if you want a mild lift for a little money, I would go with the Rubicon Express 2" budget boost. If you want a full suspension lift, then I would go with Old Man Emu's 2.5" lift.

My Morning Jacket
RustyBrown

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whenever I hit a bump with my tires they rub on the fenders I need just a bit of lift
ehirner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RustyBrown wrote:
whenever I hit a bump with my tires they rub on the fenders I need just a bit of lift

That's because they're 12.5" wide. 31x10.5s tuck nicely. Adding more suspension lift isn't going to fix the problem unless you adjust your bumpstop length to keep the tires from pushing up into the fenders. A 1" body lift will provide 1" more tire clearance and would be the easiest way to accomplish what you want to do without sacrificing upward travel of the suspension.
RustyBrown

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The back spacing on my wheels provide me with all the steering room I need. What I was trying to say is that when I hit a bump my tires rub the flare so the Issue is verticle clearance
RustyBrown

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been comparing the fabtech 2.5 and the arb 2.5. What would be the benefit of installing new coil springs versus putting in spacers. Which would you recomend?
ehirner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RustyBrown wrote:
The back spacing on my wheels provide me with all the steering room I need. What I was trying to say is that when I hit a bump my tires rub the flare so the Issue is verticle clearance

You're mixing up my statements. I was not talking about horizontal clearance between the tire and suspension components. I was talking about vertical clearance. And I was telling you that unless you lengthen your bumpstops, all the suspension lift in the world isn't going to keep you from rubbing the flares upon compression. Suspension lifts do not provide tire clearance, body lifts do. A 1" or taller body lift would provide you the clearance you need to prevent tires from rubbing the flares. Either that or lengthen your bumpstops to limit upward travel of the suspension.
RustyBrown

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry i didn't read your post correctly, my mistake, I know exactly what you are talking about I just wasn;t thinking. I don't want to extend my bump stops without lifting because I would like to have the extra travel. Would you go with the ome 2.5 or fabtech? I am leaning towards ome because I like the idea of new springs rather than spacers. What do you think?
ehirner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given those two options, your only choice is the OME. Coupled with their shocks, it's one of the best kits out there in their height range. Contact Dirk at DPGOffroad for the best service and information in regards to OME products.

See www.dpgoffroad.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: