Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

 Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dana 44?!?


 
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
flyerjib
Member


Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Location: Tampa, FL

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: Dana 44?!? Reply with quote

I am in the market to upgrade my axles since I already snapped my front one like a twig two cents. So I started checking around for different custom axle companies... Dynatrac wants $5k for a full up D44 front axle and $3.2k for a rear D60. I told him I found a place that was offering front and rear D44 W/ air lockers, rear disc brakes, thw whole shebang for $4.2k. He told me that the "Rubicon" D44 weren't worth it and that they weren't much different from what I already have?!? On some of the sites I've been looking at they offer the D44 but you still have to use the old D30 knuckles and such... how is that any stronger?!? After all... I broke it right outside the carrier on he long side... any thoughts? ???
_________________
'97 TJ
6" X-Series lift from Rough country
35" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws
Custom bumpers
Ramsey Winch
Herculiner interior
Neoprene seat covers
Dana 44s front and rear w/ air lockers and hub conversion+much, much more... OlllllllO
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ehirner
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 01 Jan 2004
Location: Eastern PA

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rubicon D44s and the TJ D44 are not much different from the D30 and D35. Aside from the differentials, rear shafts, and front inner shafts, they are more identical to the D30 and D35 than you'd think. Tubes, brakes, hubs , knuckles, outer stub shafts, etc are all the same. A better option than the Rubi front 44 is an HP30 from an XJ/Cherokee. It's similar strength with better clearance and a lot cheaper. They can be pulled from salvage yards for $50 versus $500 for bare front Rubi 44 housings. If you really want a front 44, I would suggest getting an HP44 from EMS Offroad...already setup with TJ brackets for $750.
_________________
04 Unlimited
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
flyerjib
Member


Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Location: Tampa, FL

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was kind of shocked to hear how they weren't really all that different considering how everyone talks about the Rubi like it is the next best thing to sliced bread blah I will look into the other options when I get back into the states... I just can't see spendin all that money on a new Rubi when I could spend the same amount on my 97 and make it a crazy jeep Thanks for the info! Ciao!
_________________
'97 TJ
6" X-Series lift from Rough country
35" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws
Custom bumpers
Ramsey Winch
Herculiner interior
Neoprene seat covers
Dana 44s front and rear w/ air lockers and hub conversion+much, much more... OlllllllO
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ZONA
Member


Joined: 02 May 2005

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The D44 will allow the wheel to stay on if you break it where the D35 will not. That wheel will come off and there is no way to limp off the trail. You will have to fix it where it is.

I have a very reliable source - guy owns his own shop and has built many compitition rigs and they best way to ensure keeping your axles safe is to not break them, just kidding. Rolling Eyes

It all depends on how sever you want to go friend. With 35's and taller though, you need to do something. Staying with a 33" tire helps alot and you won't have to do much more then maybe getting allow axle kit with a D44 to give you a safe feeling. I asked him about the 8.8 and that's not too bad but it's not the same width as a D35 either. You will be a little shorter in the rear.

I asked about D60's and he told me that it was a waste of money unless you want to compete. If you're breaking D44's with alloy axles then you need to learn how to drive the rocks better or just bypass that obstacle that's going to break you Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
flyerjib
Member


Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Location: Tampa, FL

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok... I bought a set of Rubicon 44s from jeepsareus.com and finished installing the rear today. When I was bleeding the brakes I noticed that they never got the "hard as a rock" feeling like they normally do when you are bleeding the brakes?!? I did all four wheels and have the most spongy feeling brakes I have ever felt in my life but I am getting a steady stream of fluid with no air in the lines. My brake light is also staying on on my dash with my e brake off. Do I need to get a new master cylinder that is strong enough to push four disc brakes or maybe even a proportioning valve? Just wondering if any of you might have any expertise with this sort of thing?!? Thanks!
_________________
'97 TJ
6" X-Series lift from Rough country
35" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws
Custom bumpers
Ramsey Winch
Herculiner interior
Neoprene seat covers
Dana 44s front and rear w/ air lockers and hub conversion+much, much more... OlllllllO
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ehirner
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 01 Jan 2004
Location: Eastern PA

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyerjib wrote:
ok... I bought a set of Rubicon 44s from jeepsareus.com and finished installing the rear today. When I was bleeding the brakes I noticed that they never got the "hard as a rock" feeling like they normally do when you are bleeding the brakes?!? I did all four wheels and have the most spongy feeling brakes I have ever felt in my life but I am getting a steady stream of fluid with no air in the lines. My brake light is also staying on on my dash with my e brake off. Do I need to get a new master cylinder that is strong enough to push four disc brakes or maybe even a proportioning valve? Just wondering if any of you might have any expertise with this sort of thing?!? Thanks!

Do you have the calipers on the right sides? If the bleeder screws are below where the soft line bolts to the caliper, you have them on the wrong side. This will allow air to stay trapped in the brake system. You want the bleeder screws above the soft line.

Other than that, you don't need a stronger master cylinder or a different prop valve. The same parts are used across the TJ models regardless of rear brake type.
_________________
04 Unlimited
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
desertmoon
Member


Joined: 13 Aug 2005

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyerjib wrote:
I was kind of shocked to hear how they weren't really all that different considering how everyone talks about the Rubi like it is the next best thing to sliced bread blah I will look into the other options when I get back into the states... I just can't see spendin all that money on a new Rubi when I could spend the same amount on my 97 and make it a crazy jeep Thanks for the info! Ciao!


I, too, am a bit miffed at Jeep for this little trick. I consider this tactic of theirs right next to false advertising. I am just a trail runner so it isn't that big of a deal I guess.....but a D44 should be a D44....NOT an "upgraded" 30 or 35!!!!

The one little "bright" side to this is that Superior and Warn ( and others ) will be offering upgrades that will be satisfactory to trail runners such as myself.

Still......I shouldn't HAVE to....I should be able to lift my Rubi, add some sweetness mods and be done with it. But nooooooo.......

Sigh...Just Empty Every Pocket.


Nonetheless......life IS better in a Jeep.
_________________
asleep at the wheel
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ehirner
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 01 Jan 2004
Location: Eastern PA

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

desertmoon wrote:
I, too, am a bit miffed at Jeep for this little trick. I consider this tactic of theirs right next to false advertising. I am just a trail runner so it isn't that big of a deal I guess.....but a D44 should be a D44....NOT an "upgraded" 30 or 35!!!!

What defines a D44? What's a true D44? A Ford? A Chevy?

The D44 spec is based upon the center differential section. The manufacturer defines what the rest of the axle will be made of. The Rubicon uses D44s. There are some slight variations, such as the different pinion seals and the wider carrier, but otherwise, they're D44s.
_________________
04 Unlimited
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
desertmoon
Member


Joined: 13 Aug 2005

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehirner wrote:
desertmoon wrote:
I, too, am a bit miffed at Jeep for this little trick. I consider this tactic of theirs right next to false advertising. I am just a trail runner so it isn't that big of a deal I guess.....but a D44 should be a D44....NOT an "upgraded" 30 or 35!!!!

What defines a D44? What's a true D44? A Ford? A Chevy?

The D44 spec is based upon the center differential section. The manufacturer defines what the rest of the axle will be made of. The Rubicon uses D44s. There are some slight variations, such as the different pinion seals and the wider carrier, but otherwise, they're D44s.


Hmmm.....well, I learned something new today. I consider myself corrected.....I always thought that the two digit code covered most the general assembly, such as axel shaft diameter, knuckle construction, etc.

I, nonetheless, wish Jeep would have used heavier duty components on the Rubicon axel shafts ...God knows they charge enough for them.
_________________
asleep at the wheel
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
flyerjib
Member


Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Location: Tampa, FL

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The calipers were in fact on the wrong sides. I swapped sides and they now work perfectly! I have another question now! Do the Rubicon Dana 44's need the anti-foaming agent added to the differential fluid? I know my stock 97 didn't but I am unsure whether or not the rubi need it due to the air locker being used?!? Thanks again for all the help!
_________________
'97 TJ
6" X-Series lift from Rough country
35" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws
Custom bumpers
Ramsey Winch
Herculiner interior
Neoprene seat covers
Dana 44s front and rear w/ air lockers and hub conversion+much, much more... OlllllllO
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ehirner
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 01 Jan 2004
Location: Eastern PA

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyerjib wrote:
The calipers were in fact on the wrong sides. I swapped sides and they now work perfectly! I have another question now! Do the Rubicon Dana 44's need the anti-foaming agent added to the differential fluid? I know my stock 97 didn't but I am unsure whether or not the rubi need it due to the air locker being used?!? Thanks again for all the help!

You mean a friction modifier? They shouldn't, they don't use clutch packs for anything.
_________________
04 Unlimited
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Visit links4jeeps.com for write-ups, forums and clubs




Jeep®, Wrangler, Cherokee, Liberty and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler LLC.
jeephorizons.com is not in any way associated with or endorsed by the Chrysler LLC.
All other content is copyright Jeep Horizons 2004-2008.
Tech write-ups Links Discussion board Land use News Site Map Terms of Use

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group