Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bit by the lift / regear bug....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AggieDog

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:09 pm    Post subject: Bit by the lift / regear bug.... Reply with quote

Guys I am going to bite the bullet and put a Rubicon Express 3.5 superflex suspension lift on my 04 TJ. In addition I am going to have 3/4 inch pucks put under the front springs as I have a winch up front. Then I am having the jeep re-geared to 4.56. Additionally, I decided to go with an Auburn limited slip in the rear, and a Powertrax system n the front. Basically the guys at Central 4 wheel drive told me if you arent going the locker route this is a real good way to set your jeep up, especially if it is going to see primarily highway use. I am also adding a slip yoke eliminator, and a new rear driveshaft made to fit my jeep.

I'll run my 32's till I get sick of them, and then get a set of 33's for it. I'm tired of wishing it was higher, wishing it was re-geared, etc.

Taking it in this Saterday and will pick it up later that week.

JEEP = Just Empty Every Pocket!

Very Happy Very Happy
04 Rocky Mtn Edition TJ, 4.0 L 5 Speed Manual, D44 rearend,4.56 gears, Jeeperman rear bumper, swingaway, Jamboree rack, Warn front bumper, Warn steering box skid plate, Warn oilpan skidplate, Rubicon 3.5 lift, Warn CE M8000 winch.
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a plan. I ran something real similar to that when I had 33's and was damn pleased with it. The useable power onroad with 4.56's and 33's was phenominal thumbs .
AggieDog

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll probably have to run the 32's for quite a while before I get into 33's, but in looking at the RPM chart, I am still in the yellow, and right next to where you ideally would want to be if running 33's, so I think it will be fine. I am still struggling with the Auburn LSD in the rear, and am wondering if I should just go ahead and put a Detroit Locker in the rear. I am really not interested in going the air locker route.
04 Rocky Mtn Edition TJ, 4.0 L 5 Speed Manual, D44 rearend,4.56 gears, Jeeperman rear bumper, swingaway, Jamboree rack, Warn front bumper, Warn steering box skid plate, Warn oilpan skidplate, Rubicon 3.5 lift, Warn CE M8000 winch.
otisdog4

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I think I'd skip the Auburn in the rear. Go with a full locker or keep what you have. The Eaton E-Locker is a good one for the D44 rear - however they are on backorder everywhere. It's an electric selectable.
Jim
ehirner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

otisdog4 wrote:
Personally I think I'd skip the Auburn in the rear. Go with a full locker or keep what you have. The Eaton E-Locker is a good one for the D44 rear - however they are on backorder everywhere. It's an electric selectable.
Jim

Actually, that's a really good point. I wanted to post it before but forgot.

There's not much point throwing a limited slip (especially a friction-based unit) in there. If you really want to stick with a limited slip, go with the TruTrac. Otherwise, I'd suggest a selectable locker of some form...ARB Airlocker, Detroit Electrac (which has had it share of problems), or the Eaton Elocker. OX is also trying to get back into the game with the cable actuated selectable Ox-Locker.
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehirner wrote:
If you really want to stick with a limited slip, go with the TruTrac.

Yah, that's the one I'm running. Much better than the factory offering, but obviously still not locker. A lot of folks don't seem to mind a fulltime locker in the rear, me, it'd drive me nuts. The rear limited slip is just the right compliment for a front locker on a daily driver for my needs and tolerance level Mr. Green . Selectable is the way to go, but it also costs a more. I'm currently having an ARB put in a HP30 for the front and will someday get a matching unit for the rear, but it really isn't a priority right now. If it's a daily driver, build it up accordingly. No sense in throwing shit on it that'll make your day to day life miserable and make ya wanna sell the thing Wink .
AggieDog

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gents, I have done considerable talking to a few other jeepers and I am going to stick with the Powertrax in the front and the Auburn LSD in the rear.

Several guys around here run that setup and handle the Rubicon just fine, plus it makes it a good daily driver on the highway.

This setup I think will make me happy. I'd say the Eaton isnt an option if it isnt available. While it is still a limited slip, the Auburn LSD has a very good reputation for a)working, and b) lasting a long time.
ehirner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AggieDog wrote:
Gents, I have done considerable talking to a few other jeepers and I am going to stick with the Powertrax in the front and the Auburn LSD in the rear.

Several guys around here run that setup and handle the Rubicon just fine, plus it makes it a good daily driver on the highway.

This setup I think will make me happy. I'd say the Eaton isnt an option if it isnt available. While it is still a limited slip, the Auburn LSD has a very good reputation for a)working, and b) lasting a long time.

I'd still go with the TruTrac (a gear driven LSD) than the clutch packs in the Auburn. It will wear out.
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why I was in the market for the TruTrac as well, the fact that I picked one up for next to nothing sealed the deal Wink . Gear driven is stronger, more durable and more reliable regarding engagement than the clutch pack offering. Mind ya, my only other LSD was the TracLoc that came from Toledo with it. No experience with the Auburn, but after dealing with the TracLoc and having to engage the e-brake a couple clicks to make it even functional, I just decided to stay clear of the whole genre.
cetrov

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yah know, if you look around a bit you can find a used set of lockers pretty cheap. I got a ARB for the front 30 for $300.00, a used arb compressor for $125.00. I had to buy a new one for the rear but that was an exchange from the Detroit Electrac I was have tons of problems with.

Being able to turn them on and off is THE best thing about them, on and off the trial.
AggieDog

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys won out. I instructed the shop to put a Detroit Truetrak in the rear differential, and the Powertrax in the front differential.
AggieDog

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, the other thing I decided to do is put the 3/4 pucks under front and rear because I have the Jeeperman bumper and swingaway on the rear, plus the rock crawler rack and Gi can holders.
AggieDog

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well guys, I picked up the jeep this evening and it looks nice, feels right again from a gears perspective. I drove it about 20 miles and parked it to let the differential cool. I will have to remember to do that for the front the first time I use it in 4 wheel drive.

Jeep sits right, drives nice, and I am eager to get it off road.
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good deal, ya can't beat regearing for restoring the 'lost' power when ya bump up in tire size. Yah, it's expensive, but it's the only real fix thumbs .
AggieDog

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drack, lot's of power, even more than when stock, and suspension is tight. I am really liking it. I'll put a pic up if I ever get around to taking one. I put 3/4 inch pucks on top of each coil, and the jeep sits great, a slight nose down with the jeep empty, but when you load up the back end, it should be nice. Everyone agreed at the shop that putting the spacers in was a good thing to do. Really pleased.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: