Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

4" lift Q's (SYE ect...)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lil_sahara450r

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: 4" lift Q's (SYE ect...) Reply with quote

hey everyone, im new here. i have a few questions about the 4 inchers. for one, is there anyone who is runing just the TC drop without any problems, or do i absolutely have to get the SYE kit? will i need to do any steering mods? also what should i look for in a kit (control arms ect...)?

the jeep is a 02 sahara with the D35 in the back

remember this is my daily driver, not a rockcrawler, it will see mostly street but a trail bout once a month or so

thanks in advance for your replys, and i have to say THIS SITE ROCKS
otisdog4

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct - your main concern with a lift that high is the driveline vibes. The problem is that all Jeeps seem to be different. A t-case drop works for one guy and not for the next. I lifted 4" and had to do an SYE but I have a 44 rear axle and the 4 sp auto tranny which is a very short driveshaft combo. There's really no other problems - stock steering is ok.
A lot of kits are fairly complete but one thing they usually don't address is the front trackbar. I recommend getting an adjustable front trackbar along with any kit you might buy.
Stay away from any lift that includes control arms that don't flex. If the control arms don't have a flex joint of some sort you can have problems with extra stress on the CA mounts.
One good lift that is popular is the RE 3.5 Superflex. It will usually net 4", has good lower control arms and possibly will allow you to get by with a t-case drop.
Another possibilty is to do a 3" lift like BDS or Black Diamond and a 1" body lift.
Jim
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

otisdog4 wrote:

Another possibilty is to do a 3" lift like BDS or Black Diamond and a 1" body lift.

I'll second that. Ya didn't say what size tire you're looking at fitting, but sticking to 3" of suspension will lessen the driveline issues and make the ride more comforting on shortarms than a 4" lift. The 3+1 combo will be more than sufficient for 33" tires. It'll save some money in upgrages the 4" and probably deliver a better ride for a daily driver (unless you were planning on a longarm kit at 4").
lil_sahara450r

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was lookin at runin 33"s with a 15x8 wheel, i was acualy lookin at doin the 3+1 combo for awhile, im just trying to make my mind up, there are way to many choices.....ive heard the D35 usualy has less vibe issues then the 44 also. but my main goal is just to make my jeep big and functional for a DD. i hate how weak it looks now. by the way, if you cant tell, im a newbie at all this stuff. i bought the jeep bout 4 monthes ago...thanks for all the help guy, keep up the good work
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, as a rule of thumb, the D35 is less prone to vibes at the same given height as a D44 (generally). If you don't need to maximize articulation for the type of wheeling you're gonna do, you can even get away with just a spacer lift and a 1" BL. That'll run ya $300 tops and no worries about vibrations, replacing control arms, SYE, trackbars, et al. You'll pretty much be retaining the factory ride with that setup as well. If ya don't need that much lift, why waste the money and cause more aggrivation then necessary. Just a thought.
AggieDog

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isnt one advantage of having a SYE on your transfer case if you happen to damage your rear driveshaft wheeling, you can take the driveshaft off, and oil wont leak out of your transfer case,. stock jeeps without a SLE, you cant do that, which means you will need to be towed in or repair on the spot. With the SYE, you can remove the rear driveshaft, and use your front wheel drive to get home with.

For me, this is a big reason to go ahead and get the SYE.
04 Rocky Mtn Edition TJ, 4.0 L 5 Speed Manual, D44 rearend,4.56 gears, Jeeperman rear bumper, swingaway, Jamboree rack, Warn front bumper, Warn steering box skid plate, Warn oilpan skidplate, Rubicon 3.5 lift, Warn CE M8000 winch.
ehirner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AggieDog wrote:
Isnt one advantage of having a SYE on your transfer case if you happen to damage your rear driveshaft wheeling, you can take the driveshaft off, and oil wont leak out of your transfer case,. stock jeeps without a SLE, you cant do that, which means you will need to be towed in or repair on the spot. With the SYE, you can remove the rear driveshaft, and use your front wheel drive to get home with.

For me, this is a big reason to go ahead and get the SYE.

The 231s in TJs have another seal in the tailhousing that prevents this from happening should you need to remove the driveshaft and limp it home.
AggieDog

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric, I had no idea, thanks for correcting that. It's guys like you, Drake, and a few others that I really Glean alot of info from and I appriate it. I must of got that info from someone with an older version. Thanks. and that actually is good to know.
04 Rocky Mtn Edition TJ, 4.0 L 5 Speed Manual, D44 rearend,4.56 gears, Jeeperman rear bumper, swingaway, Jamboree rack, Warn front bumper, Warn steering box skid plate, Warn oilpan skidplate, Rubicon 3.5 lift, Warn CE M8000 winch.
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yah, before I upgraded to a SYE, I came down hard off a rock @ Paragon and somehow ( Wink ) caught my driveshaft. When I started pulling out it spun the driveshaft off making a mess of the rear output shaft on the tcase. Took off the shaft on the trail and drove it home in 4HI. Not a fun drive down the highway in 4HI with a front locker though Mr. Green .
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: