Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Front Steering Dampener

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mucker111

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:24 am    Post subject: Front Steering Dampener Reply with quote

Well, I've got the beginnings of some Death Wobble.
I've got a stock '02TJ with no lift but am starting to get the pants-crapping shimmy's!

I went to the dealership to price an OEM steering dampner....$160!!
Does this seem right? Sounded high to me!
Wouldn't have thought much more than $60 for something stock....$160 for performance maybe!

Do you guys go with any good brands (other than Mopar/OEM)?
tonloco

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am no mechanic but on rig that new and no lift i would not think you should be getting a death wobble i would get a front end alighnment first just in case you may have hit somthing and knocked it out of kilter
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$160 bucks for a crappy $6 OEM stabilizer Shocked No wonder they are called Stealerships pissed

IMHO the best and by the way least expensive stabilizer is available from NAPA. There part number is SC2928. This is made by Munroe but is harder to find, whereas theres a NAPA on almost any corner. When I last bought one a little over a year ago I paid $29. Ive read that some have even found dealers that sell them cheaper than that....so I suppose it depends on your market area.

It works. Its beefy. Its as well built as any aftermarket stabilizer out there, and trust me, Ive abused them all. Most of the aftermarket sell for at least $50 or more these days. One other difference that Munroe builds into these are extra wide oil scrapers, seals, and the piston itself. Most companies just use thier standard shock at a 50/50 valving. But shocks are designed to be installed vertically, whereas stabilizers are horizontal. Over time the stress of being horizontal causes excess wear on the seals, scapers and piston. With almost double of the surface area absorbing the load, this adds extra life to the Munroes.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double check the bushings in your front swaybar connectors. Might be that they've started to go bad on ya. Seems odd that a damper would go bad that quick on a fairly new rig in stock shape.
1fox2go

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea i snugged my sway bar down up front helped me out a lot
ibspo2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: SAME HERE Reply with quote

I have the same problem. My jeep shakes violently and its only a 2003. I've gotten the tires balanced, rotated, i had the front end aligned, i thought maybe it was a tie rod but they are fine, and now i am getting ready to replace the dampener. i just wondered if you ever figured out what it was that cased it to do that. the dealership told me it was my tires, but it doesn't sound right to me. i have no lift on my jeep and my tire size isn't that big 265/75r15.
mucker111

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should've posted an update to this thread....

I upgraded to new 31" Procomp XT's and my problem went away.
Notice one of my old tires was worn quite nicely on the inside quarter (think it was the front left).

I did go and buy a Rancho 5000 shock for $70 at a nearby Jeep shop...way better than the dam stealership....I never did put the dampener in though....sorta sitting on it (not literally--ouch!).
ehirner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: SAME HERE Reply with quote

ibspo2 wrote:
I have the same problem. My jeep shakes violently and its only a 2003. I've gotten the tires balanced, rotated, i had the front end aligned, i thought maybe it was a tie rod but they are fine, and now i am getting ready to replace the dampener. i just wondered if you ever figured out what it was that cased it to do that. the dealership told me it was my tires, but it doesn't sound right to me. i have no lift on my jeep and my tire size isn't that big 265/75r15.

If you have a wobble, it isn't the steering dampener. Swapping out for a larger stabilizer will do nothing to fix the problem, only put a band-aid on and cover it up.
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mucker111 wrote:

Notice one of my old tires was worn quite nicely on the inside quarter (think it was the front left).

Get an alignment and keep an eye on your tires. Something isn't wearing right and your new tires will get eaten up if it isn't corrected....leading to the same problem again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: