Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Grand on an ATV trail

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
1fox2go

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:28 am    Post subject: Grand on an ATV trail Reply with quote

This weekend went wheeling, I had my grand on a trail for small atvs it was tight as hell...i ended up having to turn around tho but it was fun seeing that i got quite far

then went to a mud hole me and stevo pulled a yj with a v8 and 35 gumbo mudders out fun fun

anywho stevo hooked to my front end and i hooked the yj to pull him out (his t case lockd and it was like pulling him in park)

my tow hooks got bent pretty bad so moral of this story is im lookin to replace the hooks with a front mounted hitch anyone know where one is for a grand and about how much they cost?

and i still got that back tire coming off the ground causing my jeep to teeter todder...i need help fixing that any ideas?

thanks
95sahara

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what do you mean tire coming off the ground?
PICS
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

95sahara wrote:
what do you mean tire coming off the ground?

Yea, need some more info there. Under what circumstances does it come off the ground?

ZJ front hitch reciever - $125 from Quadratec.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
1fox2go

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry

umm its like when i have my right front and right rear on level ground and then my left front goes into a big dip the right rear comes off the ground

say im going down a hill and go to make a left turn well the inside of the turn is really low where as everywhere else is high so the front left tire goes into that dip making the right rear come off the ground

its hard to explain in words but does that help?
1fox2go

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hell yea thanks phantom for the hitch do you recomend it over hooks?
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I'd recommend a front bumper with recovery points. Wink

I ran a front hitch on the XJ for about a year or so and then upgraded to a pre-runner style bumper (see picture in sig). The hitch is still a better option than straight hooks though, since recovery load is distributed to both "frame rails".

As far as the tire coming off the ground...it sounds like the front swaybar is not disconnected.

Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they werent but it wasnt my front tires it was my rear i gotta little better way to use words here goes

im on the trail and its a left turn the insde turn is really low and the outside is high so my right front is up high left rear is about level right rear is about level or little higher and left front goes into this dip make the left rear come off the ground

if i disconnect the swaybar in the rear wold that help? or would it be too hard to control?
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the front swaybar isn't disconnected, when you droop a front tire, the swaybar is going to pull that (front) side of the body down with the axle, taking the opposite side tire in the rear off the ground...or it will break the end link. So disconnecting it should solve the problem.

As far as the rear bar, there's coils back there so I'm not sure on ZJ's (Swampy would be the man to answer), but on TJ's (also 4 coils) best practice is to leave the rear bar connected...although some folks will debate that.

Quote:
1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not know that the front sway bar also controled that...thank you very much for you help
1fox2go

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey um i looked at them hooks and the brackets they mount to are bent all to hell...do i need these for the front hitch to mount on or does the hitch mount another way?
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll probably have to take the brackets off to put on the hitch.

Quote:
1fox2go

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k good thanks
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest going to Kevinsjeepparts.com and get a radiator support bracket ...

[img]

it not only gives you better tow points it protects the base of your radiator..

And its on sale right now for $99..

For the record I have not had a rear swaybar on my Jeep in over 5 years..

What I would suggest is checking to make sure your shocks are long enough and after that I guess you will need more lift.. Because no matter what kind or height lift you have there will eventually be a point when your tires will start to lift..

IF you think you are lifting to soon change something..But be warned longer shocks without lifting more could make your ride crap ....Like if your shocks bottom out on bumps... Wink Wink Wink [/img]

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
1fox2go

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

would that cause thesame problem i had with the hooks? bending them and the brackets?
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The radiator support bracket ties in better with the frame than a set of tow hook brackets does. Plus, if you throw on a couple of 3/4', 10K or 15k lb d-rings (like in the pic) you'll be set.

Quote:
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: