Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to properly remove drain plugs in floor

View previous topic :: View next topic  
guesswho369

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:53 am    Post subject: How to properly remove drain plugs in floor Reply with quote

I'm hoping someone has a suggestion for me on this; I'm referring to the 6 elongated drain plugs (4 in front, 2 in back foot wells). It looks like they are glued in and painted over; my concern is that if I try to cut around them I'm goign to wind up doing more damage, or even with a clean cut I'm concerned about the edge paint peeling up over time.

anyone have a plan for this?
tonloco

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if i am not mistaken you should only have 2 drain hole one on each side of the front foot wells that have rubberplugs that pop in and out relitivly easy
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have a few metal ones in the rear tub. If you crawl underneath your jeep, you'll see the clips that need to be squeezed together to remove the drain plugs.

My Morning Jacket
guesswho369

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is one in each footwell in the front yes - but if you take a look at the steel floor of the jeep (both front adn back) you'll see water channels - like small gutters - that run directly to 6 elongated drain plugs. these drain plugs are sunken slightly to draw water down and out of the interior, but are glued down and painted over. I've heard of people removing them - which seems like it would drain better - but had concerns about paint chipping and peeling.
guesswho369

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Keithtj - I'll take a look later tonight for those. You talking about the rear footwells?
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, I busted mine out about a year ago, but I never put them back in again.

My Morning Jacket
chappy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be a total of 6 metal plugs in the floor. They are suposed to be sealed and then painted over from the factory. They are removeable from the bottom(underside of the Jeep). There are also rubber plugs that are removeable for water drains. You can remove all of them if you want to but the rubber ones aren't going to chip the paint like removing the painted in metal plugs. I would think that this would lead to more rust issues ( I live in the midwest). Your call.

Matt
DozerDan
What the deuce?
What the deuce?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well you should try to remove then via telakenisis, it is much safer, because you will not chip your paint. also in 10 years you wont have to worry about the paint wearing because all the water you let sit in your jeep will have rotten and rusted out the tub so bad that it just wont matter.

here is what you should do

First watch http://albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php

then take a slegde hammer to the drain plugs

after that strip naked and run around the neighborhood chanting tribal songs.

If all else fails you can always just tie some cinder blocks to your feet and take a long walk off a short peir.

Or

Grab a flat head and a hammer (and your balls) and show those drain plugs whose boss, after all they are just PLUGS that were MENT to be removed, I mean how hard can it realy be... its not like a mentally retarted 5 year old can figure it out or anything
guesswho369

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid that telekinesis failed to do the trick, so I just used a carpet knife instead. Running around naked did little to move the plugs, but I did get a few dates out fo the deal. As for involving my balls and a hammer, I decided to wait and use them for the lift-kit job next week. Mr. Green
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rofl rofl rofl
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: