Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1988 Comanche pioneer dash indicators

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:42 am    Post subject: 1988 Comanche pioneer dash indicators Reply with quote

I just bought my first Jeep vehicle (1988 Comanche Pioneer) and have 2 questions

There is an up arrow that appears in the left panel of the dash. Is this a shift indicator, or is it telling me something is wrong?

How do you drain the cooling system, I would like to flush and refill coolant.

Thanks in advance,
Bill

A real rookie, but I love the power of this baby 4.0 straight 6
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: lights Reply with quote

Yeah, that up arrow is supposed to help you know when to shift up... good stuff. You must not have a factory tach. I think your year has a closed coolant system and I hear they are painfull to get the pockets of air out of. There is a Sticky link at the top of the forum page with tech writeups. One of them in there tells how to "CONVERTING CLOSED COOLING SYSTEM TO OPEN". All kinds of good stuff on this site.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There might be a tach...my wifes TJ has that stupid little arrow and it has a tach. Wink

If you do not convert to an open system right away, there's a couple of tricks to bleeding all the air out of closed systems. I'll see if I can find some links.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bill

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the info.

There is no real tach, so the upshift arrow is ok by me.

This little truck has been off the road for 4 years and was outdoors. The coolant looks dirty, and occassionally the engine gets kind of hot but has not boiled. I can see where there would be a problem totally draining the engine as the radiator is so short. I plan to replace the thermostat as old coolant and a semigood thermostat may cause my heating problem. I have only had this running for a couple of days, and spent a lot of time getting all the lights working.

The engine burns very clean, no smoke of any color. I have 5 days to get it inspected.

There is also a gas leak when over 1/2 full. Any ideas? The tank looks pretty solid. Maybe the filler tube or the plate where the guage is inserted? The stream is about the size of a straw if that is a clue. I got a manual, but it really is not adequate as the pictures cover more than one vehicle. Could you recommend a good manual. If I get everything squared away, this baby's a keeper.

Thanks again for the help

Bill
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the closed colling system itself might be compounding the problem. If there air any pockets of air, it will give you fits.

One way to make the switch is to replace the closed rad with an open style one (the difference being a cap on the open rad). The rad will cost you between $120 and $140. I would go for a all metal, 3 core GDI unit. http://www.radiator.com sells them. Mine cost me $139 shipped to my door. You'll also need an overflow bottle (to replace the closed system tank). An auto parts store should have something or you can order one from http:..www.jegs.com

A really cheap fix for it is to pick up a filler neck (Jegs again) instead of a new rad (it goes inline with the upper hose) and the overflow bottle.

As far as the gas tank leak, the only way to find it is to track it down. Over half full indicates to me that there's a hole in the upper half of the tank...but I could be wrong.

As for a good manual...go for a factory service manual. It's the only way to wrench. http://www.techauthority.daimlerchrysler.com/ might have them, but since it's an 88, you may have to special order it or go through a dealer.

Good luck with it. I love Commanches.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bill

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The radiator company denies the existence of a conventional fill radiator for the comanche. They say they only sell OEM components. Could you possibly provide an alternate source for a non-OEM conventional radiator which will fit the comanche. I am having overheating problems and would like to be able to drive more than 5 miles at a time.

If I have to I will get the other filler-hose insert, but I would like to be able to see the flow and do not mind fitting a surge tank.

Help!

Bill
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: