Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

front bumper

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
erther

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: front bumper Reply with quote

Is it illegal to remove those plastic ends on the stock tj bumper? If not, why are the screws on the bottom locked in? I was just going to remove them to see if it looked cooler, then when I got to the locked-screws, I got kinda carried away and broke the plastic ends off... Hope that wasnt really stupid.. It does look better now
95sahara

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not illegal to remove them. I took them off of my 05 about a month after I got it, there were no locking screws. The bottom screws were the same as the top ones.
PICS
ehirner

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends where you live and how a law enforcement officer would intrepret the law.

In PA, the motor vehicle code states you can't have any sharp edges sticking out from the vehicle. If you remove the end caps, the ends of the bumper are fairly sharp and stick out from the vehicle. If you caught an officer on a bad day, he could give you a hard time. Would it stand in court? Who knows. Has it been a problem in the past? Not that I've ever experienced or heard of.

I've removed all of mine and have never had a problem. The bolts aren't locked in. You may have stripped one of the clips that the bolts thread in to.
Scoob

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do any people that drive a 4 X 4 live in PA? There is a law angainst everything, why stay?
Stevo02TJ

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are laws against everything about a 4X4 everywhere. At one point I was in violation of about three of four laws at once. But like Ehirner said, most of the little stuff, the cops won't mess with.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Scoob

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevo02TJ wrote:
There are laws against everything about a 4X4 everywhere.
Not really the last couple of states I have lived in have no laws against 4X4's. Like where I am now has no laws on flares (or tires sticking out), no lift laws, no bumper hieght restictions (or shape), no laws against running doorless and no inspections. Texas was pretty close to this also. I guess I am still to much of a free mover Smile. No way would I stay in a state that decided to inact laws that stupid.
ehirner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scoob wrote:
Stevo02TJ wrote:
There are laws against everything about a 4X4 everywhere.
Not really the last couple of states I have lived in have no laws against 4X4's. Like where I am now has no laws on flares (or tires sticking out), no lift laws, no bumper hieght restictions (or shape), no laws against running doorless and no inspections. Texas was pretty close to this also. I guess I am still to much of a free mover Smile. No way would I stay in a state that decided to inact laws that stupid.

When you live here all your life, it's all you know. Besides, there's other, more pressing problems that need dealing with in the Legislature.
Stevo02TJ

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I can start to tell. I lived in PA for the summer working for my fiancee's father.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scoob wrote:
Why do any people that drive a 4 X 4 live in PA? There is a law angainst everything, why stay?

Yeah, why don't you just forgo family, friends, career, etc so you can drive a 4x4? Rolling Eyes

Furthermore, they aren't laws against 4x4's. The laws are typically designed to apply to all vehicles with safety being the end goal, however that's usually lost in the process and isn't a "one size fits all" solution.
Scoob

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code3TJ wrote:
Yeah, why don't you just forgo family, friends, career, etc so you can drive a 4x4? Rolling Eyes

You know there are places that will allow you family, friends, career and drive a vehicle with tires that stick out an inch past the flares Rolling Eyes

You don't have to give all them things up just to drive a 4X4.
Not trying to slam you or the state of PA (lord knows lots of states have stupid laws) Just referencing it to where I live now, state line between NE and Iowa . Nebraska has a helmet law for motorcycles, Iowa does not. You will find many more people living on the IA side that ride Bikes. All still have the same friends, family, jobs and ride their bike without a helmet.
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I was referring to was your question about why people live in PA. It was a stupid question. Any more questions?

Riding motorcycles without helmets - another brilliant idea. But I suspect most of said riders haven't seen what a fall off a m/c at speed will do to your skull without a helmet. Hell, I hope they're also riding in shorts, thongs and a tank top. Rolling Eyes

Too bring this back on topic, as was mentioned earlier in this thread, laws vary by state. Some require wider bumpers than others. Good idea to know your state's laws because ignorance is not an excuse and arguing it isn't going to win you any points.
IBTJn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code3TJ wrote:
Too bring this back on topic, as was mentioned earlier in this thread, laws vary by state. Some require wider bumpers than others. Good idea to know your state's laws because ignorance is not an excuse and arguing it isn't going to win you any points.

Agreed with 100%. But can one be ticketed in say PA when their rig is registered outside that state? I've always wondered that.

I truly believe that a cop can find any reason he/she wants to issue a ticket, but don't know if they can ticket someone passing through or not for vehicle spec violations...especially if the rig isn't registered in their state.

Just curious.

Wink
KnightFire

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IBTJn wrote:
Code3TJ wrote:

Agreed with 100%. But can one be ticketed in say PA when their rig is registered outside that state? I've always wondered that.

I truly believe that a cop can find any reason he/she wants to issue a ticket, but don't know if they can ticket someone passing through or not for vehicle spec violations...especially if the rig isn't registered in their state.

Just curious.

Wink

Nope, unless it is OBVIOUS that the modification wouldn't be legal in any state.

KnightFire

Amsoil Dealer
ehirner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IBTJn wrote:
Code3TJ wrote:

Just curious.

Wink

Sure they can. Police can cite you for any violation of the states motor vehicle code if you violate it. Shit, they could cite you even if you don't violate if it's against their interpretation. If they cite you and your out of state, what's easier? Pay the $105 or make travel and time-off arrangements to come back and fight it in court.
KnightFire

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehirner wrote:
Sure they can. Police can cite you for any violation of the states motor vehicle code if you violate it. Shit, they could cite you even if you don't violate if it's against their interpretation. If they cite you and your out of state, what's easier? Pay the $105 or make travel and time-off arrangements to come back and fight it in court.

Nah, they can't enforce codes from another state. If your car is registered out of state, they cannot enforce their codes on a car that is even subject to their laws.

I've been told this by a few troopers, lets just say that my car (93 Formula track car/which is 'mostly' street legal) is VERY VERY loud and has 20% tint on all windows and 35% on the windshield, I've never been pulled over (it's still registered out of state), but struck up conversations with police officers while at gas stations (usually on my way to the track). Each them of course asked about the car, I'm always willing to pop the hood Wink...they all said that the most they could was give me warning.

Just my experiences...Of course I don't go pushing their good nature, because I'm certain if they really wanted to, they could cite something.

KnightFire

Amsoil Dealer
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: