Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

jeep newbie needs advice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Parker

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject: jeep newbie needs advice Reply with quote

hi,
been thinking of getting a wrangler and have some questions:
1. i see alot of 1997 jeeps for sale with 150k miles, how many miles are these engines typically good for? would you buy a jeep with this mileage on it?
2. if i buy a brand new jeep, is it worthwhile to wait for 2006? what would be the improvements if any?
3. is the new rubicon trim essentially the replacement of the sahara trim?
4. if you are starting from scratch now, is it the better deal to get a used or new jeep?
5. i don't really plan to go rock crawling or anything, it will be my commuter, but i want a vehicle such as the jeep that can give me confidence on poorly paved forest roads; which trim level would you advise for this?
6. is the back (with seat folded down or removed) roomy enough to fit a large dog crate?
7. what is the typical insurance premium for wranglers?

sorry, lots of questions. thanks in advance. Very Happy
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: jeep newbie needs advice Reply with quote

Parker wrote:
hi,
been thinking of getting a wrangler and have some questions:
1. i see alot of 1997 jeeps for sale with 150k miles, how many miles are these engines typically good for? would you buy a jeep with this mileage on it?Thats alot of miles for any vehicle. This is when most problems start to rear thier ugly head. IF you buy cheap enough and concider a complete overhaul of the engine then fine.
2. if i buy a brand new jeep, is it worthwhile to wait for 2006? what would be the improvements if any?right now there are better deals to be had on 05's. Jeeps change very little from year to year untill they make a major retooling change. I dont remember when its happening but DC is retooling the Wrangler in the next few years. These next changes wont be recieved well by the purists....and It sound like major changes are coming.
3. is the new rubicon trim essentially the replacement of the sahara trim?
No. The Rubicon and Sahara are different packages. The main difference is the Rubicon gets front and rear air locking diffs. From there its just subtle model differences.
4. if you are starting from scratch now, is it the better deal to get a used or new jeep?This depends on a couple things. Money is the leading factor. How much do you want to spend? Time and how much do you have? is the other major factor. Build ups take time. Modding or swapping axles take time. Are you prepared to wander around junkyards looking for D44 axles or do you want to drop $10k at Currie Enterprises and have 2 complete assembles shipped to your door?
5. i don't really plan to go rock crawling or anything, it will be my commuter, but i want a vehicle such as the jeep that can give me confidence on poorly paved forest roads; which trim level would you advise for this?Any will do just fine. IF buying new all TJ models have the same basic suspension under them. Same applies from year to year on used TJ's. YJ's have leaf springs under them and work best with slightly smoother shocks, like OME. I have followed quite a few different Jeeps on back roads while heading to the trails and Ive witnessed the wheels of YJ's lift off the ground over small stutter bumps. This is what over dampened shocks do for you and this aint good. As soon as the tires start to bounce like that, then the traction is gone. Too stiff shocks like Rancho, Doeshe Tech, and Pro Comp come to mind.
6. is the back (with seat folded down or removed) roomy enough to fit a large dog crate?Yes. With the seat out is fairly roomy back there.
7. what is the typical insurance premium for wranglers?Im paying @ $1000 a year on my Rubicon.

sorry, lots of questions. thanks in advance. Very Happy

Good luck on what ever you choose. Do lots of research before you buy. IF large tires are what your after when you purchase then avoid any models with 3.07 gears. 3.07 gears are bad with 31" tires and horrible with 33" tires and even worse on anything larger. Look for at least 3.55 gears or 4.11's. IF you go for the Rube, they come ready to go w/4.11's.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
AggieDog

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another consideration is the transmission. Myself, I am a manual person and enjoy a stick shift in a jeep. Others prefer the automatic transmission.

Consider this: If you get an auto transmission and want to lift and put bigger tires on your jeep, you may not need to re-gear your front and rear differentials because auto trannies compensate somewhat for the difference.
With a manual transmission, going to larger tires will almost surely require you to re-gear front and rear differentials. That's a fair amount of money so be advised.

The benefits of one type of transmission over another really depends on you, and how you like to drive, etc. Auto's can get water in them in deep water crossings, but in really tough 4 wheeling situations an auto has advantages over a manual, so you see, it really depends on what you want.
04 Rocky Mtn Edition TJ, 4.0 L 5 Speed Manual, D44 rearend,4.56 gears, Jeeperman rear bumper, swingaway, Jamboree rack, Warn front bumper, Warn steering box skid plate, Warn oilpan skidplate, Rubicon 3.5 lift, Warn CE M8000 winch.
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, not many changes between the 05 and 06 Jeeps. Here are the different models for the 06's. http://www.jeephorizons.com/news/06_tj_090105.html

If you're looking to buy a brand new one, most of the dealerships are probably looking to get rid of the remaining 05 inventory so they have room for the 06's. You'll probably be able to get a better deal on them if you shop around. Wink
Parker

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, thanks for the advice so far...

i'm starting to think 2005 sport, maybe rubicon? sorry, i have more questions Very Happy

1. i noticed that the 2006 is a 6-speed manual and i assume the 2005 is five-speed?...anybody have any experience comparing them?

2. is the 4 cylinder underpowered? i live in seattle where there a are alot of hills.

3. should i get the stock hardtop or is aftermarket better?

4. is 4.11:1 ratio too high for daily driving?

thanks a bunch.
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 6 speed is available on the 2005 models. Here are the specs for the 2005's.
http://www.jeephorizons.com/tech/2005_tj_specs.html

I've had my Jeep (also a 4-cyl) in Seattle and it wasn't too horrible. All your traffic keeps the speeds down. Wink

If you're going to do a lot of highway driving or plan to go with taller tires, you might want to look at a 6 cylinder. That's where you really start to notice the difference between the two.

I've never had a hardtop, so can't help you there.

Last edited by Code3TJ on Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:54 am; edited 1 time in total
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parker wrote:
hey, thanks for the advice so far...

i'm starting to think 2005 sport, maybe rubicon? sorry, i have more questions Very Happy

1. i noticed that the 2006 is a 6-speed manual and i assume the 2005 is five-speed?...anybody have any experience comparing them?

2. is the 4 cylinder underpowered? i live in seattle where there a are alot of hills.Go for the I6. Just about every person I know that got the 4 cylinder realy kicked themselves later. But that said, Ive also seen the 4 banger go anywhere a I6 could. DC puts the 4.11 gears into the 4 cylinder rig to compensate for the lower HP and torque.

3. should i get the stock hardtop or is aftermarket better?Ive never seen that aftermarket was any better, so go with the stock roof.

4. is 4.11:1 ratio too high for daily driving?Not by any means. IMHO all models should come with 4.11's

thanks a bunch.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Missed the last part of your post - there's absolutely nothing wrong with 4.11's. If you're looking at the 4-cyl for better gas mileage, don't bother. They get virtually the same mileage. Wink
Parker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:54 pm    Post subject: Unlimited? Reply with quote

What about the Unlimited? anybody have any experience with this trim? at first i thought the elongated body looks odd, but i'm liking the extra storage. thanks.
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik has it, ehirner, maybe you could send him a pm and ask him his thoughts on it.

My Morning Jacket
ehirner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Unlimited? Reply with quote

Parker wrote:
What about the Unlimited? anybody have any experience with this trim? at first i thought the elongated body looks odd, but i'm liking the extra storage. thanks.

What do you want to know? It's a pretty vague question.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: