Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

exhaust mods w/ rubicon express long arm kit?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sinekal1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject: exhaust mods w/ rubicon express long arm kit? Reply with quote

I'm about to lift my unlimited with a RE 5.5'' long arm kit. I am curious what some other people have done about the need to modify the exhaust. I want to avoid taking it to a shop if possible, that whole build it yourself thing, so any info on what some othe people have done would be great. Thanks.
ehirner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: exhaust mods w/ rubicon express long arm kit? Reply with quote

sinekal1 wrote:
I'm about to lift my unlimited with a RE 5.5'' long arm kit. I am curious what some other people have done about the need to modify the exhaust. I want to avoid taking it to a shop if possible, that whole build it yourself thing, so any info on what some othe people have done would be great. Thanks.

Unless you can custom bend tube and weld yourself, you'll need to take it to an exhaust shop.

Also, my recommendation of LA kits for the Wrangler Unlimiteds does not include Rubicon Express's kit. Here's why. When RE adapted their LA kit to the longer wheelbase, they lengthened the rear arms, leaving them the ability to reuse the same crossmember and control arm mounts as the SWB. What this does is position the rear LCAs lower than what's on a comparably built SWB Wrangler. This make the arms more vulnerable for damage and will get caught easier on obstacles. RE and Full Traction both did this, and I will not recommend either of their LA kits for an Unlimited.

I strongly recommend going with a LA kit for the Unlimited that relocates the mounts and uses the arms of same length as the SWB kits. This will give you better clearance underneath. Clayton HardArms, RockKrawler, and Nth Degree went this route. It is a much better design as it doesn't leave the arms as vulnerable.
Eye4Mud

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go Nth LA Setup for an Unlimited myself.
ehirner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eye4Mud wrote:
I would go Nth LA Setup for an Unlimited myself.

I have yet to see an Nth on an Unlimited. I've heard they relocated the rear mounts also, but never seen one in real life or in pics. With the bent arms, it should be less of an issue.
Eye4Mud

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a picture of One, there are 3 others I know but I cant find pics of them though.

This one is being built by Dennis of Xtreme Unlimited, and will be at the offroad show in pomona in 2 weeks and again at Sema in Vegas in November.

This is in the middle of being build, suspension is on with stock tires, and many other parts havent been added yet. After SEMA this Jeep will ride on 6" Airock along with some other custom mods......

ehirner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noted before that arm placement for the Unlimited Nth kit isn't as critical because of the bent arms. However, from this shot on OK4WD's website of an Nth install on a SWB TJ, it doesn't look like Nth changed their mount location. It's still located between the 2nd and 3rd side body mount.

Eye4Mud

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct, it is the same for the LWB, just makes the LCA's longer.
sinekal1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So thanks for the advice on kits, but I am definitly going with RE for a few reasons. Most importantly I live in Sacramento and they are 5 minutes from where I work, meaning any bent control arms can be replaced quickly. Another is that they are a very customer oriented company who is more than willing to give you significant price breaks or even free replacement parts for peices everyone would agree whould hold up to certain abuses, like say a control arm on a long arm kit getting dragged on a rock. For instance, I have a close friend who lifted his jeep using a very similar competitors product, Im sure we all know who that is, and as the parts failed him, bent control arms, springs, etc., RE gave him a significant price break for bringing in another kits failed parts.

So that out of the way. My understanding is that the fitment issues on these types of long arm kits is that the stock muffler, being absolutly huge, is in the way of the upper control arms on the long arm kits. If this is true, then an aftermarket cat back exhaust, which uses a much much smaller muffler, and running the pipes in the stock location should fit. Is this correct??
Eye4Mud

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely, a lot of people including myself use the magnaflow muffler, very small, depending on how far you stick the inlet tube inside may produce a louder exhaust note than some prefer.
sinekal1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you use one of the magnaflow universal mufflers, because thats exactly what I was thinking of using. Do you remeber which size pipe you got, or what size pipe is coming out of the catalytic converter. After the muffler, did you run the pipe through the same path as the stock setup.
Harry Hood

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: muffler Reply with quote

i used a spin tech muffler just as small as the series 40 but not as loud
Eye4Mud

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a pic of it, it is the smallest one they make I believe, I cant remember the model number though they use it on the ricers I think. The pipe is 2" from the cat to the muffler and then I used my stock exhaust so from the outside it still looks stock.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: