Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jeep Grand Cherokee tranny problems

View previous topic :: View next topic  
briansue

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:01 am    Post subject: Jeep Grand Cherokee tranny problems Reply with quote

I have a ’94 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited w/ 5.2L V8 with what I believe is a 46RH transmission. Yesterday the Jeep would not start in Park. I fooled around with it for a while and it started in Neutral but would not start I Park. When I started to drive it would not upshift from Low. I could force it to shift if I let up on the gas pedal. If I pressed too hard on the pedal it would downshift to Low again. I can drive the car but I have to force each shift by letting up on the gas. I did not get a Check Engine light but I turned the key on and off and on and off a couple of times to get the diagnostic codes – nothing showing there.

We live on a small island off the east coast of Puerto Rico. There are few mechanics here and they don’t seem to be very good mechanics. I took it to the only guy who works on transmissions. I explained what was happening. He did not check out the car or take it for a drive. He said there is a valve between the transmission cooler and the transmission that got stuck and the transmission overheated and burned up. He did not check the fluid but I did and it does not appear to be or smell like it is burned. He said the transmission needs to be rebuilt for $1,600.

On another car we had a similar problem a couple of years ago. Another mechanic checked it with a computer and said it was a module that communicates between the accelerator and the transmission. He cleaned the plug to that model and the car has worked fine ever since. I think maybe some sort of module or relay or plug or something in the linkage could be the problem with this Jeep. But I do not know where the modules are or what they look like or how to check them. – Output Speed Sensor? – Throttle Position Sensor? - MAP Sensor? - Powertrain Control Module? – Transmission Control Module? Could it be one of these? How would I check to find out?

I do a lot of my own repairs because of the lack of mechanics here but I am not a mechanic. It is difficult to get parts here. Can anyone out there give me any ideas about what I can do to check out this transmission? Thanks for any help.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a recal on the shift detent it will allow the vehicle to think its not in park.. Therefore not starting.. If you have a Jeep dealer near you bring it there ...If not maybe you can write to one that is nearby and they can tell you what to do..

dont spend alot of money on this till you do the recal work..

Throttle position sensor also controls the shifting..

Might want to make sure you have a bulb in your check engine light position just in case..

If it where one of the shift solinoids you would get a code..

Hope that helps.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
briansue

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your help. I believe this transmission is a 46RH which is what the book says should be in this car. As far as I can tell there is no Output Speed Sensor on this transmission - I can't find one and they don't show one in the parts manual. The car will start sometimes when it is in park but not every time. It will always start in Neutral no problem. I have tried the codes and get nothing. The light does light and blinks to say it has checked the codes. I am not sure how to adjust cables or how that would affect shifting. The vehicle is driveable but I have to force it to shift by letting off the pedal. If I apply too much pressure it will downshift again. I checked the fluid and it appears clean and not burned. Fluid and filter were changed in the last year. Still looks fine. The transmission does not slip and pulls strong. Someone suggested the Throttle Position Sensor but I am not sure what that does. I was able to find it and know where it is but I don't know what it does. There is a cable that goes from the throttle linkage to what appears to be some sort of vacuum can mounted on the fender well - this cable appears to be slack. Other cables appear to be OK but I am not sure what they all do or how to adjust - or how they should be adjusted. This car has the towing package so it has the large trans cooler. I don't know how to check pressure and probably don't have the tools to do this. On this small island the car rarely gets driven more than 3 or 4 miles at a time. Would that be enough for it to heat up and burn the transmission. It has been used to tow a boat but not for several months before this problem showed up. The mechanic who said the transmission needs to be rebuilt did not even ask what year it was or check to see which transmission it was. He never drove the car or saw it driven and he never looked under the hood. Maybe he really knows what he is talking about but I just have a hard time believing him. To get to the nearest Jeep dealer I would have to take a ferry. It takes about a month to get a reservation on the ferry. It is very difficult to get things like this done here. Thanks for any help.
1fox2go

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds to me like that mechanic is trying to rip you off

could it be the neutral saftey switch?
irwinr

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Jeep doesn't like to start in Park sometimes either, you can either put it in neutral, OR just push the shifter as far forward as it will go as you crank the engine.
cajzmere

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, this sounds like two separate things to me. It sounds like you have the VERY common neutral safety switch problem, which is a switch that won't let the engine start unless it's in park or neutral. You have heard the 2 things to do for that... push all the forward on shifter or start it in neutral. It also sounds like you have a out of adjustment T.V. cable. This cable works with your throttle position sensor(TPS) to change gears.(simplified explanation) Please buy a service book such as Haynes or Chilton, and follow the VERY simple steps to adjust or replace the T.V. cable. I think that mechanic is full of sheeyat, and thinks (or knows) that you've got money to waste. If you search around this forum, i bet you can find how to check adjustments. The book will be better, has pics and everything. Good luck Bro!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: