Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question on CRD oil change periods

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DieselBenz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject: Question on CRD oil change periods Reply with quote

I got a Liberty CRD in June, and have put about 3,500 miles on it. When I picked it up at the dealer, he recommended that I go with the 6,000-mile oil change plan. I understand that newer diesels require less frequent oil changes, but have a hard time getting used to the idea. I also have an '87 Mercedes 300D that I've had for years and change the oil every 3,000 miles (has about 214,000 miles on it now). I'd feel better changing the oil at 3k miles on the Jeep too, but also realize that sometimes it's best to go with what's suggested ... other times the dealers don't give the best advice.

What is the best oil change period? Is 6k miles really the healthiest thing, or would I be gaining anything at all by changing it on the same distance schedule as my Benz? I plan to have the car for a long time, so I'm not averse to spending a little more.
1975 Mercedes-Benz 240D, W115, OM616 (in a coma)

Real cars don't have spark plugs
95sahara

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The welding technology instructor at the school that I'm an instructional assistant in the auto tech shop has an 04 Ford Powerstroke and he gets it done by us every 5000 miles. Just some food for thought.
PICS
DieselBenz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

95sahara wrote:
The welding technology instructor at the school that I'm an instructional assistant in the auto tech shop has an 04 Ford Powerstroke and he gets it done by us every 5000 miles. Just some food for thought.

One thing about the Powerstroke is that it's a large engine in a large truck, so it probably has a bigger oil pan, although I'm just guessing. My dad has a Freightliner truck that goes for much longer without OCs than our smaller cars. As far as I know, big rigs go longer (milewise) without changes.

That said, my sister's Jetta (1.9L TDI) goes forever without changes because of the technology in both the engine and the oil. I just wonder how long these diesels that only get changed once every 6k will last in the very very long run, since we don't have any examples to draw from yet.
1975 Mercedes-Benz 240D, W115, OM616 (in a coma)

Real cars don't have spark plugs
95sahara

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the powerstroke holds 4 gallons (16qt.) of oil. We actually just changed it for him on Thursday.
PICS
Derek Mc

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the UK the CRD Jeeps get a 6K change. Due to the extortionate fuel costs $7 per gallon, most sedans are diesel burners too and my company Ford 4 door gets service by the book at 12,500 intervals.
The common Rail Diesel runs far cleaner than an indirect injection like the Merc, so there is less sludge buildup now. Also the oil has far higher tolerance due to the Turbo and has greater detergent.
6K is fine, honestly, if it suggested 12K I too would to my own inbetween changes Razz
Old Navy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

6000 mile oil change is on the low side for syntetic oil change period. Industry standard is 250 hrs before oil change (1 engine hr = 45 miles (US) and fuel filter change is 500 hrs you can do the math) and for a new engine I would do the first oil & filter change at 5,000 to 6,000 mile range and then 10,000 to 12,000 mile range there after if using synthetic oil. My personal feeling as far as the Mobil 1 0w-40 goes is it's not good enough at carrying soot, the Mobil 1 Truck & SUV 5w-40 oil (same as Delvac 1 5w-40) has a lot more soot carrying capabilities and would be better to use until the ULSD (Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel) become available or till at least B100 or B99 is in regular useage. After that (July '06) it would probably be better with the 0w-40 oil for ease of starts and the small % increase of fuel economy that you or I can't even measure in daily driving.

My '83 MB diesel always had 5,000 mile oil changes with non synthetic oil and when it was switched to synthetic Mobil Delvac 1 5w-40 oil at 110,000 mile mark the oil change period was bumped to 10,000 mile mark, sold the car about this time last year with 150,000 miles and the car is under same oil change cycle by new owner and is doing just fine. Forget to mention the oil useage which had been about 1/2 to 3/4 qt between changes dropped to about a cup or 8 oz after the change to synthetic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Liberty Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: