Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Leaking D35

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KnightFire

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:47 pm    Post subject: Leaking D35 Reply with quote

Well, I've noticed that after my RTV job a few months ago, I had a slow but steady leak in the D35. So, I said the hell with it and bought some lube locker gaskets and did the job over again.

The problem? The damn thing is leaking faster now than it was before!!! I used a razor blade, thuroughly cleand the RTV off both mating surfaces, torqued the bolts down and it's leaking like a sieve!

Can anyone offer any suggestions?!?! I got mad after 4 hrs and quit, needed to cool off before I took my hammer to the body of the Jeep, lol.

So does anyone have any suggestions? I'm going to buy a torque wrench to ensure the bolts are properly torqued down...other than that, I don't have a clue why it's leaking...

KnightFire

Amsoil Dealer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
quadna71

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

either buy a new OEM cover (dime a dozen) or pony up for a nice crane or BTF cover. better quality and bucco protection to boot!
chris (are you letting it "skin" up before installing?)
KnightFire

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have poison spyder diff covers on there already...so you think the cover is tweaked? I haven't banged it at all...no sign of warpage...what do you mean by skin up? I didn't use RTV this time, just a gasket.

KnightFire

Amsoil Dealer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

allowing it to skin means to let it air dry a bit so that the rtv dries a little.

Ive never used the gaskets, just ultra copper rtv on both mounting surfaces and skin over like Chris says. When allowed to skin, the rtv wont squish out as easily as it does when wet. Also dont over do the rtv either....too much can be a problem too.

After putting the diff cover on and snuggling the bolts down as even as you can, allow the rtv to dry for a few hours before adding gear oil.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
KnightFire

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So your thinking I should give the RTV another shot and lose the lube locker gasket?

I did let it dry a bit last time before mounting and adding fluid, but I didn't apply it to both mating surfaces, just the cover.

The thing is, it is REAL hard not to slide the cover around during install with the diff. gaurd on it, basically you have to hold the cover and the gaurd over top of the cover while trying to get a bolt in with one hand...I think that was why I had a small leak last time, it had smeared a bit.

Would it be a terrible idea to use the RTV WITH the gasket?

KnightFire

Amsoil Dealer
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KnightFire wrote:
So your thinking I should give the RTV another shot and lose the lube locker gasket? Ive done this many times myself....no gasket just make sure the surfaces are clean..this is a must and for years Ive used the copper based rtv without failure. Ive heard good things about the lube locker gaskets, but sounds like in this case it isnt working as intended.

I did let it dry a bit last time before mounting and adding fluid, but I didn't apply it to both mating surfaces, just the cover.Yup apply to both surfaces....a thin even coat as best you can anyway. you dont want more than @1mm thick on either surface...too thick dosnet help and just makes a mess.

The thing is, it is REAL hard not to slide the cover around during install with the diff. gaurd on it, basically you have to hold the cover and the gaurd over top of the cover while trying to get a bolt in with one hand...I think that was why I had a small leak last time, it had smeared a bit.Allowing the skin to form will help with this. Does your guard go over the stock cover? Any like that Ive seen dont use the top bolts, so maybe get a few of the upper ones started first. Snug all the bolts a little to start. I like to do a star pattern when I tighten, simular to wheel lug nuts and dont over tighten any of them. If memory serves me the torque on them is only @15-20 ft.lbs, so fairly light. Ive never used a torque wrench on them, but just tightened them up by feel.

Would it be a terrible idea to use the RTV WITH the gasket?If you mean use rtv with the Lube Locker, then yes its a bad idea. The Lube locker gasket is siliconed based and using rtv silicone will cause instant failure with any Ive seen. Ive never used the Lube Locker brand, but any silicone gasket Ive ever used either was marked to not use silicone sealants or had a note on the box etc. Ever one Ive used was meant to be used dry.

KnightFire

ehirner

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KnightFire wrote:
So your thinking I should give the RTV another shot and lose the lube locker gasket?

Yes
Quote:
The thing is, it is REAL hard not to slide the cover around during install with the diff. gaurd on it, basically you have to hold the cover and the gaurd over top of the cover while trying to get a bolt in with one hand...I think that was why I had a small leak last time, it had smeared a bit.

Get two 3-4" long bolts that will thread into the holes for the cover bolts. Cut the heads off. Thread these pegs into two holes on the differential. I use two at the top of the sides before it starts to curve in at the top. Goop up the cover, let it set up, slide it over the pegs. Install the remainder of the bolts, remove the pegs, reinstall bolts in holes pegs were it. Final torque all the bolts.
Quote:
Would it be a terrible idea to use the RTV WITH the gasket?
I've used RTV and a paper gasket to solve a leaking problem I was having. After every wheeling trip, I'd have a leak in one or both diffs and would need to reseal them. I went to an RTV/paper gasket/RTV layered setup and haven't had a problem since.
KnightFire

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice guys, I'm going to ditch the gasket and try the RTV again, only this time I'll use your tips.

I'm also going to put the cover on without the diff gaurd, that will make it easier (they use all the bolt holes). Then I'll wait a week or so and put the gaurds back on.

KnightFire

Amsoil Dealer
KnightFire

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worked like a champ, I used RTV again, but this time I didn't try to put on the diff. gaurd with the cover. I'll put the gaurd on next weekend once the RTV is nice and set.

I did notice that my front diff is leaking a bit too (sigh)...so I guess I'll be tackling the front next weekend as well.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Amsoil Dealer
mucker111

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="WhatWasIThinkin"][quote="KnightFire"]
I did let it dry a bit last time before mounting and adding fluid, but I didn't apply it to both mating surfaces, just the cover.Yup apply to both surfaces....a thin even coat as best you can anyway. you dont want more than @1mm thick on either surface...too thick dosnet help and just makes a mess.

KnightFire, you sure you don't mean a 1cm coating?
my creditcard is 1mm thick!
KnightFire

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="mucker111"][quote="WhatWasIThinkin"]
KnightFire wrote:

KnightFire, you sure you don't mean a 1cm coating?
my creditcard is 1mm thick!

Actually thats a quote from WhatWasIThinkin' Smile

But to answer your question, I definitely used more than 1mm of RTV, LOL. I think part of the problem last time was that I was too minimalistic...this time I put on a HEALTHY bead, worked like a champ.

KnightFire

Amsoil Dealer
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1cm thick? Shocked to both surfaces? shock

thats almost an inch of rtv schpoo.......that would be a bit much. Wink

1mm thick is okay as long as its applies to both mating surfaces. Not just a 1mm bead...that wouldnt be enough.

KnightFire

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhatWasIThinkin wrote:
1cm thick? Shocked to both surfaces? shock

thats almost an inch of rtv schpoo.......that would be a bit much. Wink

1mm thick is okay as long as its applies to both mating surfaces. Not just a 1mm bead...that wouldnt be enough.

Nope, couldn't reach the diff. entirely to put a bead all the way around, so I just put a healthy bead on the diff. cover.

Amsoil Dealer
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah thats something I forgot about untill you mentioned it.

How to get to the diff? Its tight in there.

I used my DangerJack2000 aka...the highlift and raised the body up high enough so that I could get at the diff easier.

ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I jack it up, put standjacks at the frame and drop the axle. On both our Jeeps that usually gives plenty of clearance (from the gas tank) to get in there and work.

My $0.02

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Drivetrain All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: