Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WTF? Help!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nixt

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 2:26 am    Post subject: WTF? Help! Reply with quote

Okay,
Here's my latest dilemma: my check engine light has been on for 3 days. There are no apparent mechanical problems (noises, smoke, etc). As soon as it came on I made sure all the filler caps were tight and the light stayed on. I have been driving it around like this trying to find someone to do a diagnostic check on it for less than $85. Also, the interior lights will not go off at all unless I switch the automatic headlamps to the always on position- they won't even go off when I switch the headlamps to the off position. It has been raining alot here lately and in the past I have noticed that if I nail a good sized puddle the airbag light will come on but it goes off after everything dries out. Then today after leaving the local dealer and finding out I need two new upstream O2 sensors for an estimate of around $300,(which they say has nothing to do with the interior lamps) I get out of the Jeep and in a fury of rage I slam the teatotal hell out of the door. When I hop back in to go check my mailbox -I have a long driveway- everything is kosher and back to normal. Is there just moisture somewhere screwing things up or is there a loose wire somewhere? Has anyone else had this problem? Am I on the verge of an expensive electrical overhaul? Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Nixt
Venomized

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pull the negative cable on the battery to reset EVERYTHING. Drive it till you have problems. If the CEL comes on again go see the guys at Autozone and they will scan for the codes for free.

If you can change your oil you can change an O2 sensor with the right tools. Can buy an O2 socket anywhere. Quality helps with this tool as it is a socket missing part of 1 sidewall for a passage for the wire. Cheap sockets will flex and slip on the sensor.

2001 WJ, not much stuff

2005 Gulfstream Conquest LE, fun toy
nixt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:23 pm    Post subject: o2 Reply with quote

If the check engine light does come on again and it is the O2 sensor, should I go ahead and change both the upstream or downstream sensors? I've got about 125,000 miles on it and I need to get my emissions tested in early February. I know on OBD-II Land Rovers it seems best to change them all at once since they all seem to go at about the same time.
Venomized

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer to change sensors only when they go bad. Why replace a working part?

Some will say to change them both or change them on a 2 year or 60,000 mile basis. Wasted money to me.

The upstream WILL effect fuel economy, the downstream only turns on the CEL. I busted my downstream trying to remove it and ran for a month with no ill effects.

If it were my Jeep I would only change the bad sensor and not change any others until they faulted a couple of times or effected driveability.

2001 WJ, not much stuff

2005 Gulfstream Conquest LE, fun toy
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: