Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rear end "clunk"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
seajay

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:08 am    Post subject: Rear end "clunk" Reply with quote

I am a newbe to Jeeps. Some quick info, I'm retired and a better than average shade tree mech. Last week I bought a 1998 Cherokee Sport. 4.0, auto. 154k miles. The thing is in excellent cond and only used for occasional runs into town and towing an 18' boat. Milage means nothing to me as I never found anything I couldn't repair in the garage.
Here's the question. The "clunk" in the rear pumpkin when I put it in drive. this only happens occasionally but after reading some other forum letters it looks like this is a common problem. The U joints are solid, there is no slap in the drivetrain when I twist the driveshaft in park. When the driveshaft is hand turned while in neutral there is some slight play, hence the "clunk". Is the problem serious? Whan needs to be replaced. I have a Haynes manual. Reminder -- I do not off road with this baby.
Thanks
Seajay
majikxms

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine sometimes does that when I come around a corner, I still haven't figured that one out. (98' as well). I don't think it's anything serious. I've been doing allot of urban wheeling lately and I've not had any negative affect from the mysterious clunk. Could it be something with the limited slip? Does yours have one?
seajay

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:12 am    Post subject: da clunk Reply with quote

Only happens occasionally when I shift into "drive" from neut. I havn't had the vehicle long enough to notice it any other times. I'm suspecting something in the driveshaft splines since this topic comes up in other forums. I think I'll just deal with it until something major happens and then I'll know for sure. Thanks for the reply though, I'll post if repairs are needed and what I had to do.
Seajay
Eye4Mud

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar issue, and it was the carrier bolts had come loose inside the rear diff.
seajay

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pic. Thanks for the reply. I have a feeling sooner or later I'll be tearing the rear end apart, hopefully later. When I do I will post pics etc.
WhoRunIt1475

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i also noticed in my 01 GC laredo when i go around a corner sometimes i get a "Clunk" makes me kinda wonder
Ptown_bogger

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it could be one of two things i believe. its either a bad transmission mount, or the clutches are worn out in your Limited Slip. Check those if you are still confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Drivetrain All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: